• Rental Property Investor
  • Allentown PA, United States
Votes |
Rolling the dice to BRRRR?

Bill Goodland
Posted Mar 21 2017, 09:17

I have heard that finding a lender to refinance your property after buying, rehabbing, and renting it out can be difficult and that this strategy really leaves you at the mercy of the bank. In everyones opinion, does trying to do as much volume as possible to BRRRR SFRs and small multis a viable strategy considering many banks won't let you get more than 4, or 10 loans depending on who you ask. I understand portfolio lenders exist and can be hard to find, but I'm curious if people who rather move to higher price point properties such as commercial buildings to prioritize value per loan, or try your best to bundle multiple properties on one or a handful of loans?

User Stats

Votes
Brent Coombs
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Mar 21 2017, 09:54

"Rolling the dice" CAN be an apt description - if (after proper research) you're not confident whether you've found a deal or not, but you go ahead and buy it anyway!

And FUTURE appraisals are by definition: guesstimates. But should be: CALCULATED ones!

Certainly, your business relationship/s with Lender/s can make or break your scaling desires.

But, no need to get ahead of yourself regarding multiple loans. 

How about: succeed with one first - and gain credibility thereafter as a natural consequence!?...

User Stats

Votes
Joe Norman
  • Investor, Realtor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
  • Investor, Realtor
  • Baltimore, MD
Replied Mar 22 2017, 03:06

I strongly suggest you establish a relationship with multiple mortgage providers prior to Buying your first BRRR. While underwriting guidelines can change, I think its important that you have your refinance strategy in place and have confidence that you will be able to get your money out and repeat after you are done your rehab. Talk to other investors in your area who have completed successful BRRR projects and ask who they have used to refinance, and be sure to talk to multiple lenders - not all loan products are created the same. Good luck!

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.

User Stats

Votes
JD Martin
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
Votes |
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
ModeratorReplied Mar 22 2017, 03:36

Most people move in a linear fashion, i.e. they get one, then two, then three refinances etc, then move the refis into a commercial loan, etc. Getting the 5th loan is easier than getting the 1st. Your track record is going to carry a lot of weight when you start talking about financing, and only crazy lenders are going to give you major commercial loans or bundle properties without any proof of success on your part. 

User Stats

Votes
Bill Goodland
Votes |
Replied Mar 22 2017, 08:30

Thanks for the input everyone. I understand I should focus on one deal at a time. But always love to bounce ideas off people more experienced than me to prioritize future strategies.

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Romines
  • Lender
  • Winlock, WA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Winlock, WA
Replied Mar 22 2017, 10:11

As mentioned above. One of the 1st things you need to do is nail down your lender. The lender may be able to help with the purchase and rehab, or maybe that is done by private or hard money, but the lender should be able to analyze your expected refinance and its numbers to get you pre-approved in advance of purchasing the property. 

By the time you get to the refinance, some things may change, appraisal values, market rents, but for the most part you should be in the ball park and can adjust as needed. 

Some lenders are limited to 4 financed properties, some can go as high as 10 financed properties? You would also want to find a portfolio lender so that once you hit the 10 properties you can then roll those into the portfolio loan and potentially have a clean slate for 10 new residential loans? You need to ask your residential banker how they view portfolio loans if they are held on a commercial loan that is either a non-recourse loan (meaning not personally guaranteed) or a recourse loan (personally guaranteed)? Does this count with their underwriting standards as a financed property and therefore you have gained nothing?

Do your homework in advance, so once you start the ball rolling you know specifically what the game plan is and its now down to execution. 

User Stats

Votes
Patrick O'Neill
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Houston, TX
Replied Mar 22 2017, 11:14

There are several lenders I work with that have variable tolerances for DTI ratios and other borrower criteria. I've found that the lenders that keep their loans in-house, and not sell them off to a servicing company, seem to be less stringent and have more flexibility to write loans since their underwriting is done in-house. Good hunting.

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Lee
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Mar 22 2017, 15:03

As some people have stated above, at some point the banks are going to cap you at a certain number of properties--where you will then have to move onto private lenders for blanket loans. While they typically have minimum requirements to secure a blanket loan, there really is no limit cap to how much they can offer and thus you can continue with your BRRRR plan. PM me if you want to discuss further.