Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Goals, Business Plans & Entities
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Kelly DeWinter
Votes |
Property Management Basics

Kelly DeWinter
Posted

We started out Investing in small rental properties and have had good success with managing the properties. Long story short, we have picked up an additional 3 commercial and 2 residential properties to manage through word of mouth. After a year it's become clear that we would like to expand our Residential Property Management. So a our questions:

. What is a reasonable property management goal (number of units) to shoot for in a 1,3 and 5 year basis
. What are 5 ways of generating leads for residential properties to manage
. I have the ability to generate a list of Landlords in my area, Are there template mail letters/post cards that we can use to get started

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied

I don't have time to answer all your questions but here's a start.

A reasonable goal? That depends on your market. In Houston you may be able to pick up hundreds in one year. In my area, you'll be luck to pick up 20 (particularly because you're competing against me!). You'll have to study your market and make that determination for yourself. It's not only determined by the number of units available but by the quality of property managers already in the market and how you can differentiate yourself enough to attract the business.

How to generate leads? Once your company is set up, market heavily to real estate agencies. The vast majority of agents know nothing about property management, nor do they want to. Set up a referral system where agents are paid a referral fee for every Landlord they send to you that signs a contract. How much do you pay? That depends on what the business is worth to you. If a single-family earns you $100 a month, it's reasonable to pay $200 - $300 for that business. I personally offer $200 for a single-family and then $50 per unit on multi-family properties.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Chris Matson
Pro Member
  • Spring, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Spring, TX
Replied

Something else to keep in mind.  Managing your own properties is fine but in TX if you open it up to others you need to operate under a broker’s license.  Good luck!

Guardian Property Management Logo
Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
Baselane is the Ultimate All-In-One Banking Platform for REI Built with integrated rent collection & bookkeeping to save time so you can grow your RE business.

User Stats

Votes
Kelly DeWinter
Votes |
Replied
Originally posted by @Nathan Gesner:

How to generate leads? Once your company is set up, market heavily to real estate agencies. The vast majority of agents know nothing about property management, nor do they want to. Set up a referral system where agents are paid a referral fee for every Landlord they send to you that signs a contract. How much do you pay? That depends on what the business is worth to you. If a single-family earns you $100 a month, it's reasonable to pay $200 - $300 for that business. I personally offer $200 for a single-family and then $50 per unit on multi-family properties.

Thanks Nathan;

I've started to create a marketing plan to Realtors and have access to a database of active agents in my area. I'm not a marketing Guru so this is going to take awhile LOL.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied

@Kelly DeWinter I think a key component of the marketing plan is demonstrating value. The agent needs to understand why they should send business to you. I do that a couple ways:

1. I pay them. It's only $200 but that's better than nothing and doesn't require much effort on their part.

2. I have marketing information that demonstrates I'm a professional. I compare my services to those of the "competition" and the private Landlord: online payments, solid screening, no evictions in 5 years, over 340 rentals under management, member of NARPM and higher code of ethics, etc.

3. I offer a guarantee: if the client decides to sell the home down the road, I pay the referring agent a referral fee.

They get paid, they know their client is going to a professional, and they know they'll get paid again if the client decides to sell. Win, win, win!

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo