• Huntington Beach, CA
Votes |
San Antonio House Hack

Gregory Murphy
  • Investor
  • Huntington Beach, CA
Posted May 1 2022, 20:16

Hey BP!

After 3 years of saving, learning everything about real estate investing that I could possibly get my hands on, hundreds of hours listening to the BP Podcasts, and many late nights scrolling through Redfin and Zillow, It is finally time for me to start my real estate investing journey. I am going to house hack my first investment property in San Antonio, I am looking for single family houses with a detached studio. I got pre-approved, have a great agent and currently have offers placed on properties. My plan is to live in the detached studio for a year while renting out the main house or putting it on Air BNB, then after a year I will buy another one and rent the studio out! I was curious to know if anyone here has Air BNBs in San Antonio, I would love to connect and hear your thoughts on Air BNB in the San Antonio market. I'm looking in the north east part of San Antonio in the surrounding areas of Alamo Heights. What are your guys thoughts on the east side of San Antonio? I have heard mixed reviews. Also, any advice from other investers who have Property in San Antonio would be amazing! I am looking to build my network with people who genuinley love real estate investing and would love to connect with anyone who fits that box.

User Stats

Votes
Josef Hardi
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied May 3 2022, 15:42

Congrats on your journey Gregory, that's exciting! 

I am also researching about STR and have been using airdna to get data on my local market. Also- checkout robuilt's videos on YouTube, he goes through STR strategies that you might find helpful.

All the best!

User Stats

Votes
Robert Finn
  • Realtor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied May 18 2022, 16:39

Congrats on taking the leap!

I also took the leap to invest in San Antonio real estate last year. We were able to buy in 78209 (Alamo Heights) and 78250, South of Helotes. The demand is there, especially on the STR side. My wife and I hit super host pretty quickly. East side of town, in my opinion, is still up and coming. There should quite a few deals there, but do due diligence within the neighborhoods. Windcrest is fairly close to I-35 on the east side, and you can get to downtown pretty quick. Best of luck on your journey, let me know if I can help further!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Gregory Murphy
  • Investor
  • Huntington Beach, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Huntington Beach, CA
Replied Jun 4 2022, 14:04

Thanks for the info Robert! I decided to stay away from the east side of San Antonio, I wanted to target the NE part of San Antonio due to it being closer in proximity to New Braunfels and Austin. I am hoping the appreciation we are seeing in those markets will start to flood into the NE part of San Antonio in the near future. I am currently in escrow on a property in close Proximity to Randolph AFB, it has great value add potential and is a good potential STR or even long term rental since rents have been rising pretty rapidly in that area.

User Stats

Votes
Robert Finn
  • Realtor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Jun 4 2022, 15:55

My pleasure to help Gregory! I have family that really enjoy living in that area. Plenty of shopping/dining at the Forum, Randolph AFB, and being close to 1604/1-35/ and 1-10! You should do well there, keep me posted on how you do! I may be scaling in the near future toward that area.

User Stats

Votes
Anissa Olivares
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Jun 8 2022, 11:22
Quote from @Gregory Murphy:

Thanks for the info Robert! I decided to stay away from the east side of San Antonio, I wanted to target the NE part of San Antonio due to it being closer in proximity to New Braunfels and Austin. I am hoping the appreciation we are seeing in those markets will start to flood into the NE part of San Antonio in the near future. I am currently in escrow on a property in close Proximity to Randolph AFB, it has great value add potential and is a good potential STR or even long term rental since rents have been rising pretty rapidly in that area.

Congratulations on your real estate journey here in SA! You are right about rental here, the market for rentals is at 60% compared to owning. Don't steer to far away from the E-side however NE it is one of the fastest growing areas here as well. The east side may not be right for you now but definitely a growing space with huge gains. Good luck!!  

User Stats

Votes
Gregory Murphy
  • Investor
  • Huntington Beach, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Huntington Beach, CA
Replied Jun 8 2022, 20:50

Thanks for the response Anissa, I mispoke in my last response. I meant to say I was staying away from the west side, the NE portion is where I targeted and ended up purchasing