User Stats

Votes
Taylor Novara
Votes |
Newbie Investor Question: Best Job to Learn Real Estate

Taylor Novara
Posted Dec 12 2022, 06:31

Hello! 

I am a brand new investor with little to no real estate experience. My wife and I are moving back to Birmingham this summer, and I am planning to invest in real estate when we do. In your opinion, what is the best job that will teach me the skills necessary to be a real estate investor? 

A little background info: My wife is a high income professional in the medical field and I am an educator. Our plan is for me to leave the teaching field and invest in real estate full-time when we return to Bham in the summer. I don't have any work experience in real estate, but I started reading and trying to learn what I could back in 2020. I have read a few of Brandon Turner's books and a few others, about 5 or 6 books in total. So I would like to obtain a job in real estate where I could work full-time while we begin buying rentals. 

Our initial strategy is to buy single-family homes for buy-and-hold long term rental in and around Birmingham. We are looking at buying at least one home per year for the next 10-15 years. I assume our plan can/will evolve over time as we are interested in small multi-family, as well. 

So back to my question: what would be the best job for me to gain valuable experience? After a little online research, it seems something in acquisitions, so that I can learn to analyze deals, or property management, so that I can learn the day-to-day operations, would be the best positions. Thoughts?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!  

Loading replies...