Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Evan Alexakos
Votes |
Creative ways to raise funds as a beginner

Evan Alexakos
Posted Dec 18 2022, 22:16

Hello everyone,

I remember reading in Brandon Turner's book that some people hunt deals for real-estate investors and was wondering if I could do so as practice for spotting deals (and a way to raise money for down-payment). The assumption is that I'd only get paid if the house gets sold and, while I would try to find a good deal, the responsibility of it being "good" would lie with the buyer analyzing the house themselves. 

Is this a feasible idea?

Any other creative ways to raise funds?

User Stats

Votes
Whit B.
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied Dec 18 2022, 23:00

This is 100% feasible. In fact, if you bring me a good deal I will be your first customer in line. 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Dec 19 2022, 04:49
Quote from @Evan Alexakos:

This is referred to as bird-dogging or wholesaling. A wholesaler will find a property and get it under contract, then they try to "sell" that contract to an investor for a markup while leaving enough meat on the bone that the investor feels it's still a good deal. For example, you find a fourplex that is worth $400,000 but the seller accepts an offer of $370,000. You give it to the investor at $375,000. You get $5,000 for finding the deal and the investor gets the property $25,000 below market.

A bird-dog usually gets paid a flat dollar amount or a percentage for each deal found. Maybe you get 1% of the sales price ($3,750 for a $375,000 property). Or maybe you get a flat fee of $XXXX.

My recommendation is that you network with investors and start building a buyer's list. Figure out what each investor is looking for and what they are willing to pay you for the deal. If one investor offers $500 for a deal and the other offers 0.5% of the sales price, find a deal and offer it to the investor that's willing to pay the most.

Go to NETWORK at the top of your screen and you can search for other investors and investment groups in your area. You can also check meetup.com or search facebook for real estate investment groups, clubs, or meetings in your area.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo
BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Dec 19 2022, 06:45

It's a good idea, now you have to find the deal. Which is a lot harder than finding the money     

User Stats

Votes
Wale Lawal
Agent
#2 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Votes |
Agent
#2 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Replied Dec 20 2022, 13:35

@Evan Alexakos

Today’s investors should be equipped with not one but several financing options before approaching a deal. Going straight to a traditional lender for a mortgage may seem simple, but this approach will not always guarantee the best loan terms. In many cases, finding the best financing will require investors to get a little creative. That being said, there are so many unique ways to finance real estate it can be hard to fully understand what’s out there. The following creative financing options are a great place to start:

1. Cash-Out Refinance
  2. Home Equity Line Of Credit
  3. Personal Loan
  4. Seller Financing
  5. Lease Option
  6. Self-Directed IRA
  7. Hard Money
  8. Private Money
  9. FHA Loans
  10. Crowdfunding
  11. Cross Collateral

All the best!