Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
N/A N/A
Votes |
Credit Partner?

N/A N/A
Posted Aug 3 2008, 10:53

Does anyone know anything about, or have experience with being a "credit partner"? I saw an ad for it posted on Craigslist, and was just wondering if anyone had any knowledge on the subject.

Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Marcia Brown
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Union City, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Union City, GA
Replied Jul 1 2007, 22:43

I just put up a posting for this. I would really love to find out what the results are...

Marcia

User Stats

Votes
Paul Cordero
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Jul 1 2007, 23:39

This sounds like a "turnkey" investment opportunity, but what happens when you evict your potential credit challenged buyer becuase they don't make their payments? You are now responsible for the mortgage and no telling how long it will take to get someone else into the program as a potential buyer? Is my assumption correct or am I missing something?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes
Account Closed
  • Real Estate Investor
  • London
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • London
Replied Jul 2 2007, 01:39

When is the last time you gave someone your credit card, told them to charge a lot of stuff on the card and you would just sign believing that they will come through with the cash later?

Is a credit partner any different (other than the numbers have more zeros)?

A credit partner can be a great way to do a deal if you really know and trust the partner. Even then stuff happens. They get ill, they die, they get divorced. You might end up with a new partner.

Lending your credit is risky because if there is a problem it will take 7 or so years to really clean it up.

John Corey

User Stats

Votes
Greg Shepherd
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Allen, TX
Votes |
  • Allen, TX
Replied Jul 8 2007, 22:00

I know of realtytrust.org and their owner Mathias Pruestel. I am a credit partner with them and will soon be an investor.

I use credit partners all the time for my real estate investing. Basically the credit partner buys the house and the tenant lives in and leases the house it until they can buy it outright. My program helps the tenant improve their credit scores WITHOUT credit repair.

The credit partner receives cash at closing and a monthly cash flow. My typical credit investor receives about $30k over three years for just using their credit - no money invested.

Are there risks? Sure. As has been pointed out the tenant can move out, damage the place and the value of the house can fall. Life happens!! However, with my contract the tenant loses big time as I ask for at least 5% in closing costs and 2 payments upfront (plus being sued for loss of payments and repairs). I use the unused payments to cover the mortgage while we look for another tenant. My contract makes it easy to evict the tenant. However, that is the safety net. I aim to get 95% of the tenants to buy the house.

As for a 'credit challenged' buyer one thing people forget is that you just don’t let anybody be the tenant. Do the background checks (don't rely on a credit report alone), get the references and use your common sense. As long as the tenant looks like an owner and puts up the cash then take them in. If not let them go on their way and they can rent from somebody else. One thing I do with the tenant is I treat them like a home owner. They get to claim the tax write off - just like a home owner - and they get a share in the house appreciation - just like a home owner - and they get to maintain the house - just like a home owner (I make sure there is a home warranty to help them out).

Good luck!

Greg Shepherd

User Stats

Votes
Dick Green
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Conroe, TX
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Conroe, TX
Replied Jul 8 2007, 22:08

OPM (other people's money), was and is a great financial tool. I agree with leveraging the amount of OPM in a transaction. It can be dangerous at times if mis-calculated risks appear. Use with care would be my advice.

Or like a good friend once said, "Young man, try not to bet so much on the come!".

User Stats

Votes
N/A N/A
Votes |
Replied Jul 9 2007, 04:27

Thanks for the reply Greg, that helps.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Rossi
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Ohio
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Ohio
Replied Jul 9 2007, 09:16
When is the last time you gave someone your credit card, told them to charge a lot of stuff on the card and you would just sign believing that they will come through with the cash later?

Is a credit partner any different (other than the numbers have more zeros)?

I agree with REI on this one! Why would a successful investor need your credit? BECAUSE HE DOESN'T HAVE ANY OF HIS OWN OR HIS IS BAD! In this kind of arrangement, you split the profits and you take all the risk. NO THANKS!

If it sounds too good to be true, it almost certainly is.

Good Luck,

Mike

User Stats

Votes
Greg Shepherd
  • Allen, TX
Votes |
  • Allen, TX
Replied Jul 9 2007, 10:19
Originally posted by "MikeOH":

I agree with REI on this one! Why would a successful investor need your credit? BECAUSE HE DOESN'T HAVE ANY OF HIS OWN OR HIS IS BAD! In this kind of arrangement, you split the profits and you take all the risk. NO THANKS!

I find it a shame that there is a so much judgment of a persons character around their credit score. I have so many people in houses that have 'bad' credit but are honest, hard working and good people to know.

With USA real estate in question (I see REI is based in London) USA mortgage lenders limit investors to 4 investment mortgages plus their own residence. Some lenders (and indeed the Magix program) allow more but generally the limit is 4. That's not too many (but it is kind of sensible - if you want so many go buy an apartment complex). I'm in Dallas and with so the over supply of houses and so many people with 'bad' credit there is great investment opportunities. An empty house gets filled and a would be buyer puts his family in a house. I help people who the mortgage lenders turn their back on.

At least I don't make promises to my credit partners like "you're on your road to financial freedom". I don't make them buy an ebook up front before I share information with them. They see the buyers information and they go and visit the house. If they don't like the deal they don't do it. I tell them to use the investment as part of their overall investment portfolio strategy. I give them more control than the mutual fund managers who gamble with their 401k everyday!

GS

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Dorkin
Pro Member
  • BiggerPockets Founder
  • Maui, HI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • BiggerPockets Founder
  • Maui, HI
Replied Jul 9 2007, 12:29

ukgreg66 -

I'm not sure what the story is, but in your second post, you've tried to attack 2 members of this site. These people have been long-standing contributors of this site and have helped many people, asking for nothing in return.

No one attacked you. There is no reason for you to do so.

You are not starting off on the right foot here. I hope you come back and play by the rules from here on.

Thank you,

Account Closed
  • Real Estate Investor
  • London
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • London
Replied Jul 9 2007, 15:40
Originally posted by "ukgreg66":

With USA real estate in question (I see REI is based in London) USA mortgage lenders limit investors to 4 investment mortgages plus their own residence. Some lenders (and indeed the Magix program) allow more but generally the limit is 4. That's not too many (but it is kind of sensible - if you want so many go buy an apartment complex).

GS

A few too many assumptions or just bad info.

1. I live in London. I was not commenting on the UK mortgage market. I have been investing in the US market since 1983.

2. The limits are generally not set at 4. More common is 10 mortgages per borrower. Some lenders go much higher. The 10 mortgage limit is mostly connected to the resale market. If lenders hold the loans on their own loan book there is not legal limit based on count. There might be a lender policy. Banks are limited to lending more than 10% of their capital to any one borrower.

3. The suggestion to go buy an apartment complex is more of a red herring than helpful.

In the same way that you made assumptions or were misinformed you will have credit lenders who do not know what they are really doing. The risk is compounded when the RE investor is making bad assumptions as to what is really going on.

On the more general topic...

What you are ignoring is the risk to the credit partner. You should know the risks so lets assume you are just not stating them.

Almost all of the risk comes from hick ups. If you are going to step in and make the payments when the tenant does not then fine. Even that is risky as there is a limit to what you could cover at any one time.

Good people who have jobs and bad credit have had issues in the past. Other good people who have jobs do not have credit issues. Maybe stuff happened that was out of their control (medical being a simple example). Or maybe they just made bad choices and might repeat the situation in the future.

As a RE investor you are willing to make an informed decision. People who lend their credit to RE investors are not that sophisticated. If they were they would be doing the deals themselves. Hence they rarely fully understand how the loan will impact their credit even if the tenant buyer performs.

John Corey

User Stats

Votes
Michael Rossi
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Ohio
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Ohio
Replied Jul 9 2007, 17:28
I find it a shame that there is a so much judgment of a persons character around their credit score.

You are kidding, aren't you? Your credit score is a measure of financial trustworthiness. Someone with bad credit might seem like a nice person, but in most cases they have ripped-off someone that they owed money to. I take that very seriously and I certainly would not allow such a person to use my good credit or enter into any other financial transaction with them.

While there are instances where bad credit was beyond the control of the person (like a serious illness, etc), in the majority of cases, the person simply doesn't pay their bills because they are irresponsible. That might sound harsh in our wacko "everyone's a victim" society, but it is the truth. Would I loan money or my credit to someone who has a track record of not paying their bills? ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Mike

User Stats

Votes
Ronald Schodowski
  • Wholesaler
  • Niles, MI
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Niles, MI
Replied May 15 2016, 14:11

My question is a simple one I know the risk involved and understand the process however I don't know anyone who is involved in this so where might someone like me look for a credit partner for fix and flips I would be interested in doing business