Votes
Brad Haughton
  • Mount Vernon, NY
Votes |
Buying a house in NYC and what would be the best place to buy it

Brad Haughton
  • Mount Vernon, NY
Posted Oct 12 2023, 17:54

So next year 2024 mom is looking to get a house before she retired and go back to Jamaica where she will live I'm not going back so the question is which location would be best to buy a house that has the best opportunity for me for example I would be looking at a rental unit instead where I live in one unit and the rest of the units are rented out like a four multifamily house what would be the best location Yonkers New York New Rochelle or the Bronx but primarily has to be somewhere in the Westchester area any other suggesting of which type of house would be better duplex single family house?

User Stats

Votes
Joe Jor
  • Westchester, NY
Votes |
  • Westchester, NY
Replied Oct 13 2023, 04:31

Buy where the numbers makes sense and social issues (schools, crime, etc) are within your tolerance.  I know that isn't very specific and probably not what you are looking for.

What is your goal?

* Live rent free - The more units the better; the bigger the price & down payment; further from NYC

* Reduce current rent/mortgage payment via house hacking - closer to NYC, can be done with less units

* Invest in a cashflow negative but greatly appreciating property?

* Something else?

The challenge in lower Westchester is everyone is looking for small multi-family so the competition is high and the supply is low.

Let me know if I can provide more insight.

Joe

User Stats

Votes
Ecaterina Katerina Morosan
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Miami, FL
Replied Oct 13 2023, 08:37

Hi Brad, it seems like you're looking to house hack or use homeownership as a way of investing in real estate and saving money on rent payment at the same time. And this is a great idea!

So, the property type depends on your financial qualification. The first thing you should do is talk to a local real estate agent and lender who work with investors primarily and know the market. 

Happy to share my preferred experts in Westchester if needed. Good luck!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Alexander Szikla
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New York City
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New York City
Replied Oct 13 2023, 09:19

A four unit with large bedrooms and a livable basement as an owner's unit / super's unit is your best use of capital with FHA - and the Bronx has a lot of growth and quality retail entering en masse.

User Stats

Votes
Brad Haughton
  • Mount Vernon, NY
Votes |
  • Mount Vernon, NY
Replied Oct 13 2023, 09:28
Quote from @Alexander Szikla:

A four unit with large bedrooms and a livable basement as an owner's unit / super's unit is your best use of capital with FHA - and the Bronx has a lot of growth and quality retail entering en masse.

Is there such a thing as super units in New York? I never even heard of a super unit.

User Stats

Votes
Brad Haughton
  • Mount Vernon, NY
Votes |
  • Mount Vernon, NY
Replied Oct 13 2023, 09:29
Quote from @Joe Jor:

Buy where the numbers makes sense and social issues (schools, crime, etc) are within your tolerance.  I know that isn't very specific and probably not what you are looking for.

What is your goal?

* Live rent free - The more units the better; the bigger the price & down payment; further from NYC

* Reduce current rent/mortgage payment via house hacking - closer to NYC, can be done with less units

* Invest in a cashflow negative but greatly appreciating property?

* Something else?

The challenge in lower Westchester is everyone is looking for small multi-family so the competition is high and the supply is low.

Let me know if I can provide more insight.

Joe

Yes I would like to know a little bit more insight and you mentioned something about living farther from New York and living closer to New York?

User Stats

Votes
Brad Haughton
  • Mount Vernon, NY
Votes |
  • Mount Vernon, NY
Replied Oct 13 2023, 09:38

Since I know real estate is kind of like a numbers game but what if your weakest link is you're not a numbers person but can you still technically do real estate investing?

User Stats

Votes
Joe Jor
  • Westchester, NY
Votes |
  • Westchester, NY
Replied Oct 13 2023, 09:46

Sure, comparing towns that are roughly equal on social issues, and comparing properties that are of similar condition and size, the properties will generally become more affordable the further you travel from NYC.

Generally New Rochelle will be a little more expensive than White Plains

White Plains > Elmsford/Sleepy Hollow > Peekskill > Poughkeepsie > etc. etc.

Joe

User Stats

Votes
Joe Jor
  • Westchester, NY
Votes |
  • Westchester, NY
Replied Oct 13 2023, 09:48
Quote from @Brad Haughton:

Since I know real estate is kind of like a numbers game but what if your weakest link is you're not a numbers person but can you still technically do real estate investing?

Partner with someone who is good at underwriting or do research; once you have the numbers, it is just arithmetic.

User Stats

Votes
Brad Haughton
  • Mount Vernon, NY
Votes |
  • Mount Vernon, NY
Replied Oct 13 2023, 10:00
Quote from @Joe Jor:

Sure, comparing towns that are roughly equal on social issues, and comparing properties that are of similar condition and size, the properties will generally become more affordable the further you travel from NYC.

Generally New Rochelle will be a little more expensive than White Plains

White Plains > Elmsford/Sleepy Hollow > Peekskill > Poughkeepsie > etc. etc.

Joe

That's very interesting but what I noticed when I look at Zillow and I look a little farther away I'm noticing their million dollar houses in the area so for example I'm looking in the middle of Westchester between Yonkers New Rochelle and White Plains and Mount Vernon so I'm essentially looking at Eastchester Bronxville Tuckahoe Scarsdale or Hartsdale Greenville and Northeast Yonkers

User Stats

Votes
Joe Jor
  • Westchester, NY
Votes |
  • Westchester, NY
Replied Oct 13 2023, 10:08
 That's very interesting but what I noticed when I look at Zillow and I look a little farther away I'm noticing their million dollar houses in the area so for example I'm looking in the middle of Westchester between Yonkers New Rochelle and White Plains and Mount Vernon so I'm essentially looking at Eastchester Bronxville Tuckahoe Scarsdale or Hartsdale Greenville and Northeast Yonkers

Some areas are more multi-family friendly, like some of the towns I mentioned.  Others are not and tend to be VERY expensive (Katonah, Pleasantville, Rye, etc). 

I just Redfin'd Peekskill as an arbitrary test; with one exception all the multis are $850k or less.

In New Rochelle (Redfin'd again), roughly $850k is the entry point.

Joe

User Stats

Votes
Brad Haughton
  • Mount Vernon, NY
Votes |
  • Mount Vernon, NY
Replied Oct 13 2023, 10:19
Quote from @Joe Jor:

Some areas are more multi-family friendly, like some of the towns I mentioned.  Others are not and tend to be VERY expensive (Katonah, Pleasantville, Rye, etc). 

I just Redfin'd Peekskill as an arbitrary test; with one exception all the multis are $850k or less.

Joe

Interesting so location does kind of matter in this situation 🤔 

User Stats

Votes
Brad Haughton
  • Mount Vernon, NY
Votes |
  • Mount Vernon, NY
Replied Oct 13 2023, 10:20
Quote from @Brad Haughton:
Quote from @Joe Jor:

Joe

Interesting so location does kind of matter in this situation 🤔 

Oh yeah another person replied with FHA loan will that still be your best option start out when you don't have a large amount of capital for a down payment say 20% down but you can still use a 3.5 or 5% down payment?