• Fredericksburg, VA
Votes |
Out of State Section 8 request

Latonya Iskan
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Fredericksburg, VA
Posted Mar 12 2024, 09:15

Hello Bigger Pockets!

We have finally gotten our first rental in Richmond, VA. However, our property has not rented yet. It's located in an "up and coming" area, where you can see signs of renovations etc. We decided to open up our pool of tenants to the voucher because many applicants have asked. We are new this process. We just got a request asking if we accepted out-of-state Section 8 vouchers. I thought I'd reach out to the BP community first before I respond with a yes or no.

What are pros and cons of accepting out-of-state  Section 8 vouchers. 

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Simon Ashbaugh
  • Realtor
Votes |
  • Realtor
Replied Mar 12 2024, 11:23

Hey Latonya, accepting out of state vouchers can increase your tenant pool and potentially increase your rental income, but it also introduces complexities like verifying voucher validity with distant agencies, dealing with unfamiliar local resources for the tenant and navigating potentially different eviction procedures in another state. I'd recommend that you weigh the potential benefits against the additional workload and potential difficulties that comes along your way.

User Stats

Votes
Latonya Iskan
  • Fredericksburg, VA
Votes |
  • Fredericksburg, VA
Replied Mar 12 2024, 11:41
Quote from @Simon Ashbaugh:

Hey Latonya, accepting out of state vouchers can increase your tenant pool and potentially increase your rental income, but it also introduces complexities like verifying voucher validity with distant agencies, dealing with unfamiliar local resources for the tenant and navigating potentially different eviction procedures in another state. I'd recommend that you weigh the potential benefits against the additional workload and potential difficulties that comes along your way.

Thank you Simon for your input! Since we haven't even gone through any Section 8 processes yet, it's best I believe to keep it simple, and stay local.
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Simon Ashbaugh
  • Realtor
Votes |
  • Realtor
Replied Mar 12 2024, 11:47
Quote from @Latonya Iskan:
Quote from @Simon Ashbaugh:

Thank you Simon for your input! Since we haven't even gone through any Section 8 processes yet, it's best I believe to keep it simple, and stay local.

You're welcome! I hope you get a tenant in as soon as possible. All the best!

User Stats

Votes
Tanner Lewis
Pro Member
#5 Starting Out Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Starting Out Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Mar 12 2024, 13:04

Hey Latonya, I am from Richmond, Virginia, and know the area well. I'd be happy to connect as I am looking to flip in Old Manchester and a couple of other areas. 

User Stats

Votes
Latonya Iskan
  • Fredericksburg, VA
Votes |
  • Fredericksburg, VA
Replied Mar 15 2024, 05:30
Quote from @Tanner Lewis:

Hey Latonya, I am from Richmond, Virginia, and know the area well. I'd be happy to connect as I am looking to flip in Old Manchester and a couple of other areas. 

Great to meet you as well. I am happy to connect as well! Thanks!!!

User Stats

Votes
Patti Robertson
  • Property Manager
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Replied Mar 16 2024, 07:25

I do ALOT of SEC 8. The issue with someone porting into your area from someplace else is that they almost never have income when they move.  IF they have all retirement or disability income that may be OK, but if they are quitting a job to move and have to find another job after they move to your area, this means their income when they apply for your rental and SEC 8 determines if they will approve your rent with be zero. I don't accept any tenant with zero income, even SEC 8.  

User Stats

Votes
Latonya Iskan
  • Fredericksburg, VA
Votes |
  • Fredericksburg, VA
Replied Mar 17 2024, 13:32

Thank you Patti for your response. I really appreciate your insight. I was definitely stuck on that question and I'm glad I posted. That helps for future tenants, if they ask.