• Real Estate Agent
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Just Starting Out

Sam Garner
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Dallas, TX
Posted Jun 26 2014, 12:13

Hey guys, my name is Sam Garner and I'm a new poster to BiggerPockets. I've been browsing and learning as much as possible from books, podcasts, etc... just trying to learn as much as possible. This website has been great to me so far.

A little bit about my self. Currently I'm getting my Master's Degree in Music at University of Miami. I'm 23 and have been playing music since I was 5. I've been interested in real estate for awhile, but now that with only a year till I graduate, what I'm wanting to do in the future is becoming more and more urgent. For the longest time I thought I would want to do music all day long, but as I start to think about family and kids and the kind of lifestyle I want to have one day, music as a full time option makes less and less sense. There are many ways to make money doing music that doesn't require the full day, so I'm looking at doing as much on the side as possible, it being a hobby I just happen to be very good at.

I have 2 family members that are very successful doing real estate in the DFW area. They have offered to open as many doors as possible for me in the next upcoming year, assuming I move back to Dallas, so I'm aiming to dedicate the next year to doing as much as I can to learn what I need. One of them has offered to set up meetings for me as early as Christmas, just to network and get my feet wet with potential future options.

I'm very interested in the concept of slowly building your wealth, one house or property at a time. Singles, Multi-plexs, apartments, and maybe even commercial, are very intriguing to me. Even though I've read mixed opinions on whether I should get a license or not, the person who is going to set up meetings said I should. I'm not in a place to argue with him or contradict him, so I'm going to get it. I'm also hoping that it can fill in some education gaps that I missed getting 2 music degrees.

So now the questions.

1) Regarding the licenses, I'm having trouble understanding one key thing. I feel like I've read several contracting things, maybe I read an older version, but i can't seem to find out if I can just straight out get a broker's license, assuming I take the 270 hours, or do I have to wait x amount of time, 2-4 years being active, to get the license.

2) I'm still currently investigating my Universities class catalog, but are there any foreseeable issues with taking a Real Estate class in Florida and using that credit to get a license in Texas?

3) Does anyone have any experience with the Allied Real Estate School. I'm looking for online options as well.

I think that's all for questions. I'm eager to learn and look forward to hearing from anyone with input. Thank you very much.

Loading replies...