• Murfreesboro, NC
Votes |
Moving to Virginia

Anthony Carlson
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Murfreesboro, NC
Posted Oct 4 2014, 03:39

Hello, I am going to be moving to Hampton Roads the end of January/beginning of February and was wondering how the market is there. I also was wondering about the REI meet ups in the area, which one(s) would you recommend?

User Stats

Votes
Mehran K.
  • Investor
  • Wichita Falls, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Wichita Falls, TX
Replied Oct 4 2014, 04:17

Anthony, not sure if you've used the search tool on the top right corner? Try searching on Hampton Roads and see if you can connect with any local investors. You can also try setting up some Keyword Alerts with the same aim.

User Stats

Votes
Eric Doud
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Chesapeake, VA
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Chesapeake, VA
Replied Oct 4 2014, 17:05

@Anthony Carlson welcome to the area soon. The market is good here for both investors and home buyers. The easiest way to break into the market is to buy your first property to live in with the intention of turning into an investment. You would get a lot better interest rate by doing this.  That is how we got started and it has worked out great. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Kris Haskins
  • Investor
  • hampton, va
Votes |
  • Investor
  • hampton, va
Replied Oct 5 2014, 18:35

Hey Anthony, WELCOME... I know you'll do great. Regarding the market. I've been doing some traveling over the last few weeks and I'll say our market is not HOT or COLD. I'd say it's about right in the middle. I was in Richmond a few weeks ago and I have an associate selling/flipping houses and getting multiple offers in the 1st week of listing. I have yet to see that in our market. I'm deep in our market and yes, i've had offers quickly on my flips, and I've had houses take a year to sell. As I'm getting older, I see the HR market is not the hottest in VA. But, It's been good to me as long as my financing is "right". I look fwd to seeing your posts. Make sure you go to TRIG and/or PREIA and you can join therealestateroundup.com as well. They are some great REIA groups in our area. God bless and let me know if you have a good deal to sell.

User Stats

Votes
Harrison Stowe
  • Bethesda, MD
Votes |
  • Bethesda, MD
Replied Oct 6 2014, 07:23

Hi Anthony, and welcome to the DMV. I call VA's neighbor state to the north my home - I've lived in the Bethesda area for quite some time. Both VA and MD have great housing markets. VA has a strong and stable economy, and property around both Richmond and the greater Chesapeake area have become promising investments without claiming too steep of a price tag. There's a lot of stability, and it's a safe market for both investors and buyers. Feel free to add me if you'd care to.

User Stats

Votes
Christopher Jenkins
  • Involved In Real Estate
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
  • Involved In Real Estate
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Replied Oct 6 2014, 08:04

Hi Anthony,

Welcome to the Hampton Roads community! The Hampton Roads market is great for investment opportunities. There is still a heavy amount of REO's, although are very competitive can yield some great results for flip or hold. Give me a shout if you are interested in learning more about specific neighborhoods.

Thanks,

User Stats

Votes
Elizabeth Colegrove
  • Hanford, CA
Votes |
  • Hanford, CA
Replied Oct 6 2014, 13:54

Welcome!

We bought our first house in Virginia Beach. As I am sure you know Hampton Roads is huge so every market is very different. Make sure you elevate the "demographic" you are appealing too. 

User Stats

Votes
Anthony Carlson
Pro Member
  • Murfreesboro, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Murfreesboro, NC
Replied Oct 6 2014, 16:07

Thanks everyone for the welcomes and I'm sure that I'll be doing well to put your advice to work.