Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Antwaun Johnson
  • Loves Park, IL
Votes |
Turn Key

Antwaun Johnson
  • Loves Park, IL
Posted Sep 16 2015, 14:48

Hello everyone!  I want to invest in a turnkey property, any advice or guidance?  I'm kinda new to this.

User Stats

Votes
Ramon Jenkins
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Milwaukee County, WI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Milwaukee County, WI
Replied Sep 16 2015, 16:03

Mr Johnson welcome to BP.

I’m not too sure of any turnkey providers in Beloit community.

Askbp and podcasts are located under the “ learn “ tab.

< My suggestions >

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Definitely take advantage of the VA programs.

Look into student housing and multifamily properties in Beloit.

User Stats

Votes
Trevor Ewen
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Weehawken, NJ
Votes |
  • Weehawken, NJ
Replied Sep 16 2015, 17:17

@Antwaun Johnson

Welcome! I grew up in Illinois and had a good friend at Beloit College. I know the area well. 

Are you planning to go out of state? In Beloit? I think turnkey is a good way to get started, particularly if you lack time and have some money to invest.

I recommend strong due diligence on the property management side. You will find that makes or breaks the investment.

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Antwaun Johnson
  • Loves Park, IL
Votes |
  • Loves Park, IL
Replied Sep 17 2015, 11:02

Thanks everyone for replying. I'm looking at either out of state or in state.  It doesn't matter as long as it's a good deal and if it's a good turn key company.

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Darrell
  • New York
Votes |
  • New York
Replied Sep 17 2015, 11:14

Hi Antwaun, you can also save "Turnkey" as one of your keyword alerts and you will see that this is a hot topic on BP. Pretty sure you'll find many companies. 

User Stats

Votes
Mike D'Arrigo
Pro Member
  • Turn key provider
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Turn key provider
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Sep 19 2015, 14:10

@Antwaun Johnson Do your research and pick a couple of markets based on their economic and demographic factors. Once you've selected a market, identify the turn key companies that operate in those markets and do extensive due diligence on them. You can check out the reputations of many turn key companies right here on BP.

User Stats

Votes
James Paine
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Dec 26 2015, 00:01

@Antwaun Johnson

Big Ups for deciding to buy a rental property!  

There are a lot of good and bad turn key providers out there.  Some factors to consider are that most first timers forget are:

- What did the TK provider do to earn the money they are earning on the sale to you?

- How easy will it be to re-rent the property if the current tenant moves?

- Is the property rented at a fair price? (You don't want the TK provider pushing rents)

- Get all the background on the tenant in writing.  Credit score, job verification, kids report cards, whatever it is the TK provider says they do make them prove it. 

- Ask them for a list of properties they own in the same area. 

Good Luck! 

User Stats

Votes
Larry Fried
  • Investor/RE Broker
  • Eugene, OR
Votes |
  • Investor/RE Broker
  • Eugene, OR
Replied Dec 27 2015, 20:25
Originally posted by @Antwaun Johnson:

Hello everyone!  I want to invest in a turnkey property, any advice or guidance?  I'm kinda new to this.

Hi Antwaun and welcome to BP!  There is so many elements to identifying a good turnkey provider to work with.  Now is more important than making sure that there is really good property management in place.  

User Stats

Votes
Dan Zitofsky
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Delaware
Votes |
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Delaware
Replied Jan 11 2016, 18:35

First piece of advice is to understand your goals on the market. What return cash on cash, are you looking for? Are you a seeking cash flow, Appreciation, tax benefits, etc? I meet with approximately 10 plus investors per month and some have this down and understand the game. There are some areas with huge cash flow but the properties won't appreciate and others with minimal to no cash flow but will appreciate tremendously. You have to understand each and what makes sense for your goals. You would want to have a goal and work backwards. For example, if you need to make a certain amount per month, you'd want to figure out from your cash how many properties you could acquire and how to get them. You'd want a plan of possibly refinancing to cash out and turn the equity into multiple properties. Make sure the group or person you work with is experienced and the team has been vetted and can handle your needs. I have been at this over 25 years and invest in multiple emerging markets for my investors and have managed the realtors, property managers, contractors, title company and attorneys. A good turn key company can truly assist you in creating wealth using your cash or retirement accounts. Wish you all the best and if I can answer any questions, please feel free to ask. 

User Stats

Votes
Valerie Couch
  • Turnkey Provider/Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Turnkey Provider/Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Jan 11 2016, 18:52

@Antwaun Johnson

Welcome to BP and to real estate investing!  I deal exclusively with turnkey investors so I can tell you a few attributes that my clients find important.

* Market (of course).  Do your research on which markets have reasonable pricing and returns and continue to grow and where property values are increasing

* Purchase your TK property a little below market value so you have equity from day 1

* The MOST important aspect (even more important than your ROI) is the management company. Without a great property manager in place, you cannot depend on a good return. It should be a reputable company who has been in business for a few years and has therefore had some "trial and error" already (so that you don't have to experience the errors!), they should screen their tenants very well to ensure only the best will be placed in your home and they should have impeccable communication.

Good luck in your search - feel free to reach out with any questions!

All the best ~

Val

User Stats

Votes
William Jenkins
  • Real Estate Broker
  • St. Louis, MO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • St. Louis, MO
Replied Jan 11 2016, 18:59

Are you stuck on turnkey for some particular reason? I would think your market would have some good hands rental opportunities.
I would not seek turnkey investments unless i was in a high cost east or west coast market. Even then i probably wouldn't do it.

User Stats

Votes
Linval T.
  • Investor
  • Bay Shore, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bay Shore, NY
Replied Jan 11 2016, 19:50

@Antwaun Johnson

Welcome to the vibrant BP community. Your time here will be well spent.

I added the below links on turnkey properties for your review.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2015/08/20/askbp-089-how-do-you-evaluate-a-turnkey-company/ (Turnkey Evaluaton)

https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2014/03/23/what-does-turn-key-real-estate-business-entail/ (Turnkey REI)

Now that you have made the move, below are some links that will help with the navigation of the site.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/courses/a-beginners-introduction-to-real-estate-investing (video courses)

https://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing (Ultimate beginner's guide to REI)

Before your 1st purchase, please ensure you visit the below link for some tips.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2014/12/19/real-estate-investing-success-smart-tips/

REI books suggested by BPers

https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2015/11/13/7-real-estate-books-beginner-investors/ (7 absolute must read books for beginner REIs)

http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/04/14/best-real-estate-books/?utm_source=search&utm_medium=internal&utm_campaign=books (books recommended by BPers)

Simply, bone up on the areas that you need to expand knowledge in such as, Forums, Marketplace, Learn, Network, Analyze and Resources.

Feast on the Podcasts, #askbp Podcasts, blogs and webinars

Lastly, this site thrives on interactions and as such we encourage two way exchanges and look forward to educational, thought provoking ideas relevant to REI.

User Stats

Votes
Dustin Faeth
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jan 12 2016, 08:41

Hello @Antwaun Johnson. Not sure if you've considered investing in turnkey rentals out of state at all, but Columbus, Ohio is a GREAT rental market with a very strong local economy.  My company is located in Columbus and we primarily rehab and flip homes, but also sell turnkey rentals so feel free to message me if you'd like some more info on Columbus and our turnkey rentals.  

Dustin

Hemlane logo
Hemlane
|
Sponsored
The future of property management is here! Automate rent, repairs, and listings & get 70% more free time back in your life!

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#1 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
James Wise#1 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Replied Jan 12 2016, 11:36

Welcome to the site @Antwaun Johnson

With you living in Wisconsin I imagine the local market would be pretty reasonably priced. Have you contacted some property managers and realtors local to you about properties in neighborhoods you are already familiar with?

User Stats

Votes
Vuk Dulanovic
  • Investor
  • Toronto, Ontario
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Toronto, Ontario
Replied Jan 13 2016, 06:20

Hey @Antwaun Johnson, have you made any progress on your goals since Sep 2015? Feel free to connect, and we can discuss what types of opportunities you're looking for, and how to help you get there.

@James Paine has provided you with some valuable checklist items to use when performing your due diligence. 

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Weidman
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied May 16 2016, 10:14

@Antwaun Johnson

I've seen this topic pop up a lot recently and it's obvious you've gotten some really good feedback. I shot a video this morning that I think will speak to your questions and hopefully others on the forums. Let me know if I can help in any way.

User Stats

Votes
Tanya Smith
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Saint George, UT
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Saint George, UT
Replied Jul 26 2016, 14:22

Thanks for the Video! @Joshua Weidman 

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Hall
  • Reston, VA
Votes |
  • Reston, VA
Replied Jan 15 2018, 09:38

Thanks @Joshua Weidman, great video, very informative.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 26 2019, 11:50

@Dan Zitofsky Good morning, 
When you said "There are some areas with huge cash flow but the properties won't appreciate and others with minimal to no cash flow but will appreciate tremendously." How would I know which area is which? Where would i go to do this research? Thank you in advance for your assistance.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 26 2019, 11:54

@Linval T. WOW!!! Thank you SOOO much for all of this incredible information. 

User Stats

Votes
Gabriel Cardus
Votes |
Replied Jul 9 2019, 13:13

@Jessica Mills hey, what information did you get lol? Any way to make it public?