• Military
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Buying my first house

Bryce Lipham
  • Military
  • San Diego, CA
Posted Oct 6 2015, 20:55

When buying my first home, is a down payment required in every situation or is there ways around it?

User Stats

Votes
Fred Heller
  • Real Estate Agent/Property Management
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent/Property Management
  • Houston, TX
Replied Oct 6 2015, 21:07

When I bought my current house I used an 80/20 mortgage, which is essentially a first and second mortgage. The first one is for the 80% and the second one is for the 20% down payment. You still have to cover closing costs, which can be several thousand dollars. 

I don't really recommend it. I was a little naive and was talked into it by the mortgage broker I was using at the time, who also happened to be a business acquaintance. She got me an ARM, which I didn't want. And the terms were terrible. I ended up having to refinance, which added several thousand dollars to my principal.

User Stats

Votes
Elizabeth Colegrove
  • Hanford, CA
Votes |
  • Hanford, CA
Replied Oct 6 2015, 22:28

If you live in the house and house hack or buy a multi plex there are lower downpayment requirements. Are you a veteran? Does your credit union offer a 0% "new home loan " (Navy fed does not sure about other ones).

There are lots of ways, the key is checking out local local financing options. I have done very well with brokers. Even if you can't get no down payment. Low down payment is also awesome. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Bryce Lipham
  • Military
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Military
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Oct 6 2015, 22:48

Good stuff to know, ill have to do some research and check with my banks thank you! im active duty though and my goal is to try flipping a house so ive gotta play my cards very carefully considering many loans wont do much for me with the intention to flip a house because it almost makes it too easy for me to make money and also easy to lose them money, gotta start somewhere though!