Newark, DE · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 2 votes
Hello all,
I'm a new investor looking into multifamily houses, Any advice, tips or suggestions. I currently live in Newark Delaware and plan to live in one portion and rent the other(house hacking). Please reply with any tips or suggestions what I should consider moving forward looking into these properties.
Simply, bone up on the areas that you need to expand knowledge in such as, Forums, Marketplace, Learn, Network, Analyze and Resources.
Feast on the Podcasts, #askbp Podcasts, blogs and webinars
Lastly, this site thrives on interactions and as such we encourage two way exchanges and look forward to educational, thought provoking ideas relevant to REI.
Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 197 posts · 59 votes
10y
Welcome @Jarrett Shippen. You will find tons of good resources on this site about house hacking and multifamily properties. I believe the ideal is that the rent from the other unit(s) will completely cover the monthly expenses for the whole building and the mortgage. It's going to come down to learning how to run the numbers on property and will vary somewhat depending on many factors. I recently read the ABCs of Real Estate Investing by Ken McElroy and that gave a basic breakdown of how to value multifamily properties. I would suggest trying to meet up with local investors in your market and figure out from them how they are doing it. I would also recommend the podcasts, they're great.
Simply, bone up on the areas that you need to expand knowledge in such as, Forums, Marketplace, Learn, Network, Analyze and Resources.
Feast on the Podcasts, #askbp Podcasts, blogs and webinars
Lastly, this site thrives on interactions and as such we encourage two way exchanges and look forward to educational, thought provoking ideas relevant to REI.
Real Estate Broker · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y
Welcome to BP! Make sure that you do you due diligence when purchasing a multifamily. A lot of the former years QE money has found its way into the multifamily arena. Thus, there is a herd mentality of driving prices to levels that don't make sense. There are still deals out there but they are very hard to find.
Welcome to BP Jarrett! You have found an awesome place to connect and get advice. In box me if you want to get together for coffee and talk real estate. I live and work very nearby (ie. Elkton, MD - Wilmington, DE).
Real Estate Agent · Wilmington, DE · Member since 2015 · 62 posts · 22 votes
10y
Hi Jarrett! House hacking is an exciting endeavor. I would love to house hack as well. The inventory is pretty non-existent in New Castle County at this time, but there are also some fantastic opportunities for owner-occupants of Multifamiies right now.
If you haven't already, connect with @Jeff Giffin. He organizes some meet-ups with biggerpockets investors here in Wilmington. DE.
Real Estate Broker · Windsor, CT · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 268 votes
10y
@Jarrett Shippen Welcome to BP! I would suggest reviewing as much information on becoming a landlord. I would also recommend using your keyword alerts for landlord to figure out the dos and donts. Bp is a great resource for your real estate needs.