Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Michael Charles
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Anyone investing in Cypress Hills/East NY Brooklyn?

Michael Charles
  • New York, NY
Posted Aug 29 2016, 10:41

Hi everyone. I am looking to invest in a property this year, through an owner occupied FHA loan. I am renting right now close to NYC by Long Island City. As much as I love this area, prices are extremely high and not affordable for my budget. I did a search, and East New York, Cypress Hills area has been showing some very affordable multi-families. My plan would be to live in one unit, and rent out the other unit.

My only concern, is the safety. I have heard that this is a rough area. Is the area as a whole dangerous? Or only certain pockets? I did a drive through of Bed Stuy and Bushwick to scope out the area. It seems like there was a mix of nicer buildings, and older properties as well. I noticed a "hipster" vibe in some parts. Those areas are crazy expensive though. 

Does Cypress Hill have potential as an up coming neighborhood for investment? I would consider the Bronx as well, but I am not familiar with the area as a whole. Are there any other areas recommended?  Thanks.

User Stats

Votes
Anthony Perez
  • Flipper
  • East Elmhurst, NY
Votes |
  • Flipper
  • East Elmhurst, NY
Replied Sep 3 2016, 13:56

Anything near then J or Z is what happens next. Stay far away from the L train and buy property close to the train lines that will remain open.

User Stats

Votes
Anthony Perez
  • Flipper
  • East Elmhurst, NY
Votes |
  • Flipper
  • East Elmhurst, NY
Replied Sep 3 2016, 13:59

In respond to the thread post though, I personally am wholesaling in east new york and brownsville you are a little late to the party with bushwick it's become a lot more competitive. East new york is somewhere you can pick up a short sale though or get something into contract under the 200k price point. I would do these deals all day long.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Michael Charles
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • New York, NY
Replied Sep 3 2016, 18:47
Originally posted by @Tiffany Campbell:

also the L train will be out of commission for at least a year possibly around 2018 so hopefully that's not the only train line near his investment. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Charles
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • New York, NY
Replied Sep 3 2016, 18:48
Originally posted by @Anthony Perez:

In respond to the thread post though, I personally am wholesaling in east new york and brownsville you are a little late to the party with bushwick it's become a lot more competitive. East new york is somewhere you can pick up a short sale though or get something into contract under the 200k price point. I would do these deals all day long.

Good info to know thank you

User Stats

Votes
Charles Worth
  • Investor
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New York City, NY
Replied Sep 6 2016, 14:26

@Anthony Perez

What are you buying for $200K in NYC?

User Stats

Votes
Anthony Perez
  • Flipper
  • East Elmhurst, NY
Votes |
  • Flipper
  • East Elmhurst, NY
Replied Sep 7 2016, 11:23

Two family converted from one in East NY. Rehabbers are picking them up for like 350k. Lot sizes are usually 20x100 if that helps @Charles Worth You can still short things around here just gotta dig.

User Stats

Votes
Charles Worth
  • Investor
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New York City, NY
Replied Sep 7 2016, 16:52

@Anthony Perez

$350K sounds a little more like what I have seen, under $200K I had not seen really unless there is a major issue. 

User Stats

Votes
Anthony Perez
  • Flipper
  • East Elmhurst, NY
Votes |
  • Flipper
  • East Elmhurst, NY
Replied Sep 7 2016, 19:06

Maybe you aren't looking hard enough I shorted something for 200k. I also have to pick stuff up under 350k to make a spread it just depends on the deal. I've seen stuff go for 120k you really just have to look. PM I'd be happy to show you comps. @Charles Worth

User Stats

Votes
Diana L.
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied Oct 1 2016, 16:22

I recently bought in Cypress Hills. A block away from Highland Park. This area, surrounding Highland Blvd has a magical quality to it. Safety does not seem to be an issue for us. I have lived in Crown Heights across from a NYCHA building for the last 5 years, so moving to Cypress Hills will be an improvement. 

User Stats

Votes
Amit Kal
  • Investor
  • Sunnyside, Queens, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Sunnyside, Queens, NY
Replied Oct 1 2016, 17:03

Michael Charles since you live in LIC and exploring in Brooklyn, I'm sure you know that the L train will be out of commission for about two years. That's going to redirect a lot of folks over to Western Queens in neighborhood such is Sunnyside, Woodside Jackson Heights, Corona and Elmhurst. Prices are already high in these neighborhoods but several hundred dollars less per square foot than equivalent areas in Brooklyn. I think the spread between Brooklyn and Queens will decrease quite drastically over the next 3 to 5 years. You could probably find a two or three family in Woodside that needs work (but would still qualify for FHA) for about $600K.
Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Jena Pilgrim
  • Investor
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied Oct 19 2016, 09:26

East New York is about to see a lot of revitalization. The city has approved rezoning and plan on putting millions of dollars into this neighborhood. http://ny.curbed.com/neighborhood/1353/east-ny-brownsville. Remember that with FHA you only have to live in the property for one year and then you can move. There are good and bad areas in all neighborhoods but from an investment prospective ENY is still a good deal because of the low property taxes and access to multiple trains.

User Stats

Votes
Danny Wu
  • Queens, NY
Votes |
  • Queens, NY
Replied Oct 19 2016, 10:32

Hi @Anthony Perez, interested to know there are still property in nyc under that price range. Do you mind to PM me with more detail?

Thanks,

Danny

User Stats

Votes
Shawn Ackerman
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Entrepreneur
  • Mid West, East Coast
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Entrepreneur
  • Mid West, East Coast
Replied Oct 19 2016, 10:34

Michael Charles yea if you have a billion dollars. If your interested in out of state investing I can share with you what my company does.

User Stats

Votes
Abena Sidibe
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied Oct 19 2016, 16:41

@Anthony Perez Hi Anthony.  Are the short sales you do all cash deals? I searched in ENY for a home and it was quite competitive. 

User Stats

Votes
Diana L.
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied Feb 13 2017, 05:58
Originally posted by @James Northrup:

@Manny Vasquez Agreed. That has been my impression as well.

For some perspective on the history of ENY, check out the incredible documentary "The 75": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRRTie0i_TQ

Is this Documentary still available? I cannot find it at that link or keyword search.

User Stats

Votes
James Northrup
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied Feb 15 2017, 04:49

@Diana L. The documentary is still available, but you'll have to pay to see it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRRTie0i_TQ