• Lender
  • Orange, CA
Votes |
Looking to invest out of state, need help

John Pearson
  • Lender
  • Orange, CA
Posted Oct 25 2017, 14:15

Hello everyone, I was hoping to get some general advice about how to pick a handful of cities to analyze for my first investment acquisition.

I have put together a small pool of investors and we have ~150k in seed capital.  However, due to the fact we all live in southern CA, that honestly wont get a whole lot even if we leverage it and the returns are so low most deals honestly dont make a lot of sense.

So we have decided to look out of state, but want to at least put some research and analysis into the decision.  I was hoping to get some ideas from some members here on what type of criteria would be most important.  My thoughts so far:

Population growth

Rent growth

Income growth

Employment growth

Any idea about other metrics and which would be the most useful for choosing a target metro region? Many thanks.

Ps. I already asset manage a small portfolio of about $3M in assets remotely so I do have a solid operational understanding of multifamily real estate, but this would be my first acquisition and first asset out of state so any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Loading replies...