Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Jacob L White
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
College Degree for a proffesional investor??

Jacob L White
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Nashville, TN
Posted Jan 8 2018, 22:45

Ok investors,

So this is the boat I am in. I am going to get into the student housing game while I am in college. I am a veteran and I would almost be a fool not to go because the military pays me a salary to get an education. So, I figure I will be there so I might as well rent my place out and build from there.  So! I know I want to do this for the long term, the big crazy dream is to have a big awesome development company where I build houses ( or maybe commercial property) for sale or rent. I will have to declare a major sooner or later I am kind of resting on my laurels right now just doing the Gen Eds. Is there anybody out there wiser then me that, if they had to choose, could recommend either finance or construction management as a major? Also, Im at UF in Gainesville FL if any investors want to meet for coffee :). Thanks, guys.

User Stats

Votes
Naeem Kapasi
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Jan 10 2018, 17:12

I am a full time industrial engineer, the economy part of it is the only thing that helps me with REI. You need to know money and marketing. You can have the best stuff to sell or wanting to buy, but if you can’t market it, it won’t sell easy. If I could choose again, i would choose full time finance or marketing!

User Stats

Votes
George Voutsinos
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Jan 11 2018, 03:54

Thank you for serving our country!  Some Universities have Real Estate Finance majors.  Take Temple University for example....pulled this from their website "This innovative program enables students to pursue careers in real estate investment and financial analysis, mortgage lending, real estate appraisal and valuation, corporate real estate analysis, property, and management, as well as traditional residential and commercial brokerage and marketing. Students in the program will develop the ability to analyze real estate investment opportunities from investor and lender perspectives; conduct asset and risk assessments and implement risk management strategies; understand the dynamics of real estate markets; and understand the legalities of real estate transactions."

https://www.fox.temple.edu/departments/finance/pro...

I'd check your University for something similar.  Good Luck!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Anthony Dooley
  • Investor
  • Columbus, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Columbus, GA
Replied Jan 11 2018, 05:27

@Jacob L White free tuition and a housing allowance is not exactly a salary.  If you are seriously committed to being a real estate investor, you are just taking a break. If you are going to invest 4 years of your life in a college education, be a nurse or something that has a demand in the marketplace and you can make $40K starting out. The alternative is to spend that four years shopping property, making offers, learning by doing, and building a network of private money lenders.  You would benefit more from a weekend seminar on real estate investing and sales training than 4 years of music appreciation, astrology, and philosophy.