Votes
Gabe Sorensen
  • Syracuse, UT
Votes |
starting out in real estate

Gabe Sorensen
  • Syracuse, UT
Posted Jan 14 2018, 19:52

Hey I am looking forward to being a Utah real estate agent and am currently working on getting my license! If you have any tips, suggestions, or any knowledge I am open to anything and everything. Thanks for the help!

User Stats

Votes
Antoine Martel
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Miami, FL
Replied Jan 14 2018, 20:00

Welcome to BP Gabe. 

Congrats on getting your license. Wishing you best of luck with the test. 

User Stats

Votes
Eric Gardiner
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Salt Lake City , UT
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Salt Lake City , UT
Replied Jan 15 2018, 08:07

@Gabe Sorensen Congrats. working as a real estate agent is a lot of fun and a lot of work. You shouldnt think this is an easy career. It takes a lot of personal drive. If you want to discuss this more I would love to talk. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Justin Hammond
  • Investor/Developer
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
  • Investor/Developer
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied Jan 16 2018, 18:22

Gabe Sorensen , welcome to real estate! I’d love to hear more about what you’re trying to accomplish, and to see how I can help. PM me and let’s chat!

User Stats

Votes
William Hochstedler
  • Broker
  • Logan, UT
Votes |
  • Broker
  • Logan, UT
Replied Jan 18 2018, 15:49

@Gabe Sorensen

Congrats on taking the plunge.  

As others have suggested, there is work involved to turn this into real income.  To that end, before you go out interviewing brokerages, I'd recommend that you have a good sense of what makes you get out of bed in the morning.  For example, do you depend on imposed structure to get you to show up?  Different brokerages will have different levels of hand holding and it's up to you to figure out what you need to push yourself to do the ugly work that self-employment necessarily involves.

After that, there's the broker.  More than national training programs and empty promises of lead generation, the single most influential factor in your success will be the broker.  Is this person out there inspiring you to be the most successful you can be?  Do they care about what you're trying to achieve? If you are cynical about the value the broker provides personally, it won't be a good fit.

In my opinion, everything after that is a simple math problem.