Is this a good deal ?

4 Replies

Theres a house in my neighborhood for sale at 159,500. Lets say I'll be able to get it at 150k. I plan to live in there for 6 months to a yr. According to my local Property manager, they will able to rent it out for 1250 to 1300 (Tenant pays all utilities). 

Purchase price: $150,000.00

Closing cost: $ 3000.00

Down payment : 10%

Loan Interest rate: 4.8%

Gross monthly rent : $1250.00

P&I : $ 540

PMI : $ 45

Monthly insurance : $ 45

Property taxes : $105

Vacancy : $62.50

Repairs : $62.50

CapEx: $62.50

Management : $ 125

Total expense: $1047.50

Rent : $ 1250 to $ 1300

Cash flow : $ 202.50 to $ 252.50

COS : 13.56 %

Purchase car rate: 5.95 %

This will be my first deal. There are lot of people looking to rent here. 

Thank you for your inputs

I will assume that you are buying it as an owner/occupant. Sounds too close for my money. I believe you can do much better with your 15k down payment. I think your closing cost will be more like 6 k but either way not much meat on the bone here. One months rent and one refrigerator takes away one year cash flow out of your pocket. Just my two cents. If you buy it and stay two years and sell I think you will make more ROI. Good luck.

@Manmath D. It's not terrible, but you can find better in KY for sure. Is it in an area you can airbnb? I have a buddy down there that does airbnb on a triplex and triples his income that way. Not to mention the sky high prices for the derby weekend.

@Manmath D. Are you investing for the cashflow or are you investing for appreciation? I used to own a few single families in A class areas. I knew the area very well and it was a very fast growing area. The cashflow was ok, but when I decided to sell the property, I sold it 50% higher  3 years later. I then used the proceeds to 1031 into bigger things. It gave me a big chunk of tax-free cash.

So, think about your exit strategy before you make the decision. "Gambling" that the value of the asset will increase also has its risks. But, cashflow shouldn't always be the only criteria. Consider others strategies as well that might make sense for your current situation and future plans. Maybe you really don't need the cashflow at this time and can live without it, however a good chunk of $$$ in 3-5 years can help you graduate into bigger assets. 

I'm not saying that cashflow isn't good. What I'm saying is that it shouldn't always be the only driver for decisions. 

Good luck.  

Go to title company calculate the closing cost and property taxes. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.