Andy Giles
  • Wakefield, MA
Votes |
Multi Family VS Single Family brrrr

Andy Giles
  • Wakefield, MA
Posted Apr 20 2018, 09:31

Hi all,

After reading David Greene's book, I've started looking at long distance rentals. I got preapproved and found an agent. The agent suggested multi unit properties.

It seems to me that in David's book and in Brandon's webinars, they are talking about single families when looking to BRRRR. I did a forum search and found some good info but mostly found the noncommittal answer of "it depends on what you are doing" and sure in a way it does but, I'm wonder why they and other investors would choose a single family over a multi for BRRRR.

Thanks

Andy

User Stats

Votes
John Leavelle
  • Investor
  • La Vernia, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • La Vernia, TX
Replied Apr 22 2018, 19:38

Howdy @Andy Giles

It depends on your market.  What type of properties are available.  What meets your investing criteria.  What is your price range.

User Stats

Votes
Brent Coombs
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Apr 22 2018, 23:39

@Andy Giles, the SFR suggestion by Brandon et al is often given when addressing absolute beginners, and/or those who cannot afford multis straight away. Also, the competition to buy multis is often/usually much greater (because, multis are the way to go for a larger cash-on-cash return), so again, newbies and paupers (usually) need not apply.

Also of course, "it does depend" (on your goals and many other factors). Welcome to BP...

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Andy Giles
  • Wakefield, MA
Votes |
  • Wakefield, MA
Replied Apr 23 2018, 08:59

I can see how it can depend on what you are doing but, what I am asking is why David Greene for example in his book talks about looking for 3 BR 2 BR single family homes. Also, why Brandon Turner seems to only analyze single families in his webinars.

It seemed as if there may be something obvious I was missing but maybe it is just cost and competition. I was thinking there may be something different about how they can be financed.

If multi families were available in the market that I was looking at within my price range, I can't see any reason not to go with a multi unit property.

User Stats

Votes
Brent Coombs
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Apr 23 2018, 12:01

@Andy Giles, my guess is: it's the k.i.s*.s. principle. Most everyone prefers to live in an SFR, so why wouldn't they buy-to-rent the same type as soon as they can afford to invest?

Every buying/investing principle can be most *simply explained by using the SFR example.

You wrote: "If multi families were available in the market that I was looking at within my price range, I can't see any reason not to go with a multi unit property". Neither can I! Go forth...

User Stats

Votes
Andy Giles
  • Wakefield, MA
Votes |
  • Wakefield, MA
Replied Apr 23 2018, 12:10

Cool thanks for the input.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 17 2021, 13:49

Most of a reno is in the kitchen and bathrooms so a multi will cost a lot more to rehab. There are also not as many comps for nice multi rehabs as single family sales as investors hold on to them. I'm currently running the numbers trying to decide which direction  to go myself. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 16 2023, 18:23

Also depending the eviction laws it might be harder to get to do Renos and refinance quickly.