• Hampton, VA
Votes |
Rental Investing & Taxes

Jasmine Benford
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Hampton, VA
Posted Apr 23 2018, 18:08

I haven't read the tax strategy book on BP and intend to very soon. I am looking for recommendations on the best way to explain to a family member how he would file taxes on a second property, if he already has a primary residence. For example, he purchases an investment property as a rental. Any assistance would be great. Please and thank you!    

User Stats

Votes
Patrick I.
  • St Cloud, MN
Votes |
  • St Cloud, MN
Replied Apr 30 2018, 09:22

Jasmine,

I am not able to answer that question specifically, but I would recommend "Every Landlord's Tax Deduction Guide" published by NOLO, if you have not read it yet. It is heavy in taxes and the last section deals with filling out Schedule E.

Good Luck

User Stats

Votes
Basit Siddiqi
Pro Member
#2 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Replied Apr 30 2018, 10:21

@Jasmine Benford

Your family member will be required to complete "schedule E" and list all the rental income/expenses associated with the property during the year.

If your family member has generated a loss from the rental property - he/she may be required to file form 8582(Passive Activity Loss Limitations).

Your family member may want to reach out to an accountant to help him/her the tax return.
Calculating basis for a rental property during the first year can be difficult.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes