Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes

*Incorporating in Wyoming*

Posted Oct 14 2018, 08:08

I've read that Wyoming offers the best asset protection for real estate investors (with assets outside of the state). Does anyone have a recommendation for a WY registered agent company? 

Thanks in advance! 

User Stats

Votes
Amanda G.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Augusta, GA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Augusta, GA
Replied Oct 15 2018, 11:21

Hi Priscilla,

That may be true, but I'm going to throw another variable at you- what will your tax situation be if you incorporate in one state and own property in another? That might wipe out any protection advantage. If you are concerned with this up front, it might be worthwhile to find a local attorney that specializes in asset protect and find out if a trust would do you better than interstate incorporation. Good luck whatever you decide!

User Stats

Votes
Jerry W.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Thermopolis, WY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Thermopolis, WY
ModeratorReplied Oct 16 2018, 21:32

@Priscilla B Walker, as of July 1, 2018 Wyoming now has a series LLC. There has not been any court decisions on it yet, but I would expect the normal interpretation that our courts have done on regular LLCs.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 17 2018, 05:14
Wow! Thanks Jerry!

Originally posted by @Jerry W.:

@Priscilla B Walker, as of July 1, 2018 Wyoming now has a series LLC. There has not been any court decisions on it yet, but I would expect the normal interpretation that our courts have done on regular LLCs.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 17 2018, 05:15
I will reach out to a local attorney. Thanks Amanda. 

Originally posted by @Amanda G.:

Hi Priscilla,

That may be true, but I'm going to throw another variable at you- what will your tax situation be if you incorporate in one state and own property in another? That might wipe out any protection advantage. If you are concerned with this up front, it might be worthwhile to find a local attorney that specializes in asset protect and find out if a trust would do you better than interstate incorporation. Good luck whatever you decide!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 3 2019, 01:07

@Priscilla B WalkerI would recommend incorporating in Delaware......