• Flipper/Rehabber
  • Severna Park, MD
Votes |
I need help and advice for financing rentals

Charles Wilkes
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Severna Park, MD
Posted Dec 1 2018, 00:22
Hello, I need some advice on how and where to look for financing my rental properties while still keeping them profitable with good cash flow. Me, great credit over 800, shows very little income over the last 6-7 years and has about 250k to work with. I'm trying to figure out how, and where, to finance my rental purchases with very little income on the books and how to keep my mortgage payments down so I can still make a monthly profit of each of my properties. Thank you in advance for you advice.

User Stats

Votes
Kelvin Tam
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Malaysia
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Malaysia
Replied Dec 1 2018, 00:31

Maybe you can try using Bigger Pockets calculators. It can help you justify if your investment is worth to keep or sell it.

User Stats

Votes
Sean Lambert
  • Investor
  • Pacific City, OR
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Pacific City, OR
Replied Dec 1 2018, 01:04

maybe look for a mortgage broker to help shop good rates for you?

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Karen Rittenhouse
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Greensboro, NC
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Greensboro, NC
Replied Dec 1 2018, 06:04

@Charles Wilkes Where are you located?

Check with traditional lenders - local banks, national banks, credit unions.

Find out what their requirements are and how you qualify.

Most banks will loan up to 10 rental properties and it's the cheapest long term money you will find.

Good luck to you!

User Stats

Votes
Charles Wilkes
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Severna Park, MD
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Severna Park, MD
Replied Dec 1 2018, 06:17
@Karen Rittenhouse I'm located in Maryland. I was in new home construction until the crash, started flipping in 2012 strictly using my own money. Now I want to move on the buy, fix, and rent properties for income and build a portfolio just rentals. If use my own money, I'm tapped out after a house or two. I want to build like a 15-20 house portfolio. My concern is how to get financing with having very little income over the last few years. And is there a formula to manage and buy more. Like maybe a certain percent down, finance so much, then take money out of this one to buy the next, etc...like what's the game plan to acquire and continue to build a rental portfolio? Thanks for ready, replying and your insight

User Stats

Votes
Melvin List
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Dec 1 2018, 06:55

@Charles Wilkes without income you will have to use a portfolio loan or Hard Money(not recommended).  Portfolio lenders will use the rental income to qualify.  I would expect to put down 25% and stating rates a couple of points higher than conventional

User Stats

Votes
Brian H.
  • Carolina
Votes |
  • Carolina
Replied Dec 1 2018, 07:51

@Charles Wilkes

Have you read much on the forum/blog here? Have you learned about BRRRR?? Good way to keep your money working for you. Also, I feel like the main issue you will run into is a lack of income. From my experience that is a pretty big deal for the lenders.

User Stats

Votes
Caleb Jordan
  • Lender
  • Arlington, TX
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Arlington, TX
Replied Dec 1 2018, 09:29
Originally posted by @Charles Wilkes:
Hello, I need some advice on how and where to look for financing my rental properties while still keeping them profitable with good cash flow. Me, great credit over 800, shows very little income over the last 6-7 years and has about 250k to work with. I'm trying to figure out how, and where, to finance my rental purchases with very little income on the books and how to keep my mortgage payments down so I can still make a monthly profit of each of my properties. Thank you in advance for you advice.

Local banks is one option. Commercial or hard money as others have said. Don't know too much about commercial. I know HML sometimes have interest only loans 3 to 5 years which can help cash flow a little better.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 1 2018, 09:53

Best option is to partner with someone that has a high paying W2 to qualify for financing. Or, to go it alone, the logical solution is to get a job yourself.

User Stats

Votes
Charles Wilkes
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Severna Park, MD
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Severna Park, MD
Replied Dec 1 2018, 11:20
@Thomas S. I do have day a job, just lots of write offs when flipping houses that doesn't leave a lot of net income on paper.

User Stats

Votes
Charles Wilkes
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Severna Park, MD
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Severna Park, MD
Replied Dec 1 2018, 11:27
@Daniel Banic I may have since interest, what area is the building in?

User Stats

Votes
Charles Wilkes
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Severna Park, MD
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Severna Park, MD
Replied Dec 1 2018, 11:31
@Brian H. Thanks for the good advice. I had no idea what the BRRRR acronym was for, I had to look it up. It sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I do have a day job, but a lot of write offs when flipping houses and not a lot of net income on paper. Just good credit and a little money...I'll check out the blog, thanks again any additional advice is always welcome

User Stats

Votes
Charles Wilkes
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Severna Park, MD
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Severna Park, MD
Replied Dec 1 2018, 11:33
@Melvin List How would a portfolio loan work if you don't have any rentals yet...I don't think it would unless I'm missing something.
NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Melvin List
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Dec 2 2018, 06:44

@Charles Wilkes if you are purchasing an investment property you would qualify on the rental income of the property you are purchasing.  The appraiser would come up with a proposed rent on the property and that would be used to qualify.  The lender would want the rental payments to be higher than the mortgage payments.

User Stats

Votes
Charles Wilkes
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Severna Park, MD
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Severna Park, MD
Replied Dec 2 2018, 08:33
@Melvin List Thanks Melvin, does the property need to already be rented, and if so, how many months of rental income do they like to see? What's the best type of mortgage for rentals 30yr fixed, ARM, 15 yr fixed etc...thanks again

User Stats

Votes
Peter Pratti
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Knoxville, TN
Votes |
  • Knoxville, TN
Replied Dec 2 2018, 09:53
@Charles Wilkes In your situation, it may be good to let your 250 ride on someone else’s 250 too. This way, you can get a larger property and not have to worry about your income as much. The underwriting is based more on the deal. Just an option.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Youssi
  • Caledonia, IL
Votes |
  • Caledonia, IL
Replied Dec 2 2018, 12:57

Charles here is what I have setup and is working amazing for me over the last 3.4 years specifically. We are similar in that I started a homebuilding company in 2009 and have been a residential developer for nearly 20 years . Far and away I favor investing in SFR over all other facets of our companies .

1.) Shop a commercial lender preferably a community bank or similar with assets of under 1B as they have more flexibility. I recommend minimum 2/3 although you may already have contacts from your previous experience which if this is the case a no brainer to reestablish those relationships.

2.) Obtain 2 lines of credit - first one is for cash purchases only.Eg... I went under contract on a SFR Friday after T giving for 65k which I close this Thursday. Bank giving me the entire 65k . I put in 8-10k myself take me about 2 weeks all cosmetic work.

3.) Obtain 2nd LOC for 5-7 year commercial loans. In the case above the home will appraise for 90k . I pay the 65 off the first LOC, get 7k back out of my 8-10 k and then repeat. Rarely do I not get all my rehab money back as bank gives me 80% of appraised value or 100% of my costs whichever is lower. In this case deal way too ez to pass up.

Important to know a few things IMHO about myself and other posts on this thread. Charles I disagree with the partner approach as you already have funds and skillset .Next its' Way way too difficult to obtain secondary market money in my situation and it sounds like where you wish to be by scaling. Several reasons for this - low W-2 / AGI vs commercial lenders add back in depreciation -giving etc...Unsure about secondary market financing. Next is the speed of which you wish to scale. If your wanting 1/2 props / year than secondary market may work. If not then commercial loans ignore the 6 month waiting period for you to get your rehab funds back - 

Simply put apply 1-3 and then repeat. We now have purchased about 35 over the last few years sold a small amount and now are sitting around 30. Avg cash flow / door is $300/ month. All loans are on now 6/13  fully amortized loans. All bc props no section 8 props. I also am now building on duplex lots I purchased during the correction from a lender and am developing 4 family rentals. Again a no brainer with your skillset and background IMHO. 

Let me know how it works out - best wishes moving forward.

User Stats

Votes
Charles Wilkes
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Severna Park, MD
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Severna Park, MD
Replied Dec 2 2018, 21:52
@Chris Youssi That was some great advice, exactly what I was looking for. I'm just trying to see what works for other people so, I can incorporate some of their ideas, that make sense to me, into my own ideas. Your reply was very helpful and I will take it all into consideration as I plan my next move. Cheers, Charlie

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Weidner
  • Whitehouse, TX
Votes |
  • Whitehouse, TX
Replied Dec 3 2018, 07:23
@Charles Wilkes there are lenders that will lend on rentals based on cash flow and not w-2 income. They may have a higher rate but still competitive. Although I haven’t used such a lender figured I would pass the info on if you could use it. Check out Visio and lending one. They area couple that do this type of lending. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Youssi
  • Caledonia, IL
Votes |
  • Caledonia, IL
Replied Dec 3 2018, 07:36

Charles my pleasure. Keep me posted and let me know if I can help moving forward just PM me and we can converse!

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Bullis
  • Investor
  • Chesterfield, SC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Chesterfield, SC
Replied Dec 14 2018, 07:13

as a rule of thumb. If I am not making $1000.00 per $100,000.00 I am not making any money. It is a good rule of thumb and will get you ahead as well. Look at what you can improve in order to get those deals and prices as well to get to that value. I always make sure I am making at least that.