Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes

Where to keep cash savings to buy a rental?

Posted Jun 25 2019, 16:51

We have cash and thinking of investing it in longterm ETF and keep it in Roth IRA until we can save enough to acquire a rental property. I feel bad not investing our savings but our goal for now is to acquire a rental property. Are there other options that I should consider?

User Stats

Votes
Ali Boone
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Venice Beach, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Venice Beach, CA
Replied Jun 26 2019, 00:08

Are you wanting to use that money towards the rental property when you're ready? If you are, then I'd look at something a lot more easily liquid than long-term investment funds.

User Stats

Votes
Cameron Tope
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Katy, TX
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Katy, TX
Replied Jun 26 2019, 04:02

@Christopher Carbonel how long are you thinking it will take until you can save enough to buy a rental? If it's less than 5 years then I agree with @Ali Boone and you should look for something more liquid. However, if your timeline is 5 years or more then I would invest it in a low-cost index fund and get your money to work for you!

Best of luck!

• Property Manager Texas (#717626)

Emerson Property Management Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Mike Dymski#5 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Votes |
Mike Dymski#5 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Replied Jun 26 2019, 05:43

Online savings account (2.2% range currently).  Discover, Marcus, Am Ex, Ally, Citi, and Synchrony are popular ones among BP members.