Seller being way too emotional?

56 Replies

@Dylan Thomas , it's really a very simple problem...

There are two sides to every deal. Your perception of the seller is what got you to lose the deal. You can never lose sight of that if you want to truly be successful. We frequently buy houses at a lower price than the first and "best" offer. Taking their needs into account is critical.

When negotiating, understand there are also two parts to the process. There are price and terms. If either part takes both, it's not a deal for the other. You tried to control both. You wanted to control the price and the terms (time line). It cost you the deal.

I truly hope you learn from this and learn how to present and negotiate your offers better in the future. I'd love to hear about your success story.

To your success and growth. Good luck going forward!

@Dylan Thomas

If I am the seller, I wouldn’t sell to you. The listing is a couple of days old. Unless she’s about to be foreclosed on, what’s the hurry? You can’t demand that the seller drop everything & work with you while also asking for a discount.

"Get it done at all costs"

But you didnt get it done....

maybe "all costs" for you should mean being patient, respecting the other side of the deal and getting down off your high horse. 

@Dylan Thomas you seem very new. The first deal is very exciting, but as was said by a lot of people, you got too personally invested and emotional when it didn’t go your way.

I made an offer at $55k on a duplex listed for $79,900 The agent said the seller was motives, but the seller countered my offer back at 79,000. Instead of getting pissed, I declined and said we could revisit this later.

Maybe I get the deal, maybe I won’t, but I’m leaving the door open instead of rage ending the deal.

Good luck!

@Dylan Thomas

If I was the seller in this situation I would have likely walked away from your offer and ignored any future offers, especially after the 1201 AM antics.

IMO, putting those conditions in your offer just signals to the seller that you are likely going to be a pain to work with throughout the entire process, nickle and diming everything little thing along the way.

Sounds like you missed out on a good deal.

@Dylan Thomas I’m not going to beat you up, sounds like that’s happened a lot in this thread. I tell me sales team’s all the time - you want to close the deal, put yourself in the other persons shoes. Figure out what a win means to them, and play to that. It’s not about you - it never is. It’s about you making the other party PERCEIVE they’re winning.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here