Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2020 · 79 posts · 78 votes
I don’t want to name drop but I paid $4000 for a 3 day workshop and now they want $40,000 more for coaching and mentorship. A friend of mine that has a successful portfolio worth millions advised me not to. He recommend to network as much as possible, study and research and start small and scale up. Your biggest investment is yourself so decided to check out bigger pockets to start my journey.
So curious to see who else has gone through those 3 day workshops in hotel conference rooms and try to sell you more and more things. Or who else has made it without shelling out 80,000 dollars for coaching and mentorship?
I'm confused, are you saying you paid the $4000 or are u implying that someone else did? And I'd advise against the $40,000 coaching because that is literally a downpayment on a house. Network and learn what to do from people a little more experienced at a fraction of the cost (coffee, dinner, lunch etc.) and use the $40,000 to invest in Real estate yourself.
Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
6y
You know I hate to say it but anybody dumb enough to give these groups 40k almost deserves to lose their money . Especially when they come to the end and advise you go to the back tables and talk to the experts on extending your credit card limits to join their platinum program . These people are all professional actors they probably don’t even own real estate . Do you really think that dean grazioso is doing rehabs on beat up houses ? The guy has probably never held a hammer in his life . Same with the rest of them . They are too busy whitening their teeth and brushing their hair to get dirty
Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2019 · 88 posts · 55 votes
6y
@Jeremiah Akindele The Bigger Pockets podcasts are really helpful. I listened to them on my way to work. I bought my 1st multi family home last yr using an FHA loan. I never went to any expensive classes.
Northport, NY · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 7 votes
6y
@Jeremiah Akindele
I did the same thing about 10 years ago and I even think I know which group You went with when You quoted the price.
I did learn a lot from that “ hotel conference”
Over the three days. I opted out of the 40k
One on one mentoring program. Hands down the best thing I ever did. As soon as they said put it on your credit card or take a loan, I knew that was not for me.
Here on Bigger Pockets You will get more information from this community than You can get anywhere. How forthcoming and willing this community is available to assist and guide You is amazing.
DO NOT put anyone money on these programs.
Becoming a Pro member on here will benefit You more.
I’ve been on here less than 6 months and what a wealth of knowledge I have gained.
Take whatever money You thought of investing in that part of your education and use it for a down payment on an investment property.
Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2020 · 79 posts · 78 votes
6y
@Nichole Compton
Man bigger pockets definitely seems like a hidden gemstone because I had never heard of them till of recent and folks like you just make this journey even more realistic with the help and responses I have gotten. Very grateful for your comment and one thing I have learned is to have an attorney on your team so just might be blowing up your inbox very soon Nichole. 😀
Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2020 · 79 posts · 78 votes
6y
@Doug Smith thanks for the info Doug. It’s amazing how many more people can use advise like this. Especially the ones that signed up for the extra training. An older lady with several properties that came to learn more didn’t even show up on day 2 after learning of the extra 40k.
Rental Property Investor · Byron, MN · Member since 2015 · 71 posts · 34 votes
6y
@Jeremiah Akindele Success leaves clues, if your millionaire friend says dont do it, then dont do it. Follow you're friends path, assuming he is in real estate. Sounds like you have a mentor already.
Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2020 · 79 posts · 78 votes
6y
@Blake Mitchell grateful for the info Blake. Just subscribed to both Graham Stephan and Meet Kevin on YouTube. Just by looking at their profiles I am definitely impressed so far. Hell, $400 for a course doesn’t seem a million times as bad as $40 thousand dollars.
Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2020 · 79 posts · 78 votes
6y
@Ola Dantis great info Ola. That’s is an interesting perspective that I never considered. My fear or rather biggest concern is that all these hotel lobby workshops will keep asking for more and more and more with every level of expertise and coaching. Heck my masters degree cost 80k and I am still paying for it till today. So I am willing to pay the price is the value is inevitable not gamble my savings on a guy selling me financial freedom through information I can get on these forums for instance. Great connecting with you.
Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2020 · 79 posts · 78 votes
6y
@Praise Emmanuel. My wife was actually urging me to pay the 40k and I was like 😳😟🤬 need to go into some serious meditation before making that kinda move. I would like to learn more about your experience in your city as well. Will connect.
Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2020 · 79 posts · 78 votes
6y
@Dustin Mathenia hey Dustin great connecting with you as long as you are not a Dallas Cowboys fan lol. Thanks for the information, as a newbie I am definitely impressed with the responses I have gotten from bigger pockets. Wish I knew about it years ago life would be so much different now. Ha.
Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2020 · 79 posts · 78 votes
6y
@Patricia Taveras. I would hug you if I could. Thanks for the information. Truly helpful. As with anything in life education is key and also surrounding yourself with likeminded people. Definitely grateful I joined bigger pockets.
Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2020 · 79 posts · 78 votes
6y
@Dennis M. Haha. Great comment. My wife is from Philly and i am willing to grab a beer with you no matter how far you are from Philly. Thanks for the info. I do appreciate it.
Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2020 · 79 posts · 78 votes
6y
@Jeremy Wirths I have never been to New Hampshire but this comment deserves a plane ticket to come out and shake your hand lol. Wow wow wow. Amazing post and thanks for sharing. I have already started working on these tips and strategies and will absolutely continue to do so.
Realtor · Hickory, NC · Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
6y
@Jeremiah Akindele I recently went to a seminar in Charlotte and they where asking $200 for the 3 day workshop for that day. $500 if purchased online. I didn't sign up for the workshop though. Pros and Cons what did you get out of the workshop?
I didn't read all the replies, however here is my experience. I went to a "show up for an hour, free course (hotel board room)". While there I signed up for a $100, 3 day workshop. It got me and the wife in (her idea from the beginning). We attended the 3 day course. It had some great info. However once they were talking about to raise our credit limits.... so that it would improve our credit score (we were over 800 each at that point anyway with plenty of lines). Went to day 2 and they had people stand up that got bigger lines of credit and I just sighed..... People with nothing convinced to get 40K worth of credit.
We did attend the whole 3 days, but I was pretty set as a no (even at their base program of only 19,999). The wife wanted to go all in. I looked up info and spent quite awhile figuring out what to do. I got my license and pulled out 20K and invested with a flipper I knew. The first house was a heck of a learning experience. Didn't make much (like $1400 when all said and done... and 18 months). Spent more hours understanding what I was dealing with than the profit could even get close to covering. But I wasn't paying a 40K loan to be able to learn (and still need to invest more money). I am a firm believer in education, but if you are in a room full of people trying to be "One of the chosen few" I would reconsider. Your results may vary though.
Flipper/Rehabber · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 174 posts · 157 votes
6y
@Jeremiah Akindele
Haha even though I live 7 minutes from the stadium I am not a cowboys fan lol. Yea there is a lot of great content on here and most of the time no one is trying to sell it. Have you checked out the podcast ?
I don’t want to name drop but I paid $4000 for a 3 day workshop and now they want $40,000 more for coaching and mentorship. A friend of mine that has a successful portfolio worth millions advised me not to. He recommend to network as much as possible, study and research and start small and scale up. Your biggest investment is yourself so decided to check out bigger pockets to start my journey.
So curious to see who else has gone through those 3 day workshops in hotel conference rooms and try to sell you more and more things. Or who else has made it without shelling out 80,000 dollars for coaching and mentorship? Please advise.
Save your money. (Don't spend it on $40,000 of coaching - it's just "feel good") as in "Gosh, I must be an investor now, since I've spent so much money on it."
Instead:
Join a REIA NaitionalREIA.org (Usually $20 per month) Make friends
Take action. Do a Joint Venture with a friend from the REIA and
Buy a house and make money and learn along the way
And Laugh, Laugh, Laugh that you didn't spend $40,000 on "feel good".
Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2020 · 79 posts · 78 votes
6y
@Emanuel Ohunwu wow that’s awesome brother. I wish someone told me 6 weeks ago I would have not even paid 4 grand for the workshop talk-less of 40k for coaching. Let’s connect I would like to hear some more of your success tips and stories.
Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2020 · 79 posts · 78 votes
6y
@James Deonarine thanks a bunch James. I also learned a lot from the workshops until I realized, YouTube and Biggerpockets has the same information I paid for. But you live and learn right?
Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2020 · 79 posts · 78 votes
6y
@Mike Cumbie thanks for the information Mike. My wife also wanted to go all in. I lost a few pieces of hair that night lol. But I decided to speak with a close family friend that was already a successful investor and he advised otherwise.