Driving for Dollars ATX

5 Replies

I did some driving around neighborhoods off of Anderson Mill in NW Austin, looking for potential opportunities. I found a few, but I'm not sure if they will pan out which is something I am currently looking into. But it also raised couple of questions:

• What do you look for when driving around? 
  • Do you stop and look around the house or just look at it from the curb?

@Gordon Ray definitely from the curb only.  Trespassing laws in Texas are quite real and a lot of people have guns.  

In general, look for deferred maintenance.  Poor upkeep of landscaping, worn siding or fascia boards, badly weathered roof or stone work, peeling paint, etc.  Anything that could indicate the owner does not know the condition of the property or is unwilling/unable to have upkeep performed.  

@Gordon Ray

The unknown damages could be:

• Non-owner occupied. The owner or investor does reside on the premises there and has not been informed of needed maintenance.
  • Owner occupant who has let the property fall into disrepair.

The greatest advantage as a potential buyer with these properties is that often the accumilated deferred maintenance becomes too great to tackle for the owner and they need help. Enter you. Once they are open to the conversation you can present a solution and do your diligence.  

Originally posted by @Bryan Noth :

@Gordon Ray

The unknown damages could be:

• Non-owner occupied. The owner or investor does reside on the premises there and has not been informed of needed maintenance.
    • Owner occupant who has let the property fall into disrepair.

The greatest advantage as a potential buyer with these properties is that often the accumilated deferred maintenance becomes too great to tackle for the owner and they need help. Enter you. Once they are open to the conversation you can present a solution and do your diligence.  

Makes perfect sense. Thanks a ton, Bryan!