Down Payment Struggles As A Newbie

27 Replies

I’m looking to invest in a property in Arizona. This will be my first property ever bought or invested in. I have no down payment. I’m not sure if a loan, credit cards or my 401k would be a better option to use as my down payment. Some people also say do a couple of flips to build the capital but i need a down payment to even start a flip. And saving just seems like such a long process to me.

Some form of a cash position will be required, and to get there you will have to save money from whatever income source you have. The most attainable down payment scenario starting out is first time home buyer as a primary residence, which doesn't sound like a rental but after you build equity in the home and also put away more savings to have a cash position for the next deal, you'll be ready to get the next door also as a primary residence, and then assign the first primary to your LLC and rent it out. Now you've got your first door with 3% down. Eventually at some point you'll have to shift toward making the 25%-ish down required for conventional commercial loans, but those first couple of doors can get you started, and cash flow can help shorten the runway to the next deal if you continue to live frugally.

@Dareen Allie , credit card interest rate is very high, and it's not recommended to fund your deal with credit cards. Ideally you should save some money and have a spare savings for down payment and also have still extra cash to handle unexpected situations such as repairs or vacancies. Taking loans from 401K is still a better option as you're paying interest to your own retirement, and at worst you lose the opportunity from stock market growth from the amount you owe. The maximum amount that you may take as a 401(k) loan is generally 50% of your vested account balance, or $50,000, whichever is less.

If this is your first deal, I would suggest to be more conservative with your cash. Sometimes RE investing is not as rosy as what you've read or heard. Therefore, having extra cushion of liquid cash to plan for some unexpected is a wise move. I hope this helps and good luck with your investment journey.

@Dareen Allie live below your means, take 2nd or part time job, liquidate belongings to turn into cash, ditch items that may have payments, (car payments) and you can make it happen.

I do not know the Arizona market but I know it takes work to save money. You can do it!

@Dareen Allie I’d recommend starting with a househack if possible. My wife and I bought a large 4 bedroom/3.5 bath house and have been renting out the 3 bedrooms on Airbnb. Typically it covers our entire mortgage payment and sometimes extra cash on top of that. Doing something like that could help you get started with investing and save money at the same time. Plus you may only need a small down payment (3-5%). If you don’t want to share your space with others you could look for a duplex/triplex/fourplex instead. 

@Dareen Allie I was right where you were 4.5 years ago. So, I started in wholesaling - finding deals off market and partnering with people who did have money. Learning to find a great deal is the most invaluable tool in the long run anyway. I recommend you start there. 

@Dareen Allie early on its more about sacrificing, but now at 54, there is way more freedom. You literally have to start somewhere and I did not come from wealth so I had to hustle and work hard my entire life. YOU can as well and build what you want.

1) Hard-money lender. There are a ton on Bigger Pockets.

2) Family and friends

3) Get creative. Start a kickstarter, post on Facebook, Instagram. 

4) Just save the money. Eating out, alcohol, Starbucks, and long showers are all pleasures. If you REALLY want to buy a house, you're going to have to feel some pain for it.

Finesse can be vital to get the finances to work sometimes. Remember that growth causes pain, and for that, you will be rewarded. So many people in this world are unwilling to do just that, and they will always be discontent. What path will you take?

@Dareen Allie   We have a realistic option for you.  I would recommend taking from the 401k.  You may take a tax hit but if you have a good CPA you can get around those penalties. Then you can work with a company like ours that offers joint ventures to allow real estate investors to build capital and work within an established process.