Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Helms
Votes |
Do I have this right?

Joseph Helms
Posted Jul 30 2021, 13:07

Note: This is my very first investment. I purchased a B2R in Cape Coral Florida. My financed amount being 231k but these are retailing for 310k... So if I see this correctly i could get a 2nd lien HELOC on this property and utilize that money for additional investments? Any advice is great! Thanks in advance.

User Stats

Votes
Joe Splitrock
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Sioux Falls, SD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Sioux Falls, SD
ModeratorReplied Jul 30 2021, 13:13

If the lender offering the 2nd lien HELOC is ok with lending the money, then yes. The first mortgage holder doesn't care because they are in second position. That means if you sell, the primary lender gets paid first.

User Stats

Votes
Stetson Miller
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Fort Myers, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Fort Myers, FL
Replied Jul 30 2021, 13:37

@Joseph Helms review your loan agreement and check with the lender if necessary. There are some loan packages that do not allow second mortgages, or require a specific approval and notification process to take place first. If you can go through with it, the primary lender typically requires that you hold some minimum equity in the property, again depending on the loan type. Assuming it's a single family, that number could be anywhere between 15-25%. So, you assuming you would theoretically be able to take out a HELOC against 85% of your current value of $310,000 ($263,500), you would then subtract the current mortgage payoff of about $231,000, leaving you with a maximum HELOC option of $32,500. After taking into account associated loan fees and interest, that final number is often a lot more work than most people are hoping.

Hope this helps!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Helms
Votes |
Replied Jul 31 2021, 02:08

Thank you so much! Great info. I’ll check with the lender! Would be awesome to be able to utilize that for another investment! 

Account Closed
Votes |
Replied Jul 31 2021, 03:30

I would never leverage a property that tight because when something goes wrong like you need a major repair for one property and you don't have the cash then your real estate empire falls like a set of dominoes. I think it is psychology better to know you have equity in a property just in case you have a serious emergency e.g. a property needs a new sewer that costs $20,000, or a property has fire. Insurance companies may pay for the re-construction, but you may not get paid for the loss of rental income and sometimes insurance companies tie up your property for a very long time getting bids for re-construction and sometime it takes a very long time for insurance companies to get experts to determine whether or not the fire was started by arson for insurance fraud and then your insurance company may not pay one penny to re-construct the property, you end up going to court and then what do you do?

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Helms
Votes |
Replied Jul 31 2021, 03:46

@Jack Orthman gotcha. Yea, makes sense. Thanks so

The input!

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Williamson
  • Cape Coral, FL
Votes |
  • Cape Coral, FL
Replied Aug 3 2021, 20:25

Random but FYI Bank of the West and also Penfed Credit Union do HELOC on investment properties. Most banks do not.

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Helms
Votes |
Replied Aug 4 2021, 01:56

Thanks! Great info!