Skip to content
Real Estate Agent

User Stats

Votes
Doug Johnson
Votes |
Nonresident licensed Florida agent required to join NAR?

Doug Johnson
Posted Feb 17 2024, 07:48

Recently obtained a nonresident Florida license as I reside in Georgia. Newly contracted broker suggest I join the Greater Tampa Association (GTA). I'm not fond of all the junk fees associations charge members. I was a member of the NAR 20 years ago and would rather not join. Secondly, I would be paying for access to their Stellar MLS which I already have access to through Georgia. Is it mandatory for me to join the GTA?

User Stats

Votes
Adam Bartomeo
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Replied Feb 17 2024, 09:51

If you want to sell real estate in the state of FL you HAVE to work for a Broker. If that Broker is part of the association (99.9% chance that they are) than the association will force any and all agents to join and pay for all of the services.

User Stats

Votes
John Karg
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Replied Feb 17 2024, 11:55

Hi Doug, 

Your broker may require you to be a member of the local MLS, however there any many brokerages that don't, as it is not a requirement to have a license or even practice real estate. I'd be happy to share a couple of brokerages that don't require this if you PM me.

John

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Doug Johnson
Votes |
Replied Feb 17 2024, 19:03
Quote from @Adam Bartomeo:

If you want to sell real estate in the state of FL you HAVE to work for a Broker. If that Broker is part of the association (99.9% chance that they are) than the association will force any and all agents to join and pay for all of the services.

Thanks for your response. I have been licensed for just over 20 yrs in 3 states and Florida is my fourth. I just signed a contract with a broker to hang my license last week. He suggested I become a member of the Greater Tampa Assoc. My issue is after looking at all their worthless fees and specifically Stellar MLS, it turned me off. Georgia and Florida share MLS data and I already have access to the Stellar database. It's overkill for me to pay the association fee for their MLS which I already have available. I will be in Tampa next week to discuss it my with broker.

User Stats

Votes
Doug Johnson
Votes |
Replied Feb 17 2024, 19:07
Quote from @John Karg:

Hi Doug, 

Your broker may require you to be a member of the local MLS, however there any many brokerages that don't, as it is not a requirement to have a license or even practice real estate. I'd be happy to share a couple of brokerages that don't require this if you PM me.

John

Thanks John. I will be in Tampa next week to discuss the situation with my broker. The fact the associations force agents to join is a questionable tactic. 

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Feb 17 2024, 19:35
Quote from @Doug Johnson:
Quote from @John Karg:

Hi Doug, 

John

Thanks John. I will be in Tampa next week to discuss the situation with my broker. The fact the associations force agents to join is a questionable tactic. 

You're not required to join. If you join a brokerage that is a member, then you are. You are perfectly free to attain your own brokerage license and not join, or join a brokerage that is not a member.

District Invest Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
John Karg
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Replied Feb 18 2024, 09:52
Quote from @John Karg:

Hi Doug, 

John

Hi Doug, after reading your question again I think I misunderstood--are you asking if the local MLS can force you to be a member of the National Realtor's Association? In that case the answer is yes, all local MLS associations will require you to be a member of the national association and pay it's related dues, there is unfortunately no way around it.

John

User Stats

Votes
Doug Johnson
Votes |
Replied Feb 20 2024, 16:20
Quote from @John Karg:
Quote from @John Karg:

Hi Doug, 

John

Hi Doug, after reading your question again I think I misunderstood--are you asking if the local MLS can force you to be a member of the National Realtor's Association? In that case the answer is yes, all local MLS associations will require you to be a member of the national association and pay it's related dues, there is unfortunately no way around it.

John

That must be a Florida law. I'm not a member of any association in Georgia and have full access to the MLS and Stellar. I just read there is a group forming a viable association entity which in not affiliated with the NAR. Forcing agents to join the NAR will soon be eliminated along with their monopoly.