Votes
Marques Barton
  • Redford, MI
Votes |
Social Media Marketing

Marques Barton
  • Redford, MI
Posted Sep 22 2015, 17:04

Good evening BP, I recently received my real estate license and currently working part time at Keller Williams Northville/Novi Market Center in Novi,MI. My plan is to eventually go full time and continue to grow my business. 

My question is as a new agent should I create new handles for my social media outlets to promote my business or should use my current ones?(personal) I know Facebook is a key marketing tool but my current employers follow me. Not sure how they will take it if they see me marketing to potential buyers or sellers.

User Stats

Votes
JOAN DICKIE
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • La Crosse, WI
Votes |
  • La Crosse, WI
Replied Sep 22 2015, 17:16

For Facebook, you will create a business page from your personal page.  A business page will allow you to run ads that you can't from your personal.  I created new handles for the rest of social media.  Check with your broker how you need to word your handles.  In Minn. it has to have your broker's name in all advertising which includes social media.  Wisconsin is a little more lax.  So to cover my bases, my handle in Facebook and Instagram is Joan Dickie-Keller Williams Premier Realty.

Congrats on starting your new career!

User Stats

Votes
Robert Musallam
  • Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Sep 23 2015, 13:22

Hey @Marques Barton congrats on getting your license!

I would definitely create a new handle for all your profiles. @JOAN DICKIE nailed it. It's all about your ability to market yourself. If you want to take full advantage of Facebook, then you need a business page. 

One of the primary differences between the Personal and Business Page is how easily people can sign up to receive your content. On a personal page, a friend request must go out and be accepted, thus allowing ALL of your history on Facebook to be visible.

On a business page, someone can find you, simply like your page, and consume all of your content practically instantly. However, because you're just creating your page now, you will not have all the nonsense most Facebook personal pages have that aren't relevant to you making money in Real Estate. And liking your page only gives them access to your business page, not your personal page.

I've been using Social media to get leads in the bay area. If you need any input on where to start, feel free to check out my site in my signature. I also have a free Guide To Facebook For Realtors. If you're interested in learning more about using Facebook for lead generation, I think it can be very useful for you.

In general though, feel free to reach out anytime and I'd be happy to help in any way possible.

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Marques Barton
  • Redford, MI
Votes |
  • Redford, MI
Replied Sep 24 2015, 09:09

Thanks @JOAN DICKIE I'm going to be creating all my social media handles today. I'll be sure to ask my coach to ensure everything is on the up and up in regards to my usernames.

User Stats

Votes
Marques Barton
  • Redford, MI
Votes |
  • Redford, MI
Replied Sep 24 2015, 09:20

Thanks @Robert Musallamfor breaking down the Facebook business page info for me. I have clear understanding now and I will  definitely use it to get more leads for my business.

User Stats

Votes
JOAN DICKIE
  • La Crosse, WI
Votes |
  • La Crosse, WI
Replied Sep 24 2015, 09:23

You are welcome.  I'm a broker so pardon me for sounding like mom on the next comment.  If your coach is in your office or state, that is great.  Coaches from other areas usually aren't familiar with advertising rules for multiple states.  I just want to help keep you safe.  Let me tell you a story.  In Minnesota, a real estate agent was subject to several thousands in fines and having his paperwork audited for the last three years (not only contracts, but marketing too!) because a state regulator saw a picture in Facebook posted by sellers celebrating their sale beside the yard sign.  The regulator deemed the brokers name not big enough on the sign.  Not all states are the same, just don't put yourself in the states attention.

User Stats

Votes
Dev Horn
Pro Member
#3 Marketing Your Property Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Arlington, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Marketing Your Property Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Arlington, TX
Replied Sep 24 2015, 11:06
Originally posted by @JOAN DICKIE:

You are welcome.  I'm a broker so pardon me for sounding like mom on the next comment.  If your coach is in your office or state, that is great.  Coaches from other areas usually aren't familiar with advertising rules for multiple states.  I just want to help keep you safe.  Let me tell you a story.  In Minnesota, a real estate agent was subject to several thousands in fines and having his paperwork audited for the last three years (not only contracts, but marketing too!) because a state regulator saw a picture in Facebook posted by sellers celebrating their sale beside the yard sign.  The regulator deemed the brokers name not big enough on the sign.  Not all states are the same, just don't put yourself in the states attention.

That is a great story.  We have licensees all over the U.S., and many of our people are licensed agents or brokers in addition to being investors.  It's one thing to give people advice, but we actually execute the marketing for our people so we've had to learn state by state what the regulations and requirements are related to disclosure, disclaimers, copy, signage, etc. etc.

So Joan's advice is SO important - LEARN YOUR STATE RULES and heed her warning that there are educators and coaches that will not know your state as well as you MUST know your state rules.  No reason not to use an out-of-state coach, just know that  awareness of local rules is on you, not them.

User Stats

Votes
Marques Barton
  • Redford, MI
Votes |
  • Redford, MI
Replied Sep 24 2015, 11:19

She is in the office and we meet once a week. @JOAN DICKIE thanks again for your input, That is something I will research so I can avoid that mistake with my marketing here in Michigan. Thanks again  I really appreciate it and I love learning from experienced professionals.