• Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
Are Professional Headshots Worth It?

Cody Gentry
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Posted Feb 5 2016, 16:21

I was going through some of the profiles on here and noticed that quite a few people have some type of professional headshot of themselves done, so it got me thinking. 

1. In your opinion, Is it worth it?
2. Do you use a professional headshot for social media? (facebook, etc)
3. If you did get pictures taken, how much did it cost you?

Thanks for the help!

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Feb 5 2016, 16:26

1) Depending on your profession it is essential. If you are a real estate agent, it is a given that you need one.

2) That being said, while I do have professional headshots...my picture on here is actually not my professional headshot, it is just a picture from my wedding that I like.

District Invest Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Ziehr
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Feb 5 2016, 16:28

I think it is worth it. My first headshot was taken by a friend and another friend made it look incredible in photoshop = $0 cost.

Then about 2 years ago I paid $300 for professional photography and got 3 really good images out of that photoshoot. I use these images for my business page on facebook, linkedin, yelp, website, mailers, etc. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Dawn Brenengen
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Raleigh, NC
ModeratorReplied Feb 5 2016, 21:00

I usually have the woman who does our family pictures take a few extras of just me each year to see if I can use one as a headshot.

Account Closed
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Dayton, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Dayton, OH
Replied Feb 6 2016, 06:25

Anyone who has one done think it is worth it.  Why else would they spend the money for it? 

Before using the shot I have now, I used a more informal one of me shaking hands with a good-old-boy as an experiment on this site to see how well it played.  I've noticed since I switched to my professional head shot, I am taken more seriously.

You only get one chance to make a first impression - make it your best.

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Maas
  • Realtor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Replied Feb 6 2016, 10:06

It's worth it. Price depends on your market, I paid $100

User Stats

Votes
Mindy Jensen
  • BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host
  • Longmont, CO
Votes |
  • BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host
  • Longmont, CO
Replied Feb 7 2016, 04:57

@Cody Gentry, I will chime in and say that for the purposes of this site, especially in the beginning, you don't need a professional headshot. A good headshot, yes. An image that conveys what you look like, absolutely. Your image is fine right now. 

Should you wish to change it, have a friend take a series of pictures of you against a plain background. I don't think you need to spend money on pictures for this site.

I do think the professional images you see are for other purposes originally, and then just reused on this site.

Like Russell Brazil, mine is from a wedding, and I really liked it. 

User Stats

Votes
George Dean
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied Mar 23 2016, 17:46

I personally do TONS of professional headshots for professionals...

Having a strong professional headshot tells people, even if subliminally, you ARE a indeed professional & mean business. It shows you CARE and you don't cut corners. A crappy headshot says the opposite.

High a true professional who understands lighting, posing, .... I also STRONGLY recommend a white background b/c the marketing applications are really really cool.

I do have a few videos on my website SHOWING THIS but I can't post a ink b/c its promoting... too bad. With the use of a white background, a graphic designer can expand the background to make a seemless high-end looking marketing peice. 

Is a professional headshot worth it? Is hiring a professional real estate worth it? ;)

George