Account Closed
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
How can I get deals, quickly?

Account Closed
  • Dallas, TX
Posted Oct 18 2016, 21:25

Hey everyone!

I'm new to the site and I'm newly licensed. I'm in a program called Zap at my local Coldwell Banker and I've received a lot of leads. The problem is those leads take awhile before they want to buy. I want something more instantaneous. I've heard the same old phone time, do open houses busy work but that didn't do anything for me. I'm looking to see if you guys have a more creative idea? I've been doing leases non-stop, as referrals for another lady I helped find an inexpensive condo but those aren't worth it to me, they're a lot lower than I'd like and I want to get into the luxury market. Any ideas? 

User Stats

Votes
George P.
  • Property Manager
  • Livonia, MI
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Livonia, MI
Replied Oct 18 2016, 21:58

oh, so you want to be like the agents on Selling LA, but you want it right away, correct?

Account Closed
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Oct 18 2016, 22:09

Not a want, but a need. The sarcasm is not appreciated. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Mindy Jensen
  • BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host
  • Longmont, CO
Votes |
  • Longmont, CO
Replied Oct 20 2016, 11:58

@Account Closed , becoming an agent has this aura of instant money.

Reality throws ice cold water on that. 

As you went through licensing classes, I'm sure you heard the "sphere of influence" term thrown about. That's actually pretty spot on.

"Who are you? Why should I allow you to sell my house or help me buy one? I don't know you, I've never seen your face on a sign in someone else's yard, I'm going with someone else."

Very common thoughts from people looking to do a real estate transaction.

One of the best tips I ever heard was during my online coursework. An agent said he bought a name tag that gives his name and title of Real Estate Agent. He wears it everywhere and carries business cards at all times. He says he's gotten a ton of business simply because people notice his name tag. 

Mine cost me $25. I collected $9,000 commission on my first purchase, so that was totally worth it.

So get a name tag - a good, high quality name tag and wear it everywhere. Tell every single person you know that you're an agent, and you're looking to help anyone who is thinking about buying or selling.

Figure out what you're going to tell people when they ask you why they should hire you. What do you bring to the table?

User Stats

Votes
Pat McGrath
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Lincoln, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Lincoln, CA
Replied Oct 25 2016, 13:50

@Mindy Jensen so your first deal was because of your nametag? From a complete stranger?

Anyone pay for leads from realtor.com or Zillow? I've asked a few agents in my office and they seem to say they stink and that SOI is much better time spent. I was just looking at the 2015 NAR results for how buyers found their realtor. I can't seem to get the whole report (yet) only the highlights. 41% from referral (the biggest %). I found a much older survey results that said 0% of them came from direct mail alone. the CAR 2015 survey said 61% from relationships (up from 38% in 2014, so quite a swing). 12% only from advertising.

User Stats

Votes
Mindy Jensen
  • Longmont, CO
Votes |
  • Longmont, CO
Replied Oct 25 2016, 14:22

Hi @Pat McGrath .

I just re-read that and it actually reads as though I got my first deal through my name tag.

I'm sorry that was so misleading. No, I did not get my first deal through my name tag.

But the person who gave the name tag advice said his name tag started quite a few conversations that led to deals. 

User Stats

Votes
Pat McGrath
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Lincoln, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Lincoln, CA
Replied Oct 25 2016, 14:25

ah ok...so a multi-pronged approach...maybe where you knew them before a bit, and then they noticed your nametag and over time, you really didn't have TELL them your a realtor, your name tag did that for you :)

User Stats

Votes
David Hunter
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Oct 25 2016, 17:10

Go ask top agents in your office if they can refer you to any business they don't want.  You'd be surprised how many listings/buyers they let loose because they don't want to deal with them.

User Stats

Votes
Catherine Coy
  • Lender
  • Huntington Beach, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Huntington Beach, CA
Replied Oct 25 2016, 23:23

Allison Stearman, listen to this...

4:14:52 mins https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nyszau1i9fo

User Stats

Votes
Robert Wilson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Oct 26 2016, 06:34

As a new agent SOI is the way to go...

Go into your phone, your Facebook friends list, your LinkedIn contacts... Make a list of all of the people who know you and like you.

Divide that list by 22.... Reach out to them and tell them your getting started in real estate and to please let you know if anyone is looking to buy, sell, or rent... And you will give them the most personal service possible.

Make it your goal to get through 1/22 of that list every work day between now and Thanksgiving. Good things will happen.

Try to get through a small deal or two to build your confidence. Also.... If you NEED money... Deliver pizzas or be an Uber driver on the side... Buyers and sellers are repelled by agents who have 'commission breath.'

User Stats

Votes
Mike Cumbie
  • REALTOR®
  • Brockport, NY
Votes |
  • REALTOR®
  • Brockport, NY
ModeratorReplied Oct 26 2016, 07:29

Hi @Account Closed said with the name tag. Lastly don't work just one angle work many until you get established. Pull leads from any source you can and it is a lot of pavement (I don't use listing sites even though I get 5 calls a week asking me to). Did the person that did your photo get a business card after they were done? (Go in and give them one and thank them for taking the shot, here is how it came out). When you are talking to the guy at Best Buy and he says "I live over by the museum" follow it with "Oh I know that area, I just showed a client a beautiful cape cod over there, it's the white one on the corner of Elm and Lake.....oh yeah I'm an agent... oh your mom is looking... really...."

Good luck in your new business!

• Real Estate Agent New York (#10301216803)

Associate Broker RE/MAX TITANIUM Logo