Is this too much to ask my realtor to do?

Is this too much to ask my realtor to do?

Woodland Hills, CA · Member since 2016 · 98 posts · 40 votes

Hello, BP! I have realtors in California, Utah, and Arizona and am actively seeking my first property to fix and flip or--even better-- BRRRR. While they are sending me automated MLS listings (except for my CA realtor, who I think maybe forgot to set that up for me because he is crazy busy right now), I am doing the legwork of sorting through the listings and trying to figure out which ones are in need of significant repair. I then try to guess based on images and description what kind of renovation would be required, and then I email the realtor (or his team, in the case of my CA realtor) to ask for comps for the ARV. Once they send me the ARV comps I can run my little formula and see if it is worth offering.

I want to have a good relationship with my realtors, and definitely make sure our time together is valuable for both of us. I hope they will enjoy working with me and want to continue to work with me throughout my REI career. Here are my questions for you realtors and brokers:

1. To make my numbers work, I will usually need to offer lower than asking on these properties, sometimes significantly lower. When clients ask you to submit low-ball offers, are you annoyed? Am I making a faux-pas by requesting that my realtor make low offers that have a fairly good chance of being rejected? I mean, you never know unless you make the offer, but I also don't want my realtor to think I'm just wasting his time. And I don't want to waste his time.

2. Is it a significant amount of work to submit offers? I mean, I would LIKE to be submitting a handful of offers every week for properties in every state, and see who bites. But I hesitate to ask my realtors to do this because I don't know how much work is involved in this. If it's just a matter of a phone call to place a verbal offer, that's one thing. But maybe all offers need to be written out, and maybe it is a lot of time?

3. When I ask for comps for ARV for properties, is that something automated or does that take significant time for the realtor or his team to do? Ideally I'd like to create a funnel where I'm going through the MLS and picking 10 rehab properties each week that look viable, then asking for ARV comps for all those and based on those numbers narrowing to 3-5 properties on which to offer each week in each state.

I appreciate your insights.

2Reply
202 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 95 posts · 76 votes
9y

It takes me anywhere from 10-30 min to do comps for ARV. It takes me anywhere from 30 min-60 min to write up offers. Most realtors want to receive written offers as there are other terms than price that need to be determined. A verbal offer is rarely done, unless you're an agent on HGTV. I don't like when clients are unrealistic and make low-ball offers unless I truly think they can get it for the "low-ball" price. My clients hire me for my professional advice, including how much to start at negotiations. I would not like writing up 5 low-ball offers for a client, unless I had a lot of extra time or an assistant.

See this reply in the discussion

39 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Woodland Hills, CA · Member since 2016 · 98 posts · 40 votes
    9y

    @Shiloh Lundahl Thanks for sharing your process. Your realtor would make $9k on the sale of that property (if you bought at 200k and sold at 300k), but would also make $6k on the purchase. So he is making less by taking a cut of the $20k profit than he would by just doing the commission. I'm surprised that he is willing to do that, and that's why I've hesitated to make a suggestion to my own realtor. But maybe he sees a benefit in this arrangement because I assume you do MANY deals with him, and because if you profit more than $20k then he could potentially earn more through the partnership than he would on the commission. This is very interesting!

    I like how your arrangement allows you the flexibility to ask for comps regularly, and not feel like you are burdening your realtor. (Of course, you know your market well which helps considerably. I hope to become that familiar with my own market.)

    I will probably reach out to connect since I am looking at Arizona. Thanks for the offer!

  • Woodland Hills, CA · Member since 2016 · 98 posts · 40 votes
    9y

    @Tobias Falzone That's an interesting idea. I may shoot that over to my realtor and see if he would be game. Thanks!

  • Woodland Hills, CA · Member since 2016 · 98 posts · 40 votes
    9y

    @Joe Funari Glad to hear your perspective. It is definitely possible that my realtors aren't investor-savvy, and that could be where some of my hesitation is coming from. Thanks!

  • Woodland Hills, CA · Member since 2016 · 98 posts · 40 votes
    9y

    @Jeff Schneider Yes; I'm not seeing the margins I need/want either. I am looking for really fixer projects, and still can't seem to find them. But I'm pretty specific about where I'll look because I don't want to branch into other cities until I have good systems in place, so Mesa and Gilbert, and into Tempe and Chandler, aren't yielding what I had hoped. 

  • Shiloh LundahlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    @Ashley Benning we do many deals together.  So far this year we have purchased about 16 houses together.  Not all have been flips though (11 of them have been buy and hold deals).  So the volume makes it worth the effort to him.

  • Kuba F.Pro Member
    Real Estate Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 694 votes
    9y

    Great comments all around.  I've found that it really does come down to your relationship based on trust, mutual benefit, and shared goals. In general thought you'll find that the higher the volume of repeat transactions, the more willing everyone is to work harder to get a deal done.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    @Ashley Benning, like @Jeff Schneider said the market is crazy here in AZ. The good deals that hit the MLS are gone within a day or two. If you're looking for real fixer projects I'd recommend getting on some of the wholesalers distribution lists here in AZ. These will be your true fixer properties that are already listed well below market value. Some of the more established wholesalers here will include solid comps and ARV with their properties too. I'd still recommend doing your due diligence and double checking them. Another thing to consider is that most of the wholesalers are going to require cash or hard money financing on their deals.

  • Lehigh Valley, PA · Member since 2016 · 144 posts · 91 votes
    9y

    1. More often than not, the best deals never make it to the MLS. You should be highly engaged in finding deals on your own and utilize a realtor to help get it to closing.

    2. A realtors stock in trade is knowledge and time. None that I know will work for free. Either you pay them a fee to put in offers or close on a few a year with the same agent. The second option is best because it builds loyalty and trust.

    3. No one I know successful in buy, hold or flip makes "offers every week for properties in every state, and see who bites." No realtor sees that as a serious investor and would be violating his/her fiduciary responsibility by making offers and managing sales in a state they are not licensed or knowledgeable.  If you have agents working on your behalf in states/areas you do not live at least within a 2-3 hours is problematic at best and at worse financially dangerous. A smart agent will cater to his local pool of investors and "outsiders" are not a priority because when word gets out that the great deals you are getting are being done by an agent for someone not local, the agent will want for work and income in a short period of time. 

    4. Investors that I know with your type of goals, either gets a license and support their own team to build a portfolio or brings enough business and income to one or maybe two agents IN THEIR AREA that bonds them to the investor. 

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Crystal Lake, IL · Member since 2012 · 124 posts · 94 votes
    9y

    I am one of those "investor friendly" agents; I have clients that flip houses. I see a lot of good (and relatable) tips from others here. My thoughts are:

    Definitely start out in your own market. There are so many challenges to investing from afar. And as others have mentioned it's not a smart decision for anyone- agent or buyer to get involved in something like that.

    Issues I have had with my clients are these:

    Sometimes they want to make an offer that will net them $60k on a $200k ARV house. I try to explain to them, there isn't an investor in the world that wouldn't take that deal. Make a more realistic offer. Make the offer that nets you $30k and do it before the other dozen house flippers find the same house and out-bid us. Have a conversation with your agent to discuss what a "good" offer for you is, to see how realistic it is.

    Another thing that drives me crazy is when clients don't make an offer, period. If we have invested the time to view a property, and then create a CMA, why not make the offer? Even if it's a low-ball offer, we have already put in the time, why not try? At worst it's one more "no" we can cross off so that we can get to the "yes".

    Docusign is my best friend. I have a template that allows me spam our offers. Without it I'd be making the clients write their own offers. HUD and Hubzu offers are the quickest. REO's accept the standard contract so they aren't bad either. Fannie and Freddie... I need to stop sending offers to them. Waaayyyy too much work.

    CMA's do take 10-30 min as others have mentioned. A good client would do them on their own. Ask if your agent has access to ListingBook.com. It gives clients MLS-like search abilities that I think is better than Zillow etc.

    The one thing that has not been mentioned in this discussion, what price range are you dealing with? To me, as your agent there is a huge difference in buying houses for $100k and reselling for $200k versus buying for $400k and reselling for $700k. Approx $7,500 gross commissions versus $27,500.

  • Investor · Knightdale, NC · Member since 2014 · 122 posts · 74 votes
    9y
    When I write "low ball" offers for clients or myself I've learned over time to save time by just listing the pertinent terms of the contract in an email rather than filling out and docusigning the whole thing. Like this: Greetings Angie Agent, Here are the terms of my clients' ALL CASH offer for 123 Main St: Sales Price: $74,680 DD: $100 Earnest: $5000 DD period: 7 days Closing: x/x/2017 Please let me know when you've received this, and we can fill out the contract and sign once we've agreed on the terms. My client has asked me to let you know that they won't be asking for any repairs and will buy the home as-is. They can also close faster if that works better for your client. Thank you, Brandon ------- The "terms" and what you call them vary from state to state, of course. But to touch on your original post...I guess we're all wondering your level of experience. If you're just starting out, how did you get the idea to try to tackle 3 states at once? I recommend to any new investor to go after like a 5 mile radius, a part of one town in one state, to get started. Dealing with a rehab more than 20 minutes away from your house can be a huge problem for you. Until you've done several and have systems in place, I would seriously consider focusing your efforts to your own back yard. Good luck!
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 712 votes
    9y

    As a Realtor who sold REOS

    Low Ball offers are a waste of time in a hot market - need to be realistic and right now houses are selling above asking.

    You might have a buyers agent who will argee to low ball offers for one or two offers, but they will not keep doing it as it is costing them money.

    The good agents that work with investors usually charge for their services in the way of a flat fee or additional commission over and above MLS listed commission.

    Speaking as an investor who sells houses - every house we have sold in the past 3 years has sold at full price or over full price, all cash and closing in 5 days or less.  And having sold REOs and bought them in a hot market, they usually sell over list and all cash.

    Low Ball offers through a realtor are appropriate when the home is listed unrealistically high.  But if it is listed correctly, at least in the KC area, it is going to sell quickly and they are not going to consider a low ball offer.

  • Woodland Hills, CA · Member since 2016 · 98 posts · 40 votes
    9y

    Thanks so much for the feedback, everyone. Some great ideas and insights! I'm going to adjust my strategy according to this excellent advice. 

  • Real Estate Agent · New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 66 posts · 26 votes
    9y

    If you know the numbers, it takes me seconds to write up the offer. Comps are another thing -- I am OCD about have perfect spreadsheets so that takes me 20-30 minutes but if you want to keep submitting offers, I could hand them out as fast as you throw them

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.