Skip to content
Contractors

User Stats

Votes
Jeffrey L Evans
Votes |
How difficult is to get a California contractor licence?

Jeffrey L Evans
Posted Oct 30 2018, 11:12

Hello all, 

I am planning to start a construction agency business in the coming months. In California, to work as a contractor, we need to obtain a contractor licence from Contractors State License Board. Based on what I have heard there are two tests we have to pass in order to be qualified as a contractor. One is a law test and another one is a trade test. And, it is hard to pass the exams it seems. I heard it takes years to get the licence in the state of California. I don't know why but, it is better in other states it seems. Anyway, I am thinking of joining a  California contractor school to pass the tests. I would like to know whether anyone here has ever tried to get a contractor licence in the state of California? How was the whole process? Were the exams easy? To others, how long does it take to get a licence in your state? Is it easy to obtain a licence there in your state? 

User Stats

Votes
Manolo D.#3 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Nov 2 2018, 22:09
@Jeffrey L Evans Years, yes, it’s journeyman or better for 4 years; a college degree can account to 2-3 years plus 1 year journeyman or better position in a construction company. I did the exam without studying, just light reading, meaning 30 mins or so. I got done in 45-60 mins out of 3.5 hrs, got the pass result as soon as i hit the end. Do everyone a favor and read on the requirements in the CA contractors license board on How to Become a Contractor before asking the forums. It will be your best interest to read facts versus hearsay. If you’re confused, there’s always this thing named phone that you could call in and ask them.

User Stats

Votes
Karen Margrave
  • Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer
  • Redding, CA & Bend OR
Votes |
  • Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer
  • Redding, CA & Bend OR
ModeratorReplied Nov 2 2018, 22:56

@Jeffrey L Evans  Getting a license in CA is harder than many states. In order to qualify for the test you need to have  to have the experience required. As @Manolo D. mentioned, you can go on the website for the CSLB and look at what the requirements are.  I got my license back in 1993, so requirements may have changed since then. The law portion of the test is much the same as in real estate. The trade part, is exactly that, information you should know about the trade. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jeffrey L Evans
Votes |
Replied Nov 11 2018, 11:00

Thank you @Manolo D. and @Karen Margrave

I am just curious, how is your business going on? What are the changes you noticed in the field compared to 90s?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 19 2020, 08:58

Does sales experience as a 1099 rep selling roofs/coatings/various projects count towards the 4 year in  field experience requirement?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 26 2023, 13:15

I recently passed my c20 exam.  The law exam I passed on very first time, the trade exam was very very difficult.  Anyone tell you different they are lying.  On first exam I scored a 69%.  Talking Heartbreakers.  Taking the test took 3 hours in traffic.  I tooked law first followed by trade.  I chalked the failure to being tired.  So waited 21 days to register when I called psi for date they said they had one very next day.  I took this day which wasn't good idea.  When they handed me results it was a 69% again.  I thought they had mistaking gave me.my first test results, but wasn't the case.   2 failures signed up again to take.3.rd.te S soon as I was allowed.  Happy to say 3rd time was a charm.  The.problem I had was the test consist of every aspect of.hvac.  living I desert ac units is what we primarily do so when hit with so much on heating wasn't prepared

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Jan 7 2024, 17:31

I know this topic is 5 years old, but it got bumped it seems. @Kenneth Chavez is correct.... the Cali test is no joke. When I took the GC test, the pass rate was only 12%...it was technically easier to pass the Bar! :-)

The trade exam contained a set of plans and an architectural scale, the law exam was just memorizing stuff.

User Stats

Votes
Alan F.
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • California
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • California
Replied Jan 13 2024, 14:48
Quote from @Kenneth Chavez:

I recently passed my c20 exam.  The law exam I passed on very first time, the trade exam was very very difficult.  Anyone tell you different they are lying.  On first exam I scored a 69%.  Talking Heartbreakers.  Taking the test took 3 hours in traffic.  I tooked law first followed by trade.  I chalked the failure to being tired.  So waited 21 days to register when I called psi for date they said they had one very next day.  I took this day which wasn't good idea.  When they handed me results it was a 69% again.  I thought they had mistaking gave me.my first test results, but wasn't the case.   2 failures signed up again to take.3.rd.te S soon as I was allowed.  Happy to say 3rd time was a charm.  The.problem I had was the test consist of every aspect of.hvac.  living I desert ac units is what we primarily do so when hit with so much on heating wasn't prepared

Yep, CA is much harder than any other state. For a C-10 4yrs documented w2 employment for only another C-10 plus JATC approved school.  Then pass Journeyman test. 4 more years documented w2 for C-10 & school then apply for license. Post bond & pass both tests. Starting in 2025 workers comp too even with no employees.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Jan 13 2024, 15:10
Quote from @Alan F.:
Yep, CA is much harder than any other state. For a C-10 4yrs documented w2 employment for only another C-10 plus JATC approved school.  Then pass Journeyman test. 4 more years documented w2 for C-10 & school then apply for license. Post bond & pass both tests. Starting in 2025 workers comp too even with no employees.

Although I am generally anti-Govt, this is one of the few areas where I think they got it right. Especially when you read all the horror stories from elsewhere.

Really? Workers Comp with not even an employee? What is the point of that?

User Stats

Votes
Alan F.
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • California
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • California
Replied Jan 13 2024, 15:17
Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
Quote from @Alan F.:

Although I am generally anti-Govt, this is one of the few areas where I think they got it right. Especially when you read all the horror stories from elsewhere.

Really? Workers Comp with not even an employee? What is the point of that?

Lol you already know, revenue! Imagine filing a claim on yourself lol.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 24 2024, 09:41
Quote from @Alan F.:

Yep, CA is much harder than any other state. For a C-10 4yrs documented w2 employment for only another C-10 plus JATC approved school.  Then pass Journeyman test. 4 more years documented w2 for C-10 & school then apply for license. Post bond & pass both tests. Starting in 2025 workers comp too even with no employee

I'm a licensed general contractor in California I passed my law and my trade the first time around.  There were a few people around me who did not pass.   And starting next year all contractors will have to have workman's comp regardless of employees as of right now it's only a c-39 roofing contractor who has that requirement.  But they did raise all of our bonds to $25,000 as of the first of this year so, I guess we're all going to be the same.

workman's comp also helps and protects your subcontractors financially as well.  

User Stats

Votes
Alan F.
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • California
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • California
Replied Jan 24 2024, 09:47
Quote from @Jonathan Furtado:
Quote from @Alan F.:

Yep, CA is much harder than any other state. For a C-10 4yrs documented w2 employment for only another C-10 plus JATC approved school.  Then pass Journeyman test. 4 more years documented w2 for C-10 & school then apply for license. Post bond & pass both tests. Starting in 2025 workers comp too even with no employee

I'm a licensed general contractor in California I passed my law and my trade the first time around.  There were a few people around me who did not pass.   And starting next year all contractors will have to have workman's comp regardless of employees as of right now it's only a c-39 roofing contractor who has that requirement.  But they did raise all of our bonds to $25,000 as of the first of this year so, I guess we're all going to be the same.

workman's comp also helps and protects your subcontractors financially as well.  

Absolutely, but if you don't use subcontractors or have any w2 employees it adds overhead.

Much respect to B-1's still operating in CA!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 13 2024, 15:47
@Bruce Woodruff Did you take the exam recently? My husband was just informed he can take the test. We want to know what to expect and the best way to prepare. 

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Mar 13 2024, 16:22
Quote from @Krystal Giron:
@Bruce Woodruff Did you take the exam recently? My husband was just informed he can take the test. We want to know what to expect and the best way to prepare. 

Ah, no.....I've been licensed since 1983. The B1 test is pretty rough, it used to be that the pass rate was 12%. Less than the State Bar. 

You'll need to read a set of plans and do pretty decent math. If he has been in the trades for a couple decades he'll be fine I think...those Contr. schools are pretty good too, especially for the Law part of the exam.....