Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Shane Wilkins
Votes |
buying from "for sale by owner"

Shane Wilkins
Posted Jul 1 2022, 13:16

I am looking at a four-plex and its for sale by owner. They don't want to use a real estate agent to save some money.

If I don't have a real estate agent, how do I make an official offer? How do I get it under contract?  I didnt see any documents in the tools section.

If I do have a real estate agent do I have to pay him out of pocket since (I believe) that his commission wouldn't be paid for by the sellers.

Thanks.

Shane

User Stats

Votes
Randall Alan
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lakeland, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lakeland, FL
Replied Jul 1 2022, 16:58
Quote from @Shane Wilkins:

I am looking at a four-plex and its for sale by owner. They don't want to use a real estate agent to save some money.

If I don't have a real estate agent, how do I make an official offer? How do I get it under contract?  I didnt see any documents in the tools section.

If I do have a real estate agent do I have to pay him out of pocket since (I believe) that his commission wouldn't be paid for by the sellers.

Thanks.

Shane

We buy properties all the time without a real estate agent. They aren’t required. The important “person” is the title company. You should be able to find a contract online by just googling real estate contract and your state. But if not, I would just reach out to the title company and ask them, I’m sure they have one. We simply both fill out the contract and sign it and give it to the title company. They then do everything else. Easy Peezy  If you do have a real estate agent, they would just get listed on the contract and then yes they would be cut into the deal with a percentage paid by the seller.  They would of course then fill out the contract for you.  Very easy to do yourself. 

Randy 

User Stats

Votes
Kathleen McDowell
  • Realtor
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Jul 1 2022, 18:19

Thanks.

Shane

Hi Shane. You can find a contract for your state online and use that. As Randall mentioned, the key is the title company (and certain states require a lawyer, so be sure to check your state laws. Hiring a Realtor to represent you is an excellent idea, as they will act as your fiduciary. Recommend finding one that specializes in small multi-family. Yes, you'd need to sign a buyer broker agreement with them that would state what their commission would be and that you would cover that (given seller is not).

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Shane Wilkins
Votes |
Replied Jul 2 2022, 08:49
Quote from @Randall Alan:

Thanks.

Shane

We buy properties all the time without a real estate agent. They aren’t required. The important “person” is the title company. You should be able to find a contract online by just googling real estate contract and your state. But if not, I would just reach out to the title company and ask them, I’m sure they have one. We simply both fill out the contract and sign it and give it to the title company. They then do everything else. Easy Peezy  If you do have a real estate agent, they would just get listed on the contract and then yes they would be cut into the deal with a percentage paid by the seller.  They would of course then fill out the contract for you.  Very easy to do yourself. 

Randy 

Thank you

Shane

User Stats

Votes
Shane Wilkins
Votes |
Replied Jul 2 2022, 08:49
Quote from @Kathleen McDowell:

Thanks.

Shane

Hi Shane. You can find a contract for your state online and use that. As Randall mentioned, the key is the title company (and certain states require a lawyer, so be sure to check your state laws. Hiring a Realtor to represent you is an excellent idea, as they will act as your fiduciary. Recommend finding one that specializes in small multi-family. Yes, you'd need to sign a buyer broker agreement with them that would state what their commission would be and that you would cover that (given seller is not).

Thank you,

Shane