ORANGE COUNTY, CA - What are you doing?

15 Replies

As we're closing out another year, I wanted to ask all of you in Orange County, CA how this past year has gone, what deals have you done, and what do you have planned for the coming months?

This is for everyone, though here's a list of the names I pulled from past O.C. Meetup posts. I've seen a lot of new BP members from Orange County on lately, so hopefully you have your keyword alerts set and will weigh in too! Also, remember the meetup this month! 

@Andy Beattie ,@Alex Bejenaru @Ryan Byrne @Tony Chan @Steve Frost @Lauren Hardy,

@Joe Homs@Christopher Hunter @CK Hwang

@Clint Kreider @Matt Kvalheim @Rick Lin @Amber Malfavon @Jonathan McNeil

@Paul Ortiz @Vipul Shah @Jonathan Wilks @Nick Wing @Tyler Kimmel @Kevin Dugan

@Tavi Perttula @William Larsen @Jack Medford

2014 will be a short REI year for me considering I just started about a month ago. So far I have done the most reading I have ever done in my life. I have watched countless videos and I have prepared myself as best as I can for my first deal. What I want by the end of January is to have done my first deal. Right now I am analyzing as many properties as possible and trying to make contact with pre-foreclosure owners as possible. I am going to work my *** off and won't stop until I get a deal done. So that's me, whos next?

Originally posted by @Karen Margrave :

As we're closing out another year, I wanted to ask all of you in Orange County, CA how this past year has gone, what deals have you done, and what do you have planned for the coming months?  Also, feel free to list any haves or wants here too. 

This is for everyone, though here's a list of the names I pulled from past O.C. Meetup posts. I've seen a lot of new BP members from Orange County on lately, so hopefully you have your keyword alerts set and will weigh in too! Also, remember the meetup this month! 

@Andy Beattie ,@Alex Bejenaru @Ryan Byrne @Tony Chan @Steve Frost @Lauren Hardy,

@Joe Homs@Christopher Hunter @CK Hwang

@Clint Kreider @Matt Kvalheim @Rick Lin @Amber Malfavon @Jonathan McNeil

@Paul Ortiz @Vipul Shah @Jonathan Wilks @Nick Wing @Tyler Kimmel @Kevin Dugan

@Tavi Perttula @William Larsen @Jack Medford

Please add me on this list Karen, talk soon!

@Albert Bui  will do. I just grabbed these off an old post I did for the meetup. I know we have several others that have come to the meetups too that I don't have on here. Speaking of which, there's a meetup on the 17th! Hope to see everyone there! I'm sure @Clint Kreider  will be posting in Events and Happenings if he hasn't already. 

As for what we are doing, we are still working on the house in San Clemente, that I recently listed for $1,799,000. It's really coming along, and I'd like to get everyone by there when it's a little further along. We've already shown it to some potential buyers, but don't expect to actually tie anyone down until it's a little further along. The people looking are families, and also a few that do vacation rentals. 

We've submitted for our grading permit, and getting ready to submit for building permits in the next few weeks on a spec house in Capistrano Beach on Paseo Pinzon. 

We will also be starting 2 condos in San Clemente. (they'll be great for Vacation Rental properties) That deal has a BP member in on it with us. It is a little unusual. We found the land and were planning on buying it to develop, having already negotiated the price etc. A BP member approached us wanting in on a deal in Orange County, as he was in a 1031. After all was said and done, he decided to use his IRA to purchase the land give us the option to buy it back giving him a profit. He's basically our land bank, allowing us to get the land tied up, and him a good ROI for holding it. A win/win for us both!

Then, we'll be lining up land for future deals. 

i would like to join the meetup group. Would someone share the link or maybe add me into the list. Appreciate it and looking forward to network with each one of you. Thanks

@Karen Margrave   glad to see you are having a great year.

As for me I am just finishing up a fix and flip that can be found here: http://goo.gl/4gs08z (Case sensitive) I purchased this home via the MLS (so it can be done, but rare). I would also like to thank @Christopher Hunter who assisted in the rehab.

I just put another property into escrow (Mission Viejo) a couple of weeks ago.  This was acquired by door knocking from the foreclosure radar list.  I plan on fixing this one for the son and his family.

I am also happy that I have meet with several BP members one to one.  I have assisted the following with their plans for RE investing and my experience.  I wish you all well and please stay in touch.  Anyone else wishing to meet with me all it takes is a cup of coffee at Starbucks in Mission Viejo. 

@Clint Kreider

@Ryan Byrne

@Christopher Hunter

@Christian Belleque  

@Kyla Ross 

@Kevin Shay 

As for wants:  I am looking (for a fix and flip client) someone who would like to invest money to purchase more homes at the court house steps in Orange County.  If there is someone out there that knows anything about crowd-funding please contact me.  If you have someone with deep pockets let me know as well.

I hope everyone has a happy holiday and I will see you at the next OC meet-up on December 17th in Lake Forest.

@John Hart  or others interested!  Regarding the meetup:

ORANGE COUNTY MEETUP

• DECEMBER 17 (always the 3rd Wednesday of the month)
  • 7 p.m.
  • Round Table Pizza (corner of Lake Forest Dr. and Lambert, Lake Forest, CA) 
  • Free (the only cost is for your food and beverage) 
  • Low key, casual atmosphere

@Clint Kreider  heads it up, I'm sure there will be a post for that on Events and Happenings, so please post any questions about meetup there. 

Thanks Joe for meeting with me, and I have my calendar set to be in Lake Forest on the 17th.

Sorry, I forgot to mention, I am dialing and driving for dollars now and diving into all of the resources. Pushing to close something in Q1 2015

I picked up my second investment property (SFR in Anaheim), got it fixed it up and rented it out. Later in the year I passed my broker's exam so I will have a license soon. I left my "day" job so I will be using the next few weeks to determine what aspect of RE I will be focusing on for 2015. I re-joined my local REI club and will attend the upcoming BP meetups. Should a become a residential agent? Commercial agent? Stay primarily as an investor? I'm talking with various people (online and offline) and reading to gather information and make an informed decision. Good luck, everyone!

I experienced a lot of transition this year. For the past few years I worked for a company that flips 4-8 properties per month in L.A. Now, I am focusing on residential and multifamily sales in Orange County. I spent much of the year selling and studying Orange County multifamily and intend to work more with investors focusing on this market.

I am also looking forward to our OC meetups in 2015. It is exciting to see new people networking every month. We have over 50 people who have either attended or shown interest in attending. We have discussed the possibility of completing a flip as a group in 2015 for the sake of both education and profit.

Karen any thoughts on HB condos for Vrbos? I know they were looking into changing the ordinance from 30 days min. IDK what progress has been made if any. thanks

@Karen Margrave

It so exciting to read about your projects.  I'm in Los Angeles but would be keen to be included on your projects and open house as well as all the networking of the OC group.

@Jason Mak  Thanks. I will keep you posted. You might want to upgrade on BP so that you can have more colleagues, messages, etc., it's well worth the investment! You can also "Monitor" any post, so if you'd like to follow along on my San Clemente Spec you can. Maybe you can make it to the Orange County Meetup next week, in Lake Forest. 

Let me know if there's anything I can help you with. 

@Matt R.  I don't know the details on the vacation rentals in Huntington Beach, but I'd better get up to speed on them in San Clemente and south County, as the house we are currently building, as well as the condos we have planned will both be interesting for those looking for properties for Vacation Rentals.

What's goin on friends!  We only did a couple deals in OC this year, 1 anaheim flip, 2 in Dana Point and 1 in San Clemente.  We made money on 3 of 4.  We have 1 condo in Mission Viejo we're currently rehabbing and should be listed before the end of the year.  I also am in negotiations on a duplex in Costa Mesa, but it's kinda falling apart as we speak (or as I type?)

I've been learning a lot about the probate process and hope to do some business in that niche in 2015

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you