How to choose a thorough inspector?

9 Replies

Good morning/afternoon BP,

I am in the process of buying my first SFR remotely to hopefully start building my buy and hold portfolio. The property is in SE Michigan, but not Detroit. I currently live in California but grew up in Michigan so I have some family helping out.

Being across the country, I can't properly vet a property inspector, how would you choose one? Does anyone in the area have a solid inspector they could recommend? Thanks

Bruce

I would get a recommendation here or from your realtor. 

Honestly I go with who my realtor recommends. It has served me well and I find they have skin in the game because they are held accountable by the realtor. If a bad job is done than they won't be used again etc. on the other hand I use a well known very busy realtor!

thanks @Peter MacKercher  , I'm hoping I get some local investors to chime in

@Elizabeth Colegrove that's a good point. My realtor gave me three with websites but obviously they will all say they are the best. I was exposed to bad inspectors when I bought my current primary residence. It was my first real estate purchase and used my realtors recommendation. I didn't know what to expect because I had nothing to compare it to and since the house was relatively new we haven't had too many issues. Although, I've heard about some other inspectors from friends and theirs seem much more thorough with their inspections. So I just wanted to even more critical since I won't be there during the inspection this time around.

@Bruce Scannell , I have a home inspector I've used on multiple properties in metro Detroit.  Other local investors and agents use him as well.  He's done over 6000 inspections.  Bonus -- he's also an investor so he has an investor mindset. 

I don't want to post his contact info online due to spam issues but if you're still looking for an inspector, send me a message and I'll give you his info.

@Bruce Scannell

I have used Matt Bezanson from Sherlock Homes Inspection and was very pleased with his work. He is a frequent speaker at local REIA meetings.

Gary

Tom N. does he cover certain locations or most of SE Michigan? 

Get one thats not an investor, They like the property they buy it out from under you.. Its happened to me before by a realtor.

@Bruce Scannell

I don't know exactly what areas he works in. I believe he's based somewhere in Oakland county.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here