• Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
Three firsts for me this week

Michael Hayworth
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Posted May 23 2015, 09:21

Been doing this for several years, but I signed contracts on two new houses this week that represent three firsts for me.

House 1 - tenant-occupied 4/2/2. My first purchase from a wholesaler, and my first purchase of a tenant-occupied house. I've been approached by a lot of wholesalers with dubious deals. I've watched this particular one for several months now, and his ARVs seem realistic (even  low, in some cases) and repair costs seem in the right ballpark. He was doing a group tour and on-site auction of a house in a school district I regularly buy in. Went just intending to observe, but ended up pulling the trigger. I'll be figuring out the process of absorbing an existing tenant over the next week or two.

House 2 - My first vacation rental! It's 1.5 blocks from Cowboys Stadium. I've been looking for years to get something in this area. Saturday, as I was walking 10 blocks to the stadium for a concert from the discounted $40 parking spots, I pulled up Realtor.com, saw that one had popped up, and bought it the next day. It was priced a little high for a basic 900 sf 2/1/1 in that are, but as a vacation rental, the cash flow should be excellent. I'm very excited about this one.

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Replied May 23 2015, 09:28

@Michael Hayworth

as a vacation rental do think people would rent that for the cowboy games... in what context would a home in that location be a vacation rental.. I am in Oregon does not sound like a place to go vacation   LOL... insider knowledge right ?

User Stats

Votes
Rhondalette W.
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Dallas, TX
Replied May 23 2015, 10:45

@Michael Hayworth and @Jay Hinrichs

Its nice to have a vacation rental. I would imagine you would have The Cowboys Stadium, 6 Flags and Hurricane Harbor in the Summer? Will the place rent in the winter too?

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Baldwin
  • Investor
  • Shelbyville, Kentucky
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Shelbyville, Kentucky
Replied May 23 2015, 10:57

Micheal : I am just not getting the sense of that being a GOOD deal . I guess I would have to ask during a Cowboys Home Game How many per year ? along with how many other week-ends per year is the stadium utilized ? 

D uring these type events in the Dallas / Ft Worth Metro area what is the Hotel / Motel capacity . Almost impossible to get a room etc ? Most of the Coporate companies will have already rented out a Penthouse . The need as I see it is maybe for 6-8 hours per event .

If I was a Cowboys fan and just HAD to be at the home games my first inclination would be to call a hotel . How are you going to Market the Rental ?

User Stats

Votes
Michael Hayworth
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied May 23 2015, 12:05

Guys, don't sweat the vacation rental deal for me.  :) My total expenses with mortgage, insurance, property tax, repair reserve, and the 10% reserve I put in for management, even though my staff manages my properties, will be around $800/mo. 

The Cowboys draw from a multi-state area. People come in from all over and need a place to stay. The whole appeal of a vacation rental is having a house, with a patio, backyard for grilling, parties, etc. And there's no other vacation rental on AirBnB or VRBO that is a 5-minute walk from the stadium.

Plus, Jerryworld pulls in top college games, which draw fans from all those schools, and the biggest concerts in the region, which draw people from hours away (at the Kenny Chesney concert last week, we were hanging out with a group of 18 people who had driven 8 hours to be there) . I'm hoping to get the place renovated before the Taylor Swift concert in a couple of months. Then there's the Texas Rangers (I can't imaging driving hours to watch bad baseball, but some people do) and Six Flags over Texas, both within a  mile. 

There are 15-20 events a year that will generate in 2-3 nights what a normal month's rent would be for this place as a single family rental. plus lower rents over the summers just for families coming to Six Flags when there's no other events. If there's any event where it's NOT rented for some reason, I'll send a couple employees over there to park cars in the yard at $50 a pop.

(Not to mention, the the next time we get the Superbowl, it'll rent for ridiculous rates for a single week.)

I'm very hardnosed about not accepting unrealistic income assumptions on a business, but I'm thoroughly happy with all the numbers on this house.

User Stats

Votes
Max T.
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied May 23 2015, 14:27

I'm surprised nobody's saying how they really feel about the Cowboys. I'll take my cue and end here.

User Stats

Votes
Mindy Jensen
  • BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host
  • Longmont, CO
Votes |
  • BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host
  • Longmont, CO
Replied May 23 2015, 15:24

@Michael Hayworth Congratulations on the three firsts! I think the Cowboys rental house is an awesome purchase. Someday they will be good again...

Since it is your first vacation rental, I will give you some unsolicited advice. The name of the game for vacation rentals is repeat customers. Make your place the best on the market by offering small, inexpensive extras, like instant oatmeal packets for breakfast, granola bars and bottled water for side trips. You can pick this up at Costco for almost nothing, but it means a lot to the people who are renting your place, and they will come back to you when they need another place to stay. Just make sure everything is individually wrapped.

Furnish the kitchen with dishwasher-safe everything. Have a set of children-sized dishes and utensils. Provide spices and basic meal-prep items, like vegetable oil so people don't have to go out and buy things to make pancakes in the morning. 

User Stats

Votes
John Thedford#5 Wholesaling Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Naples, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Naples, FL
Replied May 23 2015, 16:24
Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

@Michael Hayworth

as a vacation rental do think people would rent that for the cowboy games... in what context would a home in that location be a vacation rental.. I am in Oregon does not sound like a place to go vacation   LOL... insider knowledge right ?

Only when they get a new QB and the Cowboys actually win a Super Bowl:)

User Stats

Votes
Michael Hayworth
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied May 23 2015, 22:45

@Max T., I'll rent to fans of other teams, too. 

There is, however, a $200/night surcharge for Eagles fans.

User Stats

Votes
Max T.
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied May 24 2015, 03:28

you da man @Michael Hayworth! I think your purchase will be a good deal for you. Best of luck. 

User Stats

Votes
Neal Collins
  • Developer
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Portland, OR
Replied May 24 2015, 08:54

Congratulations on the firsts! I think the vacation rental is a great idea. You've got an immediate attraction close to the property that could bring in lots of visitors. It's even nicer that this falls over football season because normally those are not peak hotel occupancy times anyway. Just pray that occupancy isn't tied to the Cowboy's performance...

What's parking like on game days? Could you reserve some spots at the property and charge for them? Sell a season pass for parking or something.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Lenahan
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied May 26 2015, 20:46

Awesome week Michael!  You'll have to share a little more with us during next month's Fort Worth meetup!  I'm curious to hear how the Cowboy stadium rental goes long term...keep us up to date!

User Stats

Votes
Dmitri L.
  • Investor
  • DFW, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • DFW, TX
Replied May 26 2015, 20:55

@Michael Hayworth

Please post up about your experience with the short term rental, would be quite interested to hear how this strategy works out for you.

It looks like vacation rentals in the area run approx 40% occupancy rates - but that still works out to 50-60% more gross income compared to a traditional long-term rental. I guess, have to weight against the extra investment in furniture and time, but should be well worth it.

-Dmitri

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Tyler H.
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied May 27 2015, 12:51

+1 for the Surcharge for rentals to Eagle Fans!

User Stats

Votes
Shawn Thom
  • Investor
  • McKinney, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • McKinney, TX
Replied May 27 2015, 13:00

What kind of neighborhood is the vacation rental in?  I know there are some lower end houses close.  I have 2 off of 360 & Abrams area.