Votes |
What was awesome for me on 4/20...

Chad Hurin
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Posted May 25 2015, 12:05

My First Deal!

My first REI deal closed on 4/20. My first deal was seller financed w/ 30 year term, 4.5 apr, and only 10% down. My first deal was for, not 1, but 3 single family homes. No bank! No Agents. I have to say I'm pretty excited.

My wife and I have been talking for years now that we wanted to get into REI. My wife is deployed and to keep me busy I started getting a bit more serious on learning more about investing in RE. Around February after do a ton of ready on BP, books, and YouTube videos, I mixed researching with searching for my first deal. I was mainly searching the popular sites like Zillo, Trulia, and CL for the different "rules" like 50% rule, 2% (actually more like 1% in my area) rule, using the BP calculators, etc. I knew I wanted to start out with buy-n-hold rentals with little to no fixing up. After about a month of searching, researching, and showings I found a SFH that meet my minimums and all the rules. I decided to view the property. This guy was an investor looking to sell this rental in the RDU area of NC. I viewed the home and It was a small 1000sqft 3/1 for ~$80k. I asked why he was selling and he said he does all the property management himself and wanted to cut down of his rentals and live off the sale and cashflow from the remaining.

I drove home excited because I felt this was it and I was going to make him an offer that night. I did a little research and used my handy calculators but Knowing he had several homes in the area I viewed the others he owned and all very similar to the one I just viewed. His ad stated he would consider seller financing so I sent first offer. Back and forth we negotiated on purchase price and terms. I then thought I’d make an offer to purchase two more houses he owned in the same neighborhood with lower purchase price per home and sweeter terms; also had tenants in place. He was in and we set up some time for me to view the others. More negotiation we finally came to terms.

4/20 - Also my wife birthday; I got her what I hope to be the start of our financial freedom. A month down- so far so good. I feel like we are off to a great start! As Dave Ramsey would say; Gazelle intense. Speaking of Gazelle Intense, we just closed on our second deal 5/22. A duplex! Unfortunately but not too bad… we bank financed the duplex 25% down still 4.5 APR. I'll be writing more about the duplex later.

From 5 months ago to now with 5 units... I feel we are well on our way!

TL;DR

Bought 3 SFH on a Seller financed deal with great terms last month near Raleigh, NC. Bought 1 duplex, conventional bank loan, still great terms, last week.

User Stats

Votes
Alexander A.
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied May 25 2015, 12:13

That is awesome man! I wish i could find seller financed deals like that.  You got lucky! Its not easy to find something like that.  Congrats!!  I hear Raleigh is a really good market too!

Keep building!!  Youre on the right track.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Syrios
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
ModeratorReplied May 25 2015, 12:28

Congrats Chad! It sounds like your 4/20 was a lot more productive than many other people. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Mitchell L.
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Dania, FL
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Dania, FL
Replied May 25 2015, 13:28

Awesome and big congrats! Great way to get started in the REI world.

Good Luck!

User Stats

Votes
John Yanko
  • Investor
  • Clarendon Hills, IL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Clarendon Hills, IL
Replied May 25 2015, 18:49
Originally posted by @Andrew Syrios:

Congrats Chad! It sounds like your 4/20 was a lot more productive than many other people. 

+1

User Stats

Votes
John Yanko
  • Investor
  • Clarendon Hills, IL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Clarendon Hills, IL
Replied May 25 2015, 18:52

Congrats! I hope to have a similar story soon!

User Stats

Votes
Derek B.
  • Greensboro, NC
Votes |
  • Greensboro, NC
Replied May 26 2015, 05:29

@Chad Hurin congrats

User Stats

Votes
Becky Davis
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied May 26 2015, 07:12

Congratulations! Raleigh's really great now if you can find a deal :)
We're currently looking for our next one in the same area.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Fallis
  • Wholesaler
  • Castle Rock, CO
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Castle Rock, CO
Replied May 26 2015, 12:13

That's Awesome!  Good Job!

User Stats

Votes
Bryce Jackson Zachary
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Houston, TX
Replied May 26 2015, 20:52

Nice work Chad! 

User Stats

Votes
Dawn Anastasi
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied May 26 2015, 20:55

Congrats!

User Stats

Votes
Ashian Jackson
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Denver, CO
Replied May 26 2015, 21:49

Congratulations! 

User Stats

Votes
Marcus Moore
  • Lincoln, NE
Votes |
  • Lincoln, NE
Replied May 26 2015, 21:56

Thats a great story! i just joined im excited to learn and start selling soon! keep it up!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.