Tax appraisal significance?

5 Replies

How significant is the tax appraisal of a property? I'm looking to flip a property and the comps for the area are showing properties of this type are selling for 55-65k but the tax appraisal on the property is 6700. How significant is this? Should I cross this property out as a flip? I'd be purchasing for 20k.

None what so ever. The tax appraisal is simply a value the tax assessor put on the house to determine how much property taxes will be. This value is virtually always less than actual value of the hoe, sometimes by quite a lot. 

@Skylar Dejesus

I work in commercial property tax valuing retail centers, office towers, and million square foot industrial buildings.

The assessed value of the property has ZERO to do with what it is actually worth. The market knows, the assessor rarely does. Weigh all of your research on the market and where sales point. Looking up an assessed value for anything other than a property tax appeal is moot.

Typically property tax appraisals are a function of a municipality's base tax for revenue generation and are not significant to market value. The only time you would want to worry about property taxes is when they are very high in comparison to your buying point and holding costs and also if they will pose a hindrance to a potential buyer of one of your properties. Actually the lower your property tax the better. Again is it is not a figure you use to determine market price of value. 

I'm my area of TX, assessed value and market value are usually fairly close, even on older properties. So for me, assessed value is at least a start. Your mileage may vary.

Thank you guys so much for your insightful responses I truly appreciate it!!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.