Votes
Karolyn Lee
  • Xiamen, Fujian
Votes |
Buying a home in Eastern Europe

Karolyn Lee
  • Xiamen, Fujian
Posted Oct 24 2016, 14:54

I am thinking of buying and investing in a residential type house that has at least 2 miles of nature (no other neighbors or even stores) surrounding it, that is about 30minutes to 1 hour drive to an interesting city that has cafes, stores, and cultural events, culture, and all that cities have to offer. I've been looking at Bulgaria, near Sophia, Czech Republic, Hugary, etc. The problem is (1) that I only want to pay up to 30,000 US dollars all cash and (2) also want to find people (realtors) in different Eastern European countries that speak English and that I can trust.

Could anyone help with that?

Also, it would be nice to have access to a good expat community as well as making friends with the locals and I would like it to be airbnb-able should I want to travel.

Finally, I heard that Portugal, although not E. Europe offers instant citizenship to those who buy property in that country. I guess ideally I would like a country that offers long term foreign residents healthcare into their system also.

I heard of a woman who bought a stone house surrounded by lots of land in Estonia for about 17K and it went up to over 30K within 2 years.

The reason I need solitude is for personal reasons, and because I will work remotely, great internet access is essential.

Thanks,

Karolyn

User Stats

Votes
George P.
  • Property Manager
  • Livonia, MI
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Livonia, MI
Replied Oct 24 2016, 23:28

you have alot of needs and requirements. not a bad thing, but makes it difficult. 

first, it's Sofia, not Sophia (the name)

second, those countries are 2nd world countries and it's always risky and speculative to buy there, i dont care who you are. the craziness and inflation in the late 90's and early 2000 is long gone and the prices have leveled off.

I'd never buy there for "investing", i'd buy to live only hoping that one day it would appreciate. 

Those countries are not set up well for single family house type. those countries, like china, are set up nicely if you are in LARGE apartment buildings with their amenities - toilet, cable, internet, water. for $30k in the outskirts it will might not have those things.

i am originally from EU and still have family there. there's a reason everyone is leaving those countries, not going there.

User Stats

Votes
Karolyn Lee
  • Xiamen, Fujian
Votes |
  • Xiamen, Fujian
Replied Oct 25 2016, 02:15

Thank you for your reply. I actually don't mind if the prices don't go up, and I just want some solitude so maybe even a 1 mile circumference of nature would be alright.

But if anyone could give me information to trusted contacts in various countries, and perhaps their experience of those countries, I would really appreciate it. I just want to ask realtors of various countries questions and other things. Thanks!

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Pawel Zolkos
  • Kraków, Lesser Poland
Votes |
  • Kraków, Lesser Poland
Replied Oct 25 2016, 04:33

Hello, I am from Poland. Have you considered to invest in my country ? Lost of foreigners {English, German, Russian] decided to buy properties in Krakow and in other major cities. There are still many opportunities to invest in real estate, not only in the city but also far from it. The question is about the maintenance of the house during the whole year. Are you thinking about living there or just to buy only and rent. ? The only think I am afraid that 30K could be not enough to buy a house.. perhaps apartment but not the house unless it is very old and need some work.

Are you employed or you have your own business ? Perhaps there are areas of business we could work together. I am very interested to explore opportunities.   

Thanks,

Pawel

User Stats

Votes
Karolyn Lee
  • Xiamen, Fujian
Votes |
  • Xiamen, Fujian
Replied Oct 28 2016, 00:42

Thank you Pavel!

If there are any other opinions/advice out there from other people, I would like to hear about that too!

User Stats

Votes
Bracha Pushkin
  • Redford, MI - Michigan
Votes |
  • Redford, MI - Michigan
Replied Jan 18 2017, 08:19

Hi @Pawel Zolkos

If you wouldn't mind sharing your thoughts about investing in Poland, which seems to be a slightly undeveloped market, compared to say the US, that would be great! Many of us investors are looking for interesting opportunities and many times investments in slightly undeveloped markets, can be very lucrative. What are the challenges & opportunities that you have seen and what types of future do you foresee for this market?