Selling my home, buyer's agent received "anonymous tip"

7 Replies

I'm in the process of selling my home, roughly 2 weeks from closing on the sale, and the buyer's agent received an "anonymous tip" about an issue my realtor was supposed to have disclosed to the buyer (I assume they did). Long story short, the buyer's agent contacted the county first, and now I have to deal with the county before proceeding with the sale. That however, is not my question. 

My question: is it possible for someone (e.g. another realtor) outside the transacting parties (ie buyer, seller & their representatives) to look up the buyer and/or the buyer's agent? If so, how, and what type of database/system (MLS or otherwise) does this person need access to?

i am not an agent, but i dont believe so. until the sale is final, how would they know who the individual is working with?

it should be all over the signed documents though.

Took me all of 3 minutes to look up who the buyers agent is buying your house.

Could just as easily have been one of your neighbors though telling the agent when he was at the property. Neighbors offer all kinds of good information.

Russell Brazil, Real Estate Agent in Maryland (#648402), Virginia (#0225219736), District of Columbia (#SP98375353) and Massachusetts (#9​0​5​2​3​4​6)

@Jonathan Gobbo , @Russell Brazil Thanks! I suspected as much, and this at least gives me hope that the buyer isn't actively trying to force us to lower our asking price. As for our neighbors, I'm beginning to wish they told me about the potential issue before I bought the house. We'll see what happens I guess. Live and learn!

I've had that happen to me where "helpful" neighbors come over while I'm showing a house with all sorts of negative comments. Some accurate and some BS where they might be trying to buy the property. But, I've also gone and knocked on a neighbors door to get info on REO properties with no disclosures.

know it all neighbor is a on going problem over the decades.. 

I would head it off.. I would tell my buyer...

" hey the neighbor wants this property and will probably come out and try to dissuade you from buying it.. and I KNOW your not the kind of folks that would let someone do that to you right ?"

Answer from my buyer 1000% of the time.. your darn right I am that type..  it worked pretty well.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.