Account Closed
  • Roslyn, NY
Votes |
Are modern style houses better?

Account Closed
  • Roslyn, NY
Posted Oct 29 2016, 14:34

Hey guys,

I'm about to make my first purchase for a property to live in and settle in. I plan to do more REI in the future but this is a home I WANT TO MAKE NICE. So I've always been in love with modern style houses (square shaped and boxy looking kind of). I've always wondered why I barely see any of them around. In my opinion they look so beautiful and professional. I'm also a tech guy so i'm into futuristic concepts. Maybe thats why. Is it more expensive for the materials? Harder to maintain? Expensive to find someone to design?

These are some examples:

http://homedesignlover.com/architecture/latest-modern-house-designs/

User Stats

Votes
Rosston Smith
  • Investor
  • Warner Robins, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Warner Robins, GA
Replied Oct 29 2016, 15:41

The modern style would definitely keep it current longer.

Just be wary of improving too far over that you could sell it for.

User Stats

Votes
Anthony Gayden
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Omaha, NE
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Omaha, NE
Replied Oct 29 2016, 15:48

@Account Closed

Personally I am not a fan, but in some parts of the country it is very popular. I believe there are huge developments in this style in California.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Patsy Waldron
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Oct 29 2016, 16:02

I think most people like their houses to look and feel more homey. I personally think that modern architecture, with the square lines and walls of windows and weird angles jutting out (and extensive use of black- what's with that?!), looks and feels like a museum of modern art. It doesn't really lend itself to creating intimate spaces that would feel like home. Besides, most people go for what they know and what they grew up in- and that is mostly traditional-looking homes.

Account Closed
  • Roslyn, NY
Votes |
  • Roslyn, NY
Replied Oct 29 2016, 18:38

Thanks for the input guys. So what I'm getting is that it's just matter of opinion? My parents also share that opinion. They feel like it looks a workplace and not homely at all. I love how it looks though. Are there any drawbacks? Maybe insulation? Or cost? Thanks again.

User Stats

Votes
Kinley Puzey
  • Architect
  • Farmington, UT
Votes |
  • Architect
  • Farmington, UT
Replied Oct 31 2016, 13:43

@Account Closed,

As an architect I've worked with a lot of clients on both types of projects. My preferred style is more on the modern side. I feel it looks classy and high end. My wife on the other end things it looks harsh, cold, and uncomfortable. It really is a personal preference. I've found that a lot of younger clients prefer the more modern look and the opposite is true for the older generation. It might also depend on the area and who you are trying to cater to. If there is not a lot of them around you need to be the judge on if it's a risk you are willing to take. It would definitely make the home stand out from the rest but it may also be that there's a reason that the other homes in the area are not "modern".

My recommendation would be to go with your gut. I typically try to blend the two.  I try to find something that will make it pop whether it be a unique roof line or material choice that can help accentuate an area and update the home. 

I would also look at your home and ask yourself if it has the bones to be modern. If its a traditional symmetrical brick home with gable roof then its going to take a lot to make it look modern. The roof line has the most potential for making a home feel modern, at least from the outside. I quite often get clients that have a boring rectangle box with a boring roof and they want it modern but don't want make any significant exterior or roof improvements. 

It's hard to turn this..

into this.... 

without significant changes.

That being said, designing a nice home no matter the design should cost the same. Building a nice home no matter the style should cost about the same. The problem is with modern homes a lot of times you want to use wood or metal and those materials cost more then stucco and siding. A metal or flat roof is going to cost more than a truss roof with asphalt shingles. Also for some reasons, at least around here, you mention "Modern" and contractors charge more because they know that they need to be perfect in their execution because errors are more apparent when your concerned with clean lines.

Insulation costs are the same. The only cost differences come into play in the structure and final finishes. 

Hopefully that's helpful. 

User Stats

Votes
Karen Margrave
  • Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer
  • Redding, CA & Bend OR
Votes |
  • Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer
  • Redding, CA & Bend OR
ModeratorReplied Oct 31 2016, 13:48

We do modern style in coastal Orange County, CA.  However; practicality drives design in some areas of the country. If you get a lot of snow, you need a roofline that works with the snow load, etc. and rather than flat, you'd need a more pitched roof. That too can be done with a modern style. Loo at areas in Colorado, Oregon and Washington. 

Any style can actually have modern overtones. Down here there are areas where they have architectural reviews where they want Spanish style, so to build in those areas and go modern, you need to fuse the two together!  

@Kinley Puzey you need to broaden your mindset, modern style has been around for many decades.  I'm sure you've heard of Frank Lloyd Wright! Long before your time. 

I myself am a Boomer and not only love modern, but build it, as do many others my age and older, so you're forgiven. 

User Stats

Votes
Ramon Huerta
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kalamazoo, MI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kalamazoo, MI
Replied Nov 1 2016, 05:17

Kevin Cao I would just like for you to be cautious. I know when I first started I went over boards on modifications because that was what I liked but soon found out I was only targeting a very small demographic and I was not in a financial position to cater to that niche. So it's something you just have to be honest with yourself and what ever you decide I am sure you can make it work. I have seen both be very successful.