Votes
Michael Grannis
  • Lewiston, NY
Votes |
Buying cheapest land.

Michael Grannis
  • Lewiston, NY
Posted Dec 7 2016, 10:40
Hey all, my name is Mike. I'm looking to buy some vacant land. I want it to be as cheap as possible. Does anyone have any suggestions on what websites to use? so I know where to look. Any help would be great. Also I'm looking in the Upstate New York area.

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Kalaf
  • Wholesaler
  • New Hartford, NY
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • New Hartford, NY
Replied Dec 7 2016, 10:44

What are you doing with the land?  Does it need vehicle access?  How many acres?  Wooded, cleared, water?  

User Stats

Votes
Michael Grannis
  • Lewiston, NY
Votes |
  • Lewiston, NY
Replied Dec 7 2016, 10:49

Using it for recreation. Looking for 5-10 acres doesn't need to be cleared. Looking for it to have streams and vehicle access would be nice but not necessary.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Dacia Ray
  • Phoenicia, NY
Votes |
  • Phoenicia, NY
Replied Dec 8 2016, 04:53

I think Craigslist is your best bet! Especially in counties that are struggling. I see several pieces of land that fit the bill in Sullivan county on the Catskills craigslist. 

User Stats

Votes
Reginald Guercin
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Miami, FL
Replied Dec 10 2016, 16:16

You best bet would be to look for over the counter lands available as well as lands available for taxes. When a tax deed property or land was not sold in auction they tend to still have the property available for sale through the county and you can purchase it for the minimum bid amount and have that property free and clear. 

User Stats

Votes
Sourabh Bora
  • Bronx, NY
Votes |
  • Bronx, NY
Replied May 4 2018, 13:17

I recently went to the Ulster county tax sale. Some decent parcels went for $500 and up range. ( 1 acre and up ) .

The $50 and $100 parcels were pretty bad this time.

User Stats

Votes
Dan Roma
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Houston, TX
Replied May 5 2018, 11:33

There are several websites out there; landwatch, landhub, and landmodo are a few. But, do your due diligence. Consult with a local forestry official or some from the county tax office. Make sure you understand why theyre selling.