What inspection items should I fix?

3 Replies

I'm selling a property for the first time.  We are under contract with a buyer, and they had their inspection done.  They are asking for some things that in my opinion are really petty.  I'm wondering of the following items, should we have any of it fixed?  (We have agreed to fix some items like a few drywall patches, windows that wouldn't latch, replace burnt out lights).

These are the questionable items:

-Have HVAC unit serviced and have a P-trap installed.  (HVAC unit is 3 years old and runs perfectly fine).

-Apply firewall separation to the attic pull down ladder (metal sheathing or fire resistant drywall).

- Replace flexible type dryer vent with smooth metal type (supposedly the flexible one is a fire hazard?).

-Replace outlets in garage with GFCI outlets.

- Have pool contractor service pool vacuum that is reported to be running sluggishly (pool bottom looks clean whenever I'm there).

- Have chimney swept due to creosote build up.

Thanks for any input.  I want to be reasonable with the buyers but don't want to bend over backwards to accommodate every little item they want fixed.

I know the feeling, inspectors get paid to find problems. You never want to fix a house "so well" that the inspector cannot find issues, because they will poke holes in walls and leave them.......burns me up! 

Some of this is petty, but again, they are buying based on the inspector's recs. You could get an estimate from a handyman, see how much it all adds up to and ask the buyer if you give them a credit for the stuff. I have found that once you fix some of the items, they want the inspector to come out and make sure its all done to their specs. So you may have to send someone out multiple times. 

Not a lot of major stuff here, I'd offer to take it off the purchase price and let them deal with it. 

Don't agree to fix anything. Monetize the repairs, and counter their repairs with some money to go as a credit to them at closing. Doing so will open you up to headache and liability. At the final walk through, they will look at every item with a fine tooth comb to find something you missed and they will refuse to close backing you up in a corner. 

An experienced investor, much wiser than I am, suggested when you got a laundry list of items that  inspector says needs to be fixed that you agree to fix half of them. I took that advice one step further.  I write down the cost of every item they're asking for and do a lot of the cheap ones so it may look like I'm doing 80% of their work request but I'm only spending half the money or less then the whole list. This has resulted in an agreement on all but one of the flips we've done. That said it is customary to service your furnace and to have the chimney cleaned out prior to selling. GFCI outlets are easy to install, the rest I would not agree to do. Good luck

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here