How to evict an inherited tenant in NJ?

1 Reply

So I'm looking at a property and the seller wants to evict the tenant because they're not paying.  In NJ, does anyone know how much it costs to do an eviction and what the process is?

Originally posted by @John S Lewis :

So I'm looking at a property and the seller wants to evict the tenant because they're not paying.  In NJ, does anyone know how much it costs to do an eviction and what the process is?

My experience is through my mom who rented her 2nd floor portion of her house. She lived on the first floor. Both separate metered and separate furnaces.  

It took her over 2 years (i can't remember exactly but it was over 2) to get rid of this tenant through the court system that allowed the tenant to continue living there. The tenant would stop paying and they went to court only for the tenant to pay some portion that the court looked at as the tenant acting in good faith and would not evict. This went on for years until finally her lawyer and an act of a higher power finally were able to get this person out.  She would lie about any and everything to the court that no one could prove-disprove but somehow was believed and the court system accepted.

My mom made the mistake of doing a kind thing and not doing a background check and whatever lease existed I'm not sure of. I stayed out of it and let her lawyer handle this but after it was all over I asked does she really need to rent out that space.  After she got rid of the tenant she asked the neighbor across the street could she rent and she said NO. She saw what my mom went through with her.

So in your case I hope you have all the documentation so it doesn't take that long.  This is more story than required but I see a lot of stories on NJ eviction that mirror my moms and it seems like a rather long and difficult process. I guess it's a tenant friendly state.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.