Votes
Daniel Avery
  • Auburn, AL
Votes |
Security Deposit Transfer

Daniel Avery
  • Auburn, AL
Posted Feb 4 2018, 07:13
Hey all I️ have been reading these forums for a while. Really amazing info. I️ am buying two rentals from another investor and he collected a security deposit three years ago when the tenant moved in. I am buying the house from him and will be transferring the section 8 income into my LLC. My question is what is the procedure for the security deposit? Should the current owner transfer the money over to me? Any advice on this would be appreciated. Thank you

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied Feb 4 2018, 08:12
It should be transfered and on the HUD statement at closing in a normal sale. You need to see how the section 8 transfer works, if it is different. Have an estopel signed by the tenant with the basic terms of the lease and deposit on hold. Again section 8 verify what you need to do in your area.

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Avery
  • Auburn, AL
Votes |
  • Auburn, AL
Replied Feb 4 2018, 08:55

Got it. Thank you

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Cara Lonsdale
  • Realtor and Investor
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Realtor and Investor
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Feb 4 2018, 09:29

Everything should transfer.  In fact, even the rent from the current month should be prorated at COE so that whatever days are left in the month go to you.  Security deposit is transferred too.

• Real Estate Agent Arizona (#SA505546000)

Cara Lonsdale, PLLC Logo

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Avery
  • Auburn, AL
Votes |
  • Auburn, AL
Replied Feb 4 2018, 11:46

So I️ just signed a cash deal to put it under contract yesterday and then I️ woke up thinking about this today.

What should I tell my realtor?