First property in Atlanta area

3 Replies

Hello! excited to start my real estate journey! I am planning on buying my first property in the Atlanta area (thinking about Sandy Springs or Smyrna). Would like to know if there are any grants that do not require you to live there 5 years. Any strategies, lenders, or tips for first time home buyer are appreciated as well :)

Hi @Eliecer Trillos ! Are you already connected one or more of the excellent real estate investor associations (REIAs) here in Atlanta, like Georgia REIA and Atlanta REIA?

If not, go join immediately! If already a member, go to their meetings and talk to investors who already have properties in those areas you are considering. There's no reason not to learn from the experiences of others.

Good luck!

@Eliecer Trillos Check out NACA, Brightpath, and ANDP. If you Google “Home buyer’s assistance” and/or “First time home buyer’s assistance programs” you should get a ton of options.

If you can take advantage of one of these programs, you absolutely should as you will only be a first time buyer once. I used a Citibank program for my first purchase back in 2005 and it was a nice help - $5,000 to cover closing costs/pay down price of loan. I also had a dedicated loan officer who I could bug with all my newbie questions :)

Programs out now are even better as many like NACA will cover your down payment.
The downside is they move super slow and often are only applicable if you are buying in a target area or if you have certain income ranges. Lots of red tape...but if it will save you thousands, it’s probably worth the headache.

Thank you guys! I am definitely attending the next REIA meeting and checking the different assistance programs!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here