Contractors looking at it like there making me rich

80 Replies

@Jason Powell

I'm sorry you feel that way, Jason, and I wasn't out to shame you or be rude.

I hope we can have this conversation some other day in a different setting. It would be a long one. Good luck to you and everything that you do.

“Only those beneath me can envy or hate me. I have never been envied nor hated; I am above no one. Only those above me can praise or belittle me. I have never been praised nor belittled; I am below no one.” - Kahlil Gibran

You've gotten a lot of nominally conflicting advice in this thread... Fix your public image vs. Don't worry about what other people think. Both of these sentiments are value judgements regarding status.

There is nothing intrinsically wrong (or right) with valuing status. If you are competitive in many fields you are constantly ranked compared to others: Batting averages, class rank, monthly sales, etc. 

Here is my .02 cents worth:

• You won't build a team by crawling over the dead bodies of your team mates (you need contractors on your team)
  • You will seldom be the best or the worst in the activities where you compete.  
  • You will run into people with personality disorders. You can't fix them-- don't  play with them.
  • Figure out what your values are (it's harder than you think); and be true to your values.
Originally posted by @Jason Powell :

@Derrick E.

"......tell whether or not they work hard or sit at a desk all day."

Please explain your reasoning on why hard work is only synonymous with manual labor. 

I'm genuinely interested to hear your perspective. My day job often feels very grueling to me, much harder at times than when I worked 50 hrs/week doing manual labor on a job site.

The fact that you even have to ask that question tells me all I need to know. I'm sure you do work hard at your desk but don't try and compare that to manual labor working with raw hands because the blisters popped and haven't fully calloused over yet.

Maybe its wrong of me, but yes, I judge people based off of a hand shake. When their hands feel like they sit at a desk all day I chuckle inside my head. 

@Derrick E. well that just goes to show there are judgemental people wearing both blue and white collars...none better than the other

Dude why do you care what people think of you. Stop being an approval seeking sissy. These people don’t know anything about you and your letting what they say about you get to you. I work in construction building houses everyday working my tail off to get where your at. You should be proud of that. 8 out of ten people I work with, I can’t go a day without hearing them talk trash about the people we work for. He’s stupid, he doesn’t no how to run a job, he’s lazy, and the truth is their jealous Whiney a**es who have to talk crap the make their selves feel better because their not doing what your doing. your giving them an opportunity to make money.if they didn’t want to do it they wouldn’t be their.

Originally posted by @Michael K. :
@Derrick E. well that just goes to show there are judgemental people wearing both blue and white collars...none better than the other

'

Never said one was better than the other. If someone wants to talk to me about hard work their hands better have callouses, blisters, cuts/scrapes, etc when they go to shake my hand. If not then I can't take them serious.

@Derrick E. I see where you're coming from, you mean hard MANUAL work. Just to give you a different perspective on other types of hard work, there are people with desk jobs that put in 80+ hours a week for entry level analyst positions. I don't envy those hours but I hear if they stick around long enough before they burn out they hit the 6 figure income mark by getting a bonus at year end. I hear most never make it long enough to see the bonus and 6 figures... I don't know about you but 80+ hours a week is respectable in my book even if it's not manual labor, especially if they haven't gone crazy behind the desk or jumped out the window...that type of work is mentally taxing

What a dumb thread of a bunch of grown men swinging their D***'s around.

oh, and to the OP- you are far from a humble person.. All it takes it a quick glance through your posts. For example, your thread about "Friends and family wanting to copy what I do" because you "Came from the bottom". Congratulations, a lot of people have and many will continue.. You should be MORE than happy to help them out, Give them advice, and help them learn but clearly you're just in it for yourself and the money. It's harder to hold onto something than it is to obtain it.. stay humble. 

on top of all that you ask pretty basic questions about running numbers- ya know... the easiest part of real estate. Seems to me as if you're a massive wanttrepreneur. 

Thread about talking finances with your father? he only makes 175k? Tell me again how hard you had it growing up. 

Updated 9 months ago

wantrepreneur*

@Dylan Mejo yeah, you're right. On another note regarding"stealth wealth", how do you go about accomplishing that if you intend on house hacking in a 2-4 multifamily and your tenants are your neighbors?
Originally posted by @Michael K. :
@Dylan Mejo yeah, you're right.

On another note regarding"stealth wealth", how do you go about accomplishing that if you intend on house hacking in a 2-4 multifamily and your tenants are your neighbors?

Tell them you're the property manger

@Michael K.

You see, this is the break in perception that interests me most. Derrick is talking about one thing, you're talking about another, and ne'er the twain shall meet. I can understand your point, Michael, but when you come home aching all over for weeks on end every summer, seven days a week because you had to use all the sunlight there was in the day, and the physical exhaustion shuts down your brain no matter how much you wish you could keep thinking, I don't think it's quite the same thing. Nobody at your white-collar job is going to lose a foot or end up in a wheelchair if they lose focus.

On the other hand, blue-collar people don't know the joy of being asked to draw seven red lines, all of them strictly perpendicular to each other, some with green ink, some with transparent ink, all while your manager insists, "There is no such thing as impossible!" The mind-numbing hum of a cubicle farm, the little family pictures on every desk, the chronic stress levels carefully maintained by bosses always ready with the stick and grudgingly offering the carrot only when forced to. The crisis management that forces you to lurch from one counter-productive activity to the other. The email that ruins your day. The jockeying for position in the office politics. The smarmy appeals for synergy. The way Nadia in Accounting always, always just lays her sticky coffee stirrer down on the break room table instead of throwing it away. That boss who is always spreading cheer and blame and keeps up his tan and teeth-bleaching in January.

@Jim K. that's pretty much what I was trying to show, there are differing kinds of hard work from different perspectives. Lol, nice descriptions. It seems like you've been in both trenches.

@Michael K.

As God is my witness, I'll never be cubicled again.

@Jim K. I used to do the construction side of things but did bare minimum to get my company up and running. I realized that it is good to def know all the skills so you can know what to look for. But is my time better spent swigging a hammer or contracting that out and finding more deals and growing the business. The money is on the investor side and its a shame and since i started ive always felt bad for the construction guys and very much so respected them for it. Guess just how it goes its sad really.

@Dylan Mejo When ive said that about friends and family wanting to copy me it was because they never wanted to be my friend or have anything to do with me before that because i was some construction worker. They looked down on me and now they wanna come out and be my best friend. So what ive learned and educated myself about i should give away to the people who never spoke to me and were ******** to me?  Never said only 175K likes its no big money if i did say it then huge mistake. He just literally got to that point after retiring from the army. When he is very proud and happy to make that because its never been close to that. 

@Dylan Mejo Wouldnt it be hard to say im a wantrepreneur? When i started with $15,000 and turned into $1,000,000? Yea your right this is a messed up thread because of the way you perceived me and took things.

@Joshua D.

Would your time be best spent teaching others how to swing a hammer? What I mean is that we're structured much like a small construction company, not an investment outfit. A construction company leans very heavily on its team leads. Training excellent team leads is perhaps the most difficult part of running a good outfit.

Originally posted by @Joshua D. :

@Dylan Mejo Wouldnt it be hard to say im a wantrepreneur? When i started with $15,000 and turned into $1,000,000? Yea your right this is a messed up thread because of the way you perceived me and took things.

Congrats, there you go boasting again. 

A million? BIG DEAL- that’s not a lot of money. perspective.  

Most wealthy people don’t go around trying to flaunt their 1 mil of non liquid cash. 

@Dylan Mejo not boasting just telling you saying after ur comments i came from $15,000 i saved to 1 million which is alot to me and isnt alot for people on here and obviously your self and far from wealthy a long way to go.

Just do you

If you earned it, your money and your muscles and they're jealous, **** em!

Don't work with people with such frail egos. When I was younger and building homes I had many subs who were jealous and it was obvious. 
And don't listen to all the *** clowns on here telling you to be something your not. You can be humble and confident too and you will inspire the RIGHT PEOPLE by being exactly who you are.

Originally posted by @Jim K. :

@Michael Kolaghassi

As God is my witness, I'll never be cubicled again.

May you lie in greener pastures...go forth and be free!

@Joshua D. exactly what comments and who did it come from?

I can honestly say I have never had a contractor make a comment about my wealth, how much money they perceive I am making, or how lucky I am. Actually most seem to be happy to be working on the job, not making snide remarks.

I can't give you any advice that would be new to this thread, but my wife made a great comment the other night.

"If you can't change what people think or say the only thing you can change is your reaction". If a contractor comments about you being some lucky, wealthy kid, you can change your reaction and possible earn their respect.

I thought the same thing when my septic guy drove up in a jacked up Chevy Silverado 2500 Rocky Ridge Metal Mulisha that he almost needed a ladder to get into.  I was thinking, "This guy must really be making a killing off of me," but I said, "Wow, nice truck!"   He bashfully explained that his wife bought it for him, because he works really hard and she thought he deserved it.  He said, "I would have never bought this for myself, I was happy with my old truck."   Then I thought about how much sh!# he deals with on a daily basis, and cut him some slack.  I still use him for my septic jobs.

Try to look at the world through other people's eyes. It sounds easier than it actually is. It's a daily practice for me but it has built self-awareness and empathy.If you can see what others see in you then you can anticipate these negative feelings they are having and change your behavior and attitude to reflect the kind of person you want to see in the mirror.I try to treat all my employees with respect and give without expectation. My business and personal relationships have thrived as a result. I'd recommend listening to this book. Good luck Joshua D. https://www.audible.com/pd/Business/The-Go-Giver-E...   

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here