People are fleeing California, are you?

311 Replies

Originally posted by @Karen Margrave :

I was born and raised in CA. It's so heartbreaking to see what is happening to it.  A recent poll says that 46% of the people plan on leaving the bay area. Let's do our own poll (FOR CALIFORNIANS or those that recently left in the past 5 years) 

  • Do you live in California? 
  • Have you lived in California in the past 5 years?
  • If so, where?
  • Will you be staying or leaving? 
  • Why?
  • What is your full time income producing job?  

No need to be sad about California as it is doing really well and a lot of people have made their real estate fortunes here. Live, born and raised in So Cal my whole life. I own several properties in Los Angeles (they are all riding the Jamison Properties wave! Thank you Dr. Lee!), work as a CPA for a private equity firm and have no plans to leave.  I love it here too much.

I beat the rush. Left 19 years ago from the Central Valley to Vegas for more business opportunities, entertainment and dining choices, less traffic, cheaper gas, no income tax, cheaper flights, bigger newer houses, lower utilities, gambling, lower property taxes, lower sales tax, cheaper insurance, real estate investing for all those reasons plus MUCH more favorable to landlords. 

For the wife, Better trauma hospital for the her to work at with a shorter drive, better hours, better pay, public retirement system, and no union required, or yeah, and no income taxes. :-)

Born and Raised in the San Fernando Valley ( LA County ). I'm not leaving. Investors and real estate agents wish they were doing business in LA or the Bay Area! Great place to make money in RE and many other businesses. 

Originally posted by @Vinay H. :

Well, the police officers, teachers and nurses are still needed right? And they will need higher wages. And this will increase their pension. And so they will raise taxes. Which should be easy since the "rich people" live there. And Republic of California will probably come up with all sorts of affordable housing and restrictions to keep the prices "affordable". 

  • Do you live in California?                                         NO                                                      
  • Have you lived in California in the past 5 years   YES
  • If so, where?                                                               SoCal (LA/OC)
  • Will you be staying or leaving?                                Split to Cincinnati in 2015
  • Why?                                                                            Couldn't Compete with The Best and The Brightest. I'm a Low IQ Loser. 
  • What is your full time income producing job?     I'm a Rich CALPERS Millionaire Retiree. but I own a 39 unit apartment complex "hobby" which I spend about 2 hours per week keeping track of. I blow every single dollar that that sucker brings in every month. MAGA!

***Rent control***, state wide, is coming to California, courtesy of Progressive Politics, Diversity and Tolerance. I am delighted when I read the news everyday and see how California is leading the way on every single progressive issue!!!!

I am very sad that I am no longer living there so that I can witness the progress being made on a daily basis. I look forward to newer, fresher, more progressive ideas from the incoming leadership, Governor-Elect Gavin Newsom!!!

Fortunately, my wife's entire family is in the OC, and I have almost three decades of SoCal based friendships, so we get out there a couple of times per year to "recharge our internal solar batteries". My chest swells with pride when I view what California has become over the last 30 years! 

Essentially, we moved out to make room for more incoming millionaires!  

DL

I left California after college some 20 years ago. But will eventually move back. Love the weather there and the people. Currently buying MF in the South East. 

What I find funny is that people are "fleeing" CA (MA, NY and NJ), then driving the RE prices through the roof in other places in the South East. Houses that cost $200k 6 years ago are now above $400k in my neighborhood. 

I live in Las Vegas, but always enjoy visiting SoCal Newport and Laguna in summers to cool off.  Great place to vacation and I could afford to buy in the coastal towns but it makes no sense after you factor in ever increasing taxes and regulation (too get worse unless Cox pulls off an upset), Pro-tenant laws, hypocritical politics, very low cap rates, Mello-Roos, gas taxes, SALT cap deduction effects, etc.  Oh and some extreme water problems coming.  Vegas and Phoenix have much more upside in the next 3-5 years I think.

@Sam Josh the statistics don't lie. The US Census bureau clearly shows that for several years the net state to state migration has showed a loss of people from California going to other states. The only reason the population has increased is due to birth and immigration from other countries. All the high paying tech jobs are being filled with people here on H1-B visas from China and India. So clearly there is an issue for the average Californian when more are choosing to leave each year than are being replaced with from other states.

  • Do you live in California?   Yes
  • Have you lived in California in the past 5 years?   Yes
  • If so, where?   San Diego
  • Will you be staying or leaving?   Staying
  • Why?    I own a vineyard and need to be close to my wine. 
  • What is your full time income producing job?    Real estate. 

As someone who is always out and about in the community, I've witnessed a rather large number of people in retirement age leaving CA.  

  • Do you live in California? Yes
  • Have you lived in California in the past 5 years? Yes, 23 years now.
  • If so, where? San Diego
  • Will you be staying or leaving? Staying but have contemplated moving to a lower cost/tax locale.  But my family situation prevents that.  Besides, I love the San Diego climate too much!
  • Why? If I were to move it would be to reduce expenses from living in a lower cost state whereby I could effectively retire.
  • What is your full time income producing job? Software engineer.  Also starting up a business with my wife.
  • Do you live in California? Yes
  • Have you lived in California in the past 5 years? Yes, about 6 years
  • If so, where? Santa Barbara
  • Will you be staying or leaving? I will be staying
  • Why? Santa Barbara is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to. Great economy, endless waves, and really friendly people.
  • What is your full time income producing job? Appfolio Property Management Software

Great topic!

  • Do you live in California? Yes
  • Have you lived in California in the past 5 years? Born and raised
  • If so, where? SF Bay area
  • Will you be staying or leaving? I will be staying
  • Why? Family, culture, food, diversity, weather, pool of intellectual capital, many ambitious, smart and inspiring folks, academia
  • What is your full time income producing job? Project architect/designer, commercial and multifamily investor

Yes there are many things wrong with California. I do not agree with some of the views and policy of the government leadership, but I believe wherever you go, there will be pros and cons.  The pros just outweigh the cons for me here.

  • Do you live in California? yes
  • Have you lived in California in the past 5 years? yes, virtually my entire life.
  • If so, where? San Diego
  • Will you be staying or leaving? Plan on staying.   If I leave it will be because it is too crowded.  Ironic considering the name of this thread.  As Yogi Berra stated "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded".  
  • Why? climate, culture, environment, recreation opportunities, where my RE is located, where my family is located.
  • What is your full time income producing job? RE but my hobby is Avionics SW engineer.
  • California had the 3rd largest population increase in 2017 according to the census and it has nearly 1.5 times the population of the second most populated state (Texas).  I celebrate each family that chooses to move out of California because the crowds are the thing I like least about California.  I expect to have a high cost of living to live in such a place as San Diego.  Fortunately, I was smart enough or lucky enough to purchase some San Diego RE. 

    I expect high taxes because the public servants (police, firemen, teachers, etc.) and various contractors/service providers have to get paid enough to survive in the expensive environment of San Diego.

    For my child, I plan on providing him a home to live when the time comes.  Not sure how it will be done but he will have the opportunity to live in San Diego regardless of the profession he chooses (I do not want pay to be a primary consideration in his chosen profession).

    It is costly to living in paradise (paradise other than the crowds).

    • Do you live in California?  YES!
    • Have you lived in California in the past 5 years? Raised here 27 of my 28 years!
    • If so, where? Raised in Bakersfield, lived in L.A. for 8 years, and recently moved back to Bakersfield to be close to family and for affordability options.
    • Will you be staying or leaving? Most likely staying, possibly moving around CA or abroad in the future.
    • Why? The opportunities and amenities are abundant in CA. Especially in my little big city we are seeing big improvements due to its affordability in comparison to other cities in CA. The outdoors in CA are also amazing! 
    • What is your full time income producing job? Freelance Art Director in the film industry, though recently moving towards pursuing real estate investing especially since I have moved away from the film industry hub of L.A.

    Do you live in California? Yes
    • Have you lived in California in the past 5 years? Yes
    • If so, where? Santa Clarita
    • Will you be staying or leaving? Staying
    • Why? It’s a beautiful day (weather and family)

    I have lived in Austin as well. California weather is awesome. grew up here in outskirts of LA and where I am now. Los Angeles has millions of people in small radius and a lot of money to make. I do not agree with sentiment that people are leaving etc, agree with points made above about how surveys are skewed. 5th greatest economy in the world, sounds like the pit.. j/k

    Happiness does not exist because of ones surroundings, ie. diversity, weather, restaurants... Happiness exists in freedom and the right to choose your own path. If people are leaving then that is their CHOICE. And god bless them and good luck to them.

    Originally posted by @Ali Boone :

    I'll play! :)

    • Do you live in California? Yes- SoCal
    • Have you lived in California in the past 5 years? Yes, 8 years total
    • If so, where? Palmdale 1 year, West LA 2 years, Venice 5 years
    • Will you be staying or leaving? STAYING! 
    • Why? I love CA. Best weather, diversity, very progressive, major outdoors options, couldn't imagine leaving
    • What is your full time income producing job? I'm a mutt- business owner, RE investor, property manager, business consultant, pilot

     Hawaii has better weather than CA. 73-86F year round, low humidity. CA (Bay Area) has weird times where it is hot one day, and freezing and super windy in the low 50s the next. Surfing in Hawaii is world class, year-round with board shorts and never a wetsuit, with the average swell better than anything CA has to offer. Same outdoor options that take 45-90 minutes from CA, are a 5 minute drive on Oahu. Usually with better views too! Just saying.. :P

    Originally posted by @Sam Josh :

    People are fleeing. Lol!!! That’s world class BS!!

    Very few people are leaving and they are at the lower income scale. I deduce this from the uhaul article. I doubt well off families rent uhauls to move states.

    Some more people are “thinking” about leaving. LOTS are “talking” about it but are not leaving, can’t leave or won’t leave. But it makes for cool party talk or happy hour topics to gossip about.

    I don’t know anyone who is leaving or has left because it’s expensive. People figure it out.

    The media however is cooking up stories about a mass migration of some sorts. That migration usually happens when the economy crashes and not when things are booming. Well whatever helps sell news I guess. They need to pay bills too.

    Fact is this, more people are coming in vs leaving. Lots of jobs are being created. If you took a pulse of the youth all over the country and even abroad, most want to move to California if they could.

    So yes let’s do illustrative math. Just illustrative.

    10 people are leaving, 25 are coming in. 100 people are thinking about moving. 10000 are talking about it to kill time (and may be contributing to news) and 20000 would move here if they got a chance.

     You don't know anyone who is leaving.. really. Ever hear of Tim Ferriss? Silicon Valley writer/entrepreneur who left SF for Austin. He gave a list of about 20 reasons on his blog. And being "expensive" was certainly not one of them.

    Many businesses are leaving. They are all going to Puerto Rico, Arizona, Nevada, Georgia, Texas, and Florida. I have never payed a state tax due to military status, and you can't make me pay a 13% state tax even if I earn $1M per year. That is theft. As I mentioned above, Hawaii has better weather, better beaches, better surfing, and comparable ethnic food/nightlife (Honolulu). As far as real estate, you can make money in both :)

    Originally posted by @Ricardo P. :

    @Sam Josh the statistics don't lie. The US Census bureau clearly shows that for several years the net state to state migration has showed a loss of people from California going to other states. The only reason the population has increased is due to birth and immigration from other countries. All the high paying tech jobs are being filled with people here on H1-B visas from China and India. So clearly there is an issue for the average Californian when more are choosing to leave each year than are being replaced with from other states.

    No doubt there are plenty of companies that hire H1-B employees, but this is more a side effect of the lack of quality engineers rather than the desire to hire the lowest wage individual. This used to be true in the past, but most companies realize that hiring quality local talent produces better results than several cheaper engineers.

    I like this thread!

    • Do you live in California? YES
    • Have you lived in California in the past 5 years? YES!!! My whole life. 
    • If so, where? Pasadena, Altadena, Walnut Creek
    • Will you be staying or leaving? Staying
    • Why? I have traveled to so many different parts of the country, and when they say theres no place like home, there really is no place like home. 
    • What is your full time income producing job?  Wholesaler here in the pasadena/altadena area. 
    Originally posted by @Andrey Y. :
    Originally posted by @Ali Boone:

    I'll play! :)

    • Do you live in California? Yes- SoCal
    • Have you lived in California in the past 5 years? Yes, 8 years total
    • If so, where? Palmdale 1 year, West LA 2 years, Venice 5 years
    • Will you be staying or leaving? STAYING! 
    • Why? I love CA. Best weather, diversity, very progressive, major outdoors options, couldn't imagine leaving
    • What is your full time income producing job? I'm a mutt- business owner, RE investor, property manager, business consultant, pilot

     Hawaii has better weather than CA. 73-86F year round, low humidity. CA (Bay Area) has weird times where it is hot one day, and freezing and super windy in the low 50s the next. Surfing in Hawaii is world class, year-round with board shorts and never a wetsuit, with the average swell better than anything CA has to offer. Same outdoor options that take 45-90 minutes from CA, are a 5 minute drive on Oahu. Usually with better views too! Just saying.. :P

     You are wrong! Hawai‘i sucks. No one should think about moving here.

    Originally posted by @Andrey Y. :
    Originally posted by @Sam Josh:

    People are fleeing. Lol!!! That’s world class BS!!

    Very few people are leaving and they are at the lower income scale. I deduce this from the uhaul article. I doubt well off families rent uhauls to move states.

    Some more people are “thinking” about leaving. LOTS are “talking” about it but are not leaving, can’t leave or won’t leave. But it makes for cool party talk or happy hour topics to gossip about.

    I don’t know anyone who is leaving or has left because it’s expensive. People figure it out.

    The media however is cooking up stories about a mass migration of some sorts. That migration usually happens when the economy crashes and not when things are booming. Well whatever helps sell news I guess. They need to pay bills too.

    Fact is this, more people are coming in vs leaving. Lots of jobs are being created. If you took a pulse of the youth all over the country and even abroad, most want to move to California if they could.

    So yes let’s do illustrative math. Just illustrative.

    10 people are leaving, 25 are coming in. 100 people are thinking about moving. 10000 are talking about it to kill time (and may be contributing to news) and 20000 would move here if they got a chance.

     You don't know anyone who is leaving.. really. Ever hear of Tim Ferriss? Silicon Valley writer/entrepreneur who left SF for Austin. He gave a list of about 20 reasons on his blog. And being "expensive" was certainly not one of them.

    Many businesses are leaving. They are all going to Puerto Rico, Arizona, Nevada, Georgia, Texas, and Florida. I have never payed a state tax due to military status, and you can't make me pay a 13% state tax even if I earn $1M per year. That is theft. As I mentioned above, Hawaii has better weather, better beaches, better surfing, and comparable ethnic food/nightlife (Honolulu). As far as real estate, you can make money in both :)

     Again. Hawai‘i sucks. Save yourself while you still can. You will regret moving to Hawai‘i. Too much humidity and too expensive. California is WAYYYYY better.

    Originally posted by @Sam Josh :

    I don’t know anyone who is leaving or has left because it’s expensive. People figure it out.

    I can't predict the future, but I can think through my game theory alternatives.

    The home equity I harvested by selling my San Jose home in 2015 is $X. If I had stayed there a few more years, maybe my harvested equity would be $2X. Or maybe $0X.

    I've learned two things from watching Warren Buffett over the years: (1) He always sells way too soon. (2) He remains one of the wealthiest people on the planet.

    I'm glad people from wherever are flocking to California and want to buy a home there. It's easier to sell a home in a strong market than it is in a weak market.

    The cost to rent my Pensacola apartment is only 25-30% of what it would cost to rent the same apartment in the SF Bay Area (house prices are similarly lower here). Since I'm a happy camper with air conditioning and a broadband Internet connection, I can deal with living in a less expensive zip code. Besides, no one wants to hire a tech worker who was forced to use a slide rule in engineering school before electronic calculators were invented.

    Our entire town here in North Texas is full of high income Cali transplants. Entire companies have moved their hq here & I see California license plates every day driving. Know many people that have escaped or wish too. They typically overpay for houses here too!

    Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

    Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

    Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

    • Actionable advice for getting started,
    • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
    • Learn how to get started with or without money,
    • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
    • And a LOT more.

    We hate spam just as much as you

    Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

    Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

    Start here